St. George City Incorporation News

richyb83

SE BR should get its own school Sub-district after this debacle...with much more autonomy.  State Legislatures were recently pushing for this....They realize they have lost too many EBR families to Livingston/Ascension.

Only one HS is located in the proposed St. George; Woodlawn HS.....for abt 20 years families that stayed in SE BR kids have been flocking to private schools like Parkview Baptist; St. Michael's; Runnels; Dunham, etc...

In 20 years Live Oak HS in Watson has grown from a 2A school up to a large 5A school...Walker HS from 3A? up to 5A.......East Ascension HS & St. Amant were no longer enough...and had to form what is now 5A Dutchtown HS.

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

I didn't say they would fix them, I don't understand how government can fix social issues. Can you?

Considering most of their problems started when they "attempted" to fix social issues by busing children to hell and back, I think some of the issues would disappear overnight if they stopped their meddling and let children attend their neighborhood schools.

That's a bigger issue, though. 

Edited by garrett_225
  • Like 1

There's a difference in teaching to memorize for a test and teaching as well. I never understood the compounding of information only to lose it later.

Exactly, for example, instead of asking "What year was Napoleon born?" you should or could ask, "How did events during Napoleons childhood possibly shape his political views as an adult?". It requires you to know more and formulate an answer. 

Tests are kinda important bro

They are, but not a test I can answer just by doing a few quick Googlenet searches. 

There is a difference between teaching them the answers to the test and teaching them how to find the answers themselves.

Now were talking

Most of their problems started when they started busing??

At the risk of sounding completely loony, I think most problems started when the devil was exiled , like Antrell said, the government cannot (and definitely will not) fix social issues because half of the government is paid for by business entities and social issues make money for everyone (for example, who would watch the news if the had mostly happy stories), and couldn't that be one of those philosophical, for the greater good scenarios? And its really almost too big a problem to fix... its not just schools teaching children...media, peers, neighbors, family, strangers, parents, then you have to factor in environmental factors(diet, domestic life,etc) and genetics (whatever small of large part they play)...if they don't have the right tools they really don't stand a chance, no matter how good the schools.

But I guess if you can't beat em', play the game along with em' "the system" that is.

EDIT: I guess we shouldn't complain, if we didn't have social issues, half the purpose of this forum would be gone.

Edited by dan326

Exactly, for example, instead of asking "What year was Napoleon born?" you should or could ask, "How did events during Napoleons childhood possibly shape his political views as an adult?". It requires you to know more and formulate an answer. 

That's not exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking of more elective type classes, I remember being excited about Writing Seminar (Creative Writing) but never about Algebra or Chemistry. I actually wanted to learn about some subjects and I think it would be better to let the kids decide what they should take versus some Common Core standards telling people what they should know.

That's not exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking of more elective type classes, I remember being excited about Writing Seminar (Creative Writing) but never about Algebra or Chemistry. I actually wanted to learn about some subjects and I think it would be better to let the kids decide what they should take versus some Common Core standards telling people what they should know.

Well the whole point of education is to make kids well rounded in many different areas. There should certainly be more electives in the class-room, but we still need to have Algebra, Chemistry, and the likes. The core (pun intended) reason students dread those subject is largely based on how we teach them. It's all rooted in former methods and does not have the ability to adapt to today's times, in addition it is based on memorization something that based on just the fact that 40% of college grads have no idea what the Holocaust was, does not work. 

We need to adapt and change our approach to how we educate, one book I recommend on this is a short E-book known as Why School? by Will Richardson. 

Now the main thing that makes Common Core the worst educational program to ever be created is that it dumbs down the curriculum for purely political reasons. In order to make it appear that American kids are smarter on the global testing stage, our children are receiving a lower education now, this way they can decrease the 'gap' without doing anything major. In addition to all of this, the plan was not created by a single educator or professional, instead it was made in the political realm. This means that the curriculum also focuses on indoctrinating the kids into thinking that government is family and will supply your needs (I have seen the worksheets and read the plans). 

So with that explained, God knows how terrible English, History, and Science are all going to be...Our children will be screwed, they will not have the ability to succeed in the world and only those who self-educate will get anywhere. So all this BS in commercials saying that the standards are better are full of sh!t, if anything the system will become worse than it already was. 

Well the whole point of education is to make kids well rounded in many different areas. There should certainly be more electives in the class-room, but we still need to have Algebra, Chemistry, and the likes. The core (pun intended) reason students dread those subject is largely based on how we teach them. It's all rooted in former methods and does not have the ability to adapt to today's times, in addition it is based on memorization something that based on just the fact that 40% of college grads have no idea what the Holocaust was, does not work. 

We need to adapt and change our approach to how we educate, one book I recommend on this is a short E-book known as Why School? by Will Richardson. 

Now the main thing that makes Common Core the worst educational program to ever be created is that it dumbs down the curriculum for purely political reasons. In order to make it appear that American kids are smarter on the global testing stage, our children are receiving a lower education now, this way they can decrease the 'gap' without doing anything major. In addition to all of this, the plan was not created by a single educator or professional, instead it was made in the political realm. This means that the curriculum also focuses on indoctrinating the kids into thinking that government is family and will supply your needs (I have seen the worksheets and read the plans). 

So with that explained, God knows how terrible English, History, and Science are all going to be...Our children will be screwed, they will not have the ability to succeed in the world and only those who self-educate will get anywhere. So all this BS in commercials saying that the standards are better are full of sh!t, if anything the system will become worse than it already was. 

"Well rounded" is a term I hate to use, it's rooted in greed from the Federal Government and the college systems to fool you into taking unnecessary classes.

But your first paragraph is what I'm talking about, it's nearly impossible to convince a kid he needs to know how to graph polynomial functions when he will probably just go to technical college or Urban Planning school ( :thumbsup: ).

I do question the need for certain subjects and the omission of others. Why did I leave high school without basic financial knowledge of credit, debt, etc? But thankfully I know how to do punnet squares?! :dunno:

If we keep going on about the schools, I might make another thread and move our posts over there.

Had a nephew just graduate from high school. I bought him a copy of Dave Ramsey's book. He's now working 2 summer jobs because he doesn't want to end up in debt. He says he was never taught about money or savings or debt. Kinda scary that nobody is teaching simple things like this to kids.

Had a nephew just graduate from high school. I bought him a copy of Dave Ramsey's book. He's now working 2 summer jobs because he doesn't want to end up in debt. He says he was never taught about money or savings or debt. Kinda scary that nobody is teaching simple things like this to kids.

But thankfully we're "well rounded." It really is scary.

That's why I used the word "too." I didn't get all my financial education from home. I had a desire to learn more on my own, so I read a lot. I'm glad to hear you got your nephew the financial book itsjustme3. I hope he appreciated it.

Same, nice uncle skills  :shades:

Financial Classes should be mandatory, especially with all the debt most people have now days.