Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

7 minutes ago, CLT-704 said:

The third level is actually parking that is accessed through the 620 podium parking deck. 

IIRC when Deloitte was being built there were pics of that parking level and it was said that it was for C-level folks and execs so they didn't have to walk too far to get to the office or cars.  

• Haha 1

To follow-up on a point from the previous page...I don't understand the appeal or need to cap 277. It would be incredibly expensive....And in the short stretch between Mint and South blvd, there are 6 crossings if you count the light rail. The rail trail bridge will make 7. 

If the goal is to create more green space - there are better places to focus in my opinion. South End and the southern part of Uptown are all doing fine on their own. Why not invest public money elsewhere?

PLUS... If you capped 277, we'd have a park that fronts the Honeywell Parking Deck, LU Parking Deck, Ally Parking Deck, and back of Novel Stonewall... the only intriguing bit would be Ally and the plans for Uptown Cabaret.

Removing 277 should be the objective. Not capping it. 

• Like 2

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2021_11/36A1C118-70A9-464E-A86E-3CDB2F26244E.thumb.jpeg.95e653ef4fc8610e345d7bfaa868f37a.jpegI think it could happen one day,  Düsseldorf is a good example. I also agree cap is more likely, or 1/2 of 277 removed

While that is super cool, it is not NC, and removing 277 would not result in a gorgeous waterside park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Removing all of 277 is extremely unlikely. Seattle removed their viaduct and it created some great developable land as well as reconnected the city with the waterfront, but oh boy was the tunnel construction an absolute disaster. We DO NOT want to go through that kind of years-long, extremely expensive process. Charlotte wouldn't need to build a new tunnel or anything to replace 277, but removing a piece of infrastructure like 277 is something that cities on the scale of Seattle/Boston/New York can take on. Charlotte isn't that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, buildleft said:

Removing 277 can absolutely happen and I'm really confused by the cynicism around this. Do yall really believe it'll never happen or do you simply not want it to? I'm genuinely curious. I would say that removing just the John Belk Freeway and not the Brookshire is more likely, but even that would be fantastic. And while this should happen ASAP, it likely won't until the profit motive becomes abundantly clear. Also, unlike Seattle we don't need a $3,300,000,000 tunnel to replace it, just close it down and sell (most of) the land :) Just my personal take...

I don't know who would be the decision maker on I277 and if an elected official or not. But I can't see an elected official voting to remove something that many would have the perception (rightly or wrongly) helps traffic flow, and sell the land to developers who would profit greatly off it. That elected official would never be voted in again. For that reason, I277 will remain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buildleft said:

Removing 277 can absolutely happen and I'm really confused by the cynicism around this. Do yall really believe it'll never happen or do you simply not want it to? I'm genuinely curious. I would say that removing just the John Belk Freeway and not the Brookshire is more likely, but even that would be fantastic. And while this should happen ASAP, it likely won't until the profit motive becomes abundantly clear. Also, unlike Seattle we don't need a $3,300,000,000 tunnel to replace it, just close it down and sell (most of) the land :) Just my personal take...

How do you solve the connectivity, and drainage issues of having a literal ravine of development between two districts, would you bring it up to grade? 

6 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

How do you solve the connectivity, and drainage issues of having a literal ravine of development between two districts, would you bring it up to grade? 

I guess I could maybe see it being turned into a boulevard where it doesn't really go away but all the below-grade parts are capped and made into tunnels and the caps turn into developed land or parks, but that's a costly undertaking.

18 minutes ago, jthomas said:

In this scenario, I think a through route should be preserved below grade for transit. You essentially get a tunnel without needing to dig. With all of the development nearby, it makes sense to have some sort of transit spine.

I was literally thinking about how cool it would be to have an automated people mover tram that started at Teppers new dome/entertainment district (pipe land) and ended around the metropolitan area. Below grade

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...