Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

38 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

More like Regions.

Going to be a monster when approaching from Wilkinson up to 277

Higher Resolution

IMG_6904.jpg

I think the choice of brick actually makes the parking deck look better, and somehow the additional 800 spaces aren't the problem I thought they would be.  Maybe the real thing won't look so much like windows on those lower floors, but the drawing makes the parking deck appear smaller, and not so out of place.    Wondering if Honeywell ever needed to expand in the future, could they build on top of the monster parking deck?

• Like 2

Does anyone know how far along this may have risen by November?  My next trips to Charlotte with my kids will be to see the Arsenal game at the stadium in July, and then I'll take them to the auto show in November.  Hopefully, it's come along by several stories at that point.

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, Blakcatfan said:

I think the choice of brick actually makes the parking deck look better, and somehow the additional 800 spaces aren't the problem I thought they would be.  Maybe the real thing won't look so much like windows on those lower floors, but the drawing makes the parking deck appear smaller, and not so out of place.    Wondering if Honeywell ever needed to expand in the future, could they build on top of the monster parking deck?

The deck isn't made for that. Would have had to include an elevator core that could be expanded. 

I do agree it makes the parking deck look way less ridiculous, and that the roof adds visual interest to the building. I just don't like it. To blocky. I don't like how the top of the building tapers up on a diagonal. Looks awkward. Its just proportionally challenged just like LU1. I Love LU2. It takes into account the curve of Hill Street. This ignores it. There was an opportunity to create a really cool modernist building here. Instead they went awkward post modern. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does anyone know how far along this may have risen by November?  My next trips to Charlotte with my kids will be to see the Arsenal game at the stadium in July, and then I'll take them to the auto show in November.  Hopefully, it's come along by several stories at that point.

The parking deck extension will be poured in place concrete, so I'd say 2-3 weeks per floor, until it gets to the tower itself. So MAYBE 2 floors of parking by November.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The parking deck extension will be poured in place concrete, so I'd say 2-3 weeks per floor, until it gets to the tower itself. So MAYBE 2 floors of parking by November.

That being said, it will presumably be topped out by the RNC.  I assume that LU2 will be as well.

Charlotte shined at the DNC, but it will be the star of the show at the RNC next summer!  Right now, the Republicans must all be thinking:

In my mind I'm gone to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine?
Can't you just feel the moonshine?
Ain't it just like a friend of mine
To hit me from behind?
Yes, I'm gone to Carolina in my mind

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That being said, it will presumably be topped out by the RNC.  I assume that LU2 will be as well.

I'm doubtful that it'll be topped out by RNC. LU2 should be though.

I think people are giving this building too much credit for hiding the parking deck.  Sure, it will block the view from Mint St, which is good - but that was the plan for any building  on this site all along.  The rendering conveniently is from an angle that minimizes the side of the garage facing 277.  My other issue is what I'm assuming is an elevator shaft highlighted below - could this not have been incorporated into the Honeywell building?

garagefacade.jpg

lu3garage.jpg

• Like 3

The more I look at this picture, the more I think this building screams for the building floors to be cantilevered out from the parking floors.  If the front of the building was curved (or even just V angled slightly), the parking levels pushed back about 10 feet, and office floors pushed out about 5 feet, it would create really cool look.  I wish I could draw what's in my mind, but I think it would be so much cooler.

10 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

I think people are giving this building too much credit for hiding the parking deck.  Sure, it will block the view from Mint St, which is good - but that was the plan for any building  on this site all along.  The rendering conveniently is from an angle that minimizes the side of the garage facing 277.  My other issue is what I'm assuming is an elevator shaft highlighted below - could this not have been incorporated into the Honeywell building?

garagefacade.jpg

lu3garage.jpg

Is that whole area to the left of where you circled a parking deck that looks like office space or is it, in fact, office space?  I thought that people were saying that this tower  would rise upon the deck, but since the lower floors look like actual office space, I thought that that idea may have been abandoned.

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is that whole are to the left of where you circled a parking deck that looks like office space or is it, in fact, office space?  I thought that people were saying that this tower  would rise upon the deck, but since the lower floors look like actual office space, I thought that that idea may have been abandoned.

I believe it is all parking deck.  From the couple articles just released Honeywell will occupy all of the office space in the building and that space is 280k sq.ft., which indicates that the lower half of this building is parking.  I'll save my judgement on the parking portion until more detailed renderings come out.  While you can dress up a deck, you still need open air ventilation on every level for car exhaust.

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is that whole area to the left of where you circled a parking deck that looks like office space or is it, in fact, office space?  I thought that people were saying that this tower  would rise upon the deck, but since the lower floors look like actual office space, I thought that that idea may have been abandoned.

Its not. I literally copy pasted the planning description like 3 weeks ago. 

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Article states rooftop terrace...hopefully that means a restaurant and not just for the employees.  This will have some great views of the city and stadium.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So the ground floors are, in fact, office space and not parking?  It doesn’t look like a parking deck at all.

The ground floors are in fact actually PARKING. I explained this to you just the other day.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I thought that’s what you said, but this does not look at all like a deck.  The developers of the Ascent should have hired these architects.

I assure you the deck will NOT look like this rendering.  Hence my reservations about seeing the actual architectural site plans.  The photo released is just a rendering...it's intended to up-sell the product.  Ascent did the same thing...the renderings were much more appealing for the garage portion - it was even touted on this forum for it's innovation with the planters/green additions.  Sadly, we did not get this - 

ascentrender.jpg

ascentrender2.jpg

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I thought that’s what you said, but this does not look at all like a deck.  The developers of the Ascent should have hired these architects.

Deck screening is something that is really expected, and can be costed into Commercial buildings. Its not expected on apartment buildings, hence Atherton, Ascent, etc. 

Edited by Guest