Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Well, that definitely confirms THE BELVIDERE mystery. Thanks for posting what will eventually be a fully constructed website, JSI.

When I was a kid and would take a streetcar from Robinson and Grove in The Fan to Downtown, the trolley would pass thru Richmond's "Chinatown" which was a collection of three adjoining buildings just about at the site of THE BELVIDERE. The facades were adorned with Chinese script and the buildings were occupied by Asians. But I don't recall any businesses on the ground floors. And I suspect I was the only Richmonder who fancied the tiny area as a "foreign" quarter of Far East intrigue. :ph34r:

Well, that definitely confirms THE BELVIDERE mystery. Thanks for posting what will eventually be a fully constructed website, JSI.

When I was a kid and would take a streetcar from Robinson and Grove in The Fan to Downtown, the trolley would pass thru Richmond's "Chinatown" which was a collection of three adjoining buildings just about at the site of THE BELVIDERE. The facades were adorned with Chinese script and the buildings were occupied by Asians. But I don't recall any businesses on the ground floors. And I suspect I was the only Richmonder who fancied the tiny area as a "foreign" quarter of Far East intrigue. :ph34r:

I remember those buildings. They were still around when I moved to Jackson Ward in college in 1989. I was mugged in the doorway of one of them. There was a cluster on the same block of Grace Street too. I really miss the King Tut (as me and my friends called it) building on the 400 block of Broad Street. It was a really handsome building and it burned down the day that I moved to the neighborhood. It was the tallest on the block and was white and black brick. There was a "potions" shop beside it, sold stuff like chicken and rabbits feet. It was cool and scary and way more gothic than anything in Richmond now (there is a place on Lakeside Ave that sells stuff for potions and spells but it doesn't have the same effect with its strip mall location...).

I live in Jackson Ward now and Have bneen waiting for this new place to open. It looks kind of (ok, really) cheap. Style is a bit too generous with its description.

Edited by Brent

Here's Karri Peifer's interesting take on the local restaurant scene in 2008.

From Richmond dot Com on January 2nd:

http://www.richmond.com/restaurants-dining/25921

Judging by some of the comments following Karri's coverage, there are some who think Richmond will never grow up. While it may not rival the big cities in diversity and selection it does offer outstanding dining in quality surroundings. There are plenty of larger and medium-sized Metropolitan areas across America that cannot match Richmond's dining-out scene.

I found out that Six Burner could go in the building next to Berry Burk. Sounds like they are waiting for the economy to pick back up, but are excited about the area.

That would be an interesting move. Their current location doesn't get much synergy from other businesses. Glad people are paying attention to the area around the Carpenter Center.

There is confirmed news of two restaurant closures that saddens me.

KARSEN'S at 3411 West Cary Street and RELISH at 101 South 15th Street.

Almost a year ago my wife and I had a meal had Karsen's. I dropped almost $170 with no OH. The service was poor to average and the food was good but nothing special. The most memorable thing about the place was the overly inflated bill.

If you're in the Slip and want to watch inaugeration activities on the big screens, drop into TOAD'S PLACE between 11am and 2pm for lunch on Tuesday, January 29th.

Pay no mind to the slip of the pen where the ad reads "watch the election..." We've already seen that. It's the Inaugeration that takes place on 1/20/09.

http://www.toadsplacerva.com/home/calendar/3343

Edited by burt

This online RTD report on AURORA doesn't have a by-line, other than "staff reports." But it reads like Dana Craig.

Why do I have the feeling that this endeavor opened before its time? Perhaps it's a calculated move in a district that is on the verge of rediscovery.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-175727/171581/

AURORA

401 East Grace Street

Tel. 804/644-5380

Rating: Two and a half stars

Noise level: Average to High

Smoke-free

Tab for two: $70

Edited by burt

Past Luna on Broad St has closed after a 15 year run. The food and service left years ago. Back in the 90s they were the place to go for good Italian food.

AZZURRO at 6221 River Road was quite good last I was there three years ago. It was the only expansion of a restaurant of the same name in New York City, but I believe it was subsequently sold by its New York City founders. It is in the shopping center where Huguenot and River Roads branch off near U of R campus.

I guess DAVE AND BUSTERS qualifies as a restaurant, though bar classification seems more apt to me.

Anyway, Karri Peifer of Richmond dot com has researched the situation and learned that the entertainment emporium plans a March opening at West Broad Village. They are currently seeking employees.

KONA GRILL as well as MC CORMICK & SCHMICK's should be up and running at WBV soon.

Edited by burt

Here's a rave review of MAMMA 'ZU by Brandon Fox in the current Style Weekly. This Oregon Hill restaurant creation by Ed Vasaio has been packing them in for ages.

Vasaio also operates the popular EDO'S SQUID on North Harrison Street near VCU.

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...9D3430288834D1D

Edited by burt

Ginger Warder of Richmond dot com had a delightful meal recently at one of the area's South American restaurants. It was formerly a Brazilian grocery store but has morphed into a neat cafe. What's more, it's expanding next door.

If you're fluent in Portugese, enjoy their website:

http://www.viabrasilcafe.com

VIA BRASIL

9033 Quioccasin Rd.

Tel. 804/967-2266

Edited by burt

Here's news from Melissa Ruggieri. She writes in yesterday's Times Dispatch that THE BELVIDERE AT BROAD is aiming for an opening in April or May. Located at 506 West Broad Street, the eclectic restaurant with a heavy vegetarian bent will add another food dimension to The Gallery District. Owner David Hassan is looking forward to offering another option for First Fridays and says of his THE BELVIDERE AT BROAD "...we're not going with the typical bar food menu. Ours will lean more toward seafood and healthy foods."

Sincere good wishes for great success, Mr. Hassan. :thumbsup::alc:

Dana Craig of The Times Dispatched revisited ZED CAFE on Lakeside Avenue in Richmond's Northside and found it more to her liking than on previous trips.

Here's her 3-star review with slideshow:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-183958/178317/

ZED CAFE

5109 Lakeside Avenue

Tel. 804/261-5656

http://www.zedcafeonline.com

Dana's Rating: 3 Stars

Noise Level: Low

Smoke-free

Tab for two: $72 (excluding tips and nips.)

Edited by burt

There is an unsettling rumor going around that one of Richmond's best is teetering on the edge of closure.

SENSI, the opulent Northern Italian restaurant at 2222 East Cary Street in Tobacco Row has been offering exceptional cuisine for about three years.

It's loss would be a major blow to the Richmond dining scene.

Edited by burt

Richmond's Indian restaurants can't equal those in London or along East 6th Street in Manhattan's East Village, but RUCHEE UNIQUE INDIAN CUISINE is attracting considerable praise from the local press.

Tess Autrey Bosher adds her approval in the current Style Weekly.

Look for an expansion soon in The Fan near VCU.

RUCHEE UNIQUE INDIAN CUISINE

9930 Midlothian Tpk in Midlothian Green Shopping Center

tel. 804/323-5999

Smoke-free, but it appears in the "view gallery" of the above website that nipping is permitted :)

Edited by burt