The Next Famous US Skyline

What will be the next famous US Skyline?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the next famous US Skyline?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Cleveland
    • Pittsburgh
    • Philadelphia
    • Detroit
    • Los Angeles
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Seattle
    • Minneapolis
    • Honolulu
    • Kansas City (Both Sides)
    • St. Louis
    • Phoenix
    • San Antonio
    • Austin
    • San Diego
    • Boston
    • Other

"Largest Urban Areas" in the US as defined by the Census Bureau.

Urban Areas:

1. New York - 17,799,861

2. Los Angeles - 11,789,487

3. Chicago - 8,307,904

4. Philadelphia - 5,149,079

5. Miami - 4,919,036

6. Dallas - 4,145,659

7. Boston - 4,032,484

8. Washington - 3,933,920

9. Detroit - 3,903,377

10. Houston - 3,822,509

11. Atlanta - 3,499,840

12. San Francisco - 2,995,769

13. Phoenix - 2,907,049

14. Seattle - 2,712,205

15. San Diego - 2,674,436

16. Minneapolis - 2,388,593

17. St. Louis - 2,077,662

18. Baltimore - 2,076,354

19. Tampa - 2,062,339

20. Denver - 1,984,887

47. Charlotte - 758,927

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Post a link NS. Charlotte is at 650k in pop just for the city. Almost 900K for the county. YOUR STATS ARE WRONG...Here is a link for ya'

Hrere is the pop of Mecklenburg county alone. THIS ARE DIRECT STATS FROM THE CENSUS FOR JUST MECKLENBURG COUNTY ALONE. (NOT THE REGION)

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=187

Here is the numbers for NOW, 2005. Your numbers are OFF big time ...

POPULATION PROJECTIONS

FOR MECKLENBURG COUNTY

2004- 2010

Year Population

2004 801,137

2005 829,978

2006 859,857

2007 890,812

2008 922,882

2009 956,105

2010 990,525

I am done arguing about numbers. I have posted link after link, number after number. This is a fruitless conversation and debate. This is not even the topic of the thread. I have no idea why pople get such a kick out of bashing certain cities. But one thing that frustrates me to no end is when posters post misleading qoutes on pure facts. This is my last post on this issue NS. I have no problem with your city or you, so please quit trying to make a big deal out of nothing. Geeeez. Let's focus on sharing positives about one anothers cities instead of trying to wage war.

B)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Largest Urban Areas" in the US as defined by the Census Bureau.

Urban Areas:

1. New York - 17,799,861

2. Los Angeles - 11,789,487

3. Chicago - 8,307,904

4. Philadelphia - 5,149,079

5. Miami - 4,919,036

6. Dallas - 4,145,659

7. Boston - 4,032,484

8. Washington - 3,933,920

9. Detroit - 3,903,377

10. Houston - 3,822,509

11. Atlanta - 3,499,840

12. San Francisco - 2,995,769

13. Phoenix - 2,907,049

14. Seattle - 2,712,205

15. San Diego - 2,674,436

16. Minneapolis - 2,388,593

17. St. Louis - 2,077,662

18. Baltimore - 2,076,354

19. Tampa - 2,062,339

20. Denver - 1,984,887

47. Charlotte - 758,927

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I agree that this is what the Census website states, you have to take into account what it is surveying. That number for Charlotte pretty much was talking about Mecklenburg county only. The immediate Charlotte metro area is at least 1.5 million. If you consider the true Charlotte metro area its actually a little over 2 mil. I'm not gonna go as far as to say Charlotte is the fifth largest urban area or anything like that, but to say Charlotte's metro population is 758,927 is just as crazy. I'm too busy working to look this all up, but someone back me up here...

Post a link NS. Charlotte is at 650k in pop just for the city. Almost 900K for the county. YOUR STATS ARE WRONG...Here is a link for ya'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! Visit the Census web site and look it up for yourself. It's obvious that you need to study up on these topics. You don't even know the definition of an urban area. Seriously, not all of Charlotte's 650k people are considered to be living in an urban area

Hrere is the pop of Mecklenburg county alone. THIS ARE DIRECT STATS FROM THE CENSUS FOR JUST MECKLENBURG COUNTY ALONE. (NOT THE REGION)

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=187

Here is the numbers for NOW, 2005. Your numbers are OFF big time ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're posting estimates provided by a local Chamber of Commerce. I'm posting official number released by the Census Bureau.

I am done arguing about numbers. I have posted link after link, number after number. This is a fruitless conversation and debate. This is not even the topic of the thread. I have no idea why pople get such a kick out of bashing certain cities. But one thing that frustrates me to no end is when posters post misleading qoutes on pure facts. This is my last post on this issue NS. I have no problem with your city or you, so please quit trying to make a big deal out of nothing. Geeeez. Let's focus on sharing positives about one anothers cities instead of trying to wage war.

B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good because your failing miserably at trying to convince people that you actually know what you're talking about. You're posting numbers given by the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. You do realize it's a Chamber's job to boost its city in every possible way.

As far as name recognition goes, I'd say Nashville is on up there. Everybody knows the Grand Ole Opry is there (most even think Elvis is from there). I was talking to some people from Louisiana the other day and they asked if I went to the Grand Ole Opry all the time. Our skyline is humble but kind of recognizable because of BellSouth. Maybe if Signature gets built we'll be more of a contender.

I'd say Atlanta is pretty recognizable because of BofA and Westin. Charlotte's skyline is very identifiable (to me, at least). One of my favorites, though, is Minneapolis. It's so dense. I almost got to go there a few weeks ago, but I wasn't able to.

While I agree that this is what the Census website states, you have to take into account what it is surveying. That number for Charlotte pretty much was talking about Mecklenburg county only. The immediate Charlotte metro area is at least 1.5 million. If you consider the true Charlotte metro area its actually a little over 2 mil. I'm not gonna go as far as to say Charlotte is the fifth largest urban area or anything like that, but to say Charlotte's metro population is 758,927 is just as crazy. I'm too busy working to look this all up, but someone back me up here...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The list I posted was for metro areas. So, for Charlotte's 1.4 - 1.8 million people 700k+ are considered an urban population.

LOL!  Visit the Census web site and look it up for yourself.  It's obvious that you need to study up on these topics.  You don't even know the definition of an urban area.  Seriously, not all of Charlotte's 650k people are considered to be living in an urban area

You're posting estimates provided by a local Chamber of Commerce.  I'm posting official number released by the Census Bureau.

Good because your failing miserably at trying to convince people that you actually know what you're talking about.  You're posting numbers given by the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce.  You do realize it's a Chamber's job to boost its city in every possible way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

POST IT THEN.

A2

POST IT THEN.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Direct from Homeland security.

http://www.dem.dcc.state.nc.us/HomelandSec...ea%20(2003).pdf

1.8 Million. It READS URBAN AREA...page 2 section 2

DIRECT FROM THE CENSUS SITE.

Mecklenburg County alone

almost 800K, that was in 04'...where do you get your info. I pulled directly from gov't sites to prove your own figures wrong.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFP...xt=fph&pgsl=160

All right, let's try something. If you honestly think Charlotte's skyline is better than every single city on this list, then make a post saying that that is what you believe. If not, then write a quick response of what city you like the most, and why. And all I want is just one sentence or two writing why your city's skyline is good. Not why everyone else's is bad, and not how many people live in the 20 counties surrounding your city, which is completely irrevelant at the moment. I'll go first.

I believe Philadelphia has the skyline with the most potential to become well known, because it has a couple tall skyscrapers that are very beautiful, and another stunning tallest on its way.

I request that if you voted, which should be about (holy crap) 127 of you, then you make a similar statement.

Thank you.

All right, let's try something. If you honestly think Charlotte's skyline is better than every single city on this list, then make a post saying that that is what you believe. If not, then write a quick response of what city you like the most, and why. And all I want is just one sentence or two writing why your city's skyline is good. Not why everyone else's is bad, and not how many people live in the 20 counties surrounding your city, which is completely irrevelant at the moment. I'll go first.

I believe Philadelphia has the skyline with the most potential to become well known, because it has a couple tall skyscrapers that are very beautiful, and another stunning tallest on its way.

I request that if you voted, which should be about (holy crap) 127 of you, then you make a similar statement.

Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

back to topic. I agree Philly is definately up there. I used to live there for 2 years. Love the history. I think Liberty Plaza is one of the most beutiful bldgs within the skyline. Not to mention it is around two already importantant, and very noticeable city skylines. NYC and Boston. I am not one to choose CLT, just for spite. I am a realistic poster.

B)

By the way, A2 and ns, please take the time to look around the rest of the site. There is much more to offer then arguments here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree CK. I feel as though sometimes I have to defend myself though when people misrepresent what I post. I am done with petty arguments that get nowhere and end up WAY off topic. NS, I am sorry if you are frustrated with my posts. If you think I am an ignorant poster, fine. But I do not want to carry this any further. I am making my peace. If I am not mistaken you are a Minneapolis poster. If so, I am glad, I love the city and believe it has one of the most beautiful skylines in the US. Iam not here to bash, only hear to share. My sister lives in Minneapoils now and I visit from time to time. I am done arguing and wish that you would, for the respect of the topic, also let this one go. It is POINTLESS. OK CLT has 2 million, no they have 1 million does it REALLY matter. I have posted my links and have stated my position. FOr now, I am back onto UP topics and not frustrating dribble. Again, I am sorry for loading the board up with facts that do not pertain to the topic.

B)

LOL!  Visit the Census web site and look it up for yourself.  It's obvious that you need to study up on these topics.  You don't even know the definition of an urban area.  Seriously, not all of Charlotte's 650k people are considered to be living in an urban area

You're posting estimates provided by a local Chamber of Commerce.  I'm posting official number released by the Census Bureau.

I was wondering what the hell an urban region was. That has to be the most useless stat ever. Macon ga can probably claim an "urban region" of several million in it's 100 mile radius...not bad for small city of 200k huh.

The list I posted was for metro areas.  So, for Charlotte's 1.4 - 1.8 million people 700k+ are considered an urban population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A219724 the rest of the metro population is considered "suburban" or "rural" as defined by the census.

POST IT THEN.

DIRECT FROM THE CENSUS SITE.

Mecklenburg County alone

almost 800K, that was in 04'...where do you get your info. I pulled directly from gov't sites to prove your own figures wrong.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFP...xt=fph&pgsl=160

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the link:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ua/ua2k.txt

BTW, I get all my info. from the census site. I don't use local Chamber of Commerce sites and I try to avoid using estimates being they're worthless.

I was wondering what the hell an urban region was.  That has to be the most useless stat ever.  Macon ga can probably claim an "urban region" of several million in it's 100 mile radius...not bad for small city of 200k huh.

A219724 the rest of the metro population  is considered "suburban" or "rural" as defined by the census.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Macon's urbanized population is 135,170 :)

NS, I am sorry if you are frustrated with my posts. If you think I am an ignorant poster, fine. But I do not want to carry this any further. I am making my peace. If I am not mistaken you are a Minneapolis poster. If so, I am glad, I love the city and believe it has one of the most beautiful skylines in the US. Iam not here to bash, only hear to share. My sister lives in Minneapoils now and I visit from time to time. I am done arguing and wish that you would, for the respect of the topic, also let this one go. It is POINTLESS. OK CLT has 2 million, no they have 1 million does it REALLY matter. I have posted my links and have stated my position. FOr now, I am back onto UP topics and not frustrating dribble. Again, I am sorry for loading the board up with facts that do not pertain to the topic.

B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not frustrated. I just wanted to point you to official Census information. Certain companies or organizations obviously have their own criteria for defining urban and/market areas, but it's hard to argue against official Census numbers.

Let us Twin Citians(sp) know when you plan on visiting the area again.

To be fair, the Metropolitan Charlotte Homeland Security Strategy uses a non-standard definition of "urban area," that is, one which differs from the standard, normative, official one as defined by the US Census Bureau. From the website:

The Charlotte Metropolitan area includes the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, and contiguous counties that are working together to create a "premier" threat management system to deter and respond to acts of terrorism. The Region consists of Mecklenburg, Union, Cabbarrus, Stanley, Iredell, Catawba, Lincoln, and Gaston Counties in North Carolina, and York, which includes the Catawba Indian nation, and Lancaster Counties in South Carolina.

The combined populations of these counties is the 1.8 million figure; however, it should be noted that it can be easily shown that this figure does not accurately reflect the urban area as defined by the US Census Bureau. For one, the website lists the above counties as part of the "Charlotte Metropolitan area" but goes on to list the 1.8 million figure as the "urban area population." Statistically speaking, these are two entirely different figures. Secondly, according to the updated US Census Bureau standards, the only counties which are included in Charlotte's metropolitan statistical area (MSA) are Mecklenburg, Cabbarus, Gaston, Union, Anson, and York Counties, as the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce accurately reports.

Furthermore, an urban or urbanized area refers to contiguous development as it spreads away from a city's CBD. Given this, it is easy to see that such cities as Rock Hill, Gastonia, and Monroe are NOT part of Charlotte's urban area, even though very small portions of the respective counties may be. Most of the counties in Charlotte's MSA have lots of rural areas in them.

The moral of the story? Let's simply have some consistency in our definitions and our figures. :thumbsup:

When is the next census anyways???? I am eager to see if Boston went down again and Provvy went up. Also, if any cities have changed rankings

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The US Constitution mandates the government to hold an official census every 10 years. The numbers are used to determine a state's electoral votes and number of House members. Amazing this stuff isn't taught in the schools anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived