Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

According to AOL's home page, MORTON'S STEAKHOUSE is among a group of restaurant chains that is offfering "Recession" discounts. They offer Dinner for Two at $99 (drinks, taxes and tips not included.)

AOL says..."the meal includes two steaks, two choices of seafood, two salads, potato and vegetable as well as two delicious desserts at a savings of close to $50..."

MORTON'S is located in Shockoe Slip at the corner of Canal and Virginia Streets in Richmond. I would suggest calling ahead to verify the $99 offer. 804/648-1662.

Edited by burt

Melissa Ruggeri discusses the new RIVERS RIDGE (former Grafiti Grill) on Ridge Road in her Table Talk column today, offers a couple of Thanksgkiving dinner restaurant options and reveals that POPEYE's is opening a couple of new fast-food stores in the area.

I have to admit that POPEYE's spicy fried chicken is my favorite among the chains. I like their mashed potatoes with gravy, too. :shades:

From today's new R-TD on line set-up:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-175942/118095/

Edited by burt

Here is Dana Craig's full review of DAVIS & MAIN from today's online R-TD.

This is one of the earliest Fan restaurants that pretty much started the influx of eateries along West Main Street. It used to be particularly popular with show people when Theatre Virginia in the Va. Museum was operational.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-175531/118074/

DAVIS & MAIN

2501 West Main Street

Tel. 804/353-6641

Dana's rating is confusing in its present configuration. Is it 1 star, 1 & 1/2 star or maybe 2 and 1/2 stars?

Noise level: Average

Smoke free.

Tab for two: $82, not inclusive of drinks and tip

Edited by burt

Here is Dana Craig's full review of DAVIS & MAIN from today's online R-TD.

This is one of the earliest Fan restaurants that pretty much started the influx of eateries along West Main Street. It used to be particularly popular with show people when Theatre Virginia in the Va. Museum was operational.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-175531/118074/

DAVIS & MAIN

2501 West Main Street

Tel. 804/353-6641

Dana's rating is confusing in its present configuration. Is it 1 star, 1 & 1/2 star or maybe 2 and 1/2 stars?

Noise level: Average

Smoke free.

Tab for two: $82, not inclusive of drinks and tip

Two and a half stars. IMO it should be at least a three star.

Two and a half stars. IMO it should be at least a three star.

Here's more trivia about DAVIS & MAIN:

It was the brainchild of two pals who had pounded the pavements of Broadway seeking acting jobs in NYCity. Both are still quite well known in Richmond, though they no longer partner in the food business. Barry Pruitt is now host and owner of THE WHITE DOG, one of my favorite small bistros in The Fan. He has dabbled in Richmond politics while pursuing a restaurant career that has taken him from DAVIS & MAIN to AVENUE 808 to WHITE DOG.

Mark Brandon, the other original partner at DAVIS & MAIN is now in Real Estate locally and has run (so far, unsuccessfully) to represent the 3rd District in City Council.

Well I went to Blackfinn for my first time this past sunday with my cousin who works downtown and I must say I really enjoyed it and loves the atmosphere. It was a very nice place to have lunch. I also saw where McAlisters had left ROTJ. I really hope when things get better that ROTJ can finally have the retail space fully leased.

I learned a couple of days ago that Copeland's at Stoney Point served its last meal this past Sunday (Nov. 30th). This is the second eatery in a matter of a couple of weeks that has closed at Stoney Point.

Edited by Shakman

Sorry, it was Copeland's that closed this past Sunday. Uncle Julio's is the other one.

RTD Article:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-212730/126167/

Thanks, after my post I was trying to find the info on the web. I never had a meal at Copeland's in Stoney Point but have tried their other branded restaurants - very average. Either way it is bad news that both of these places have gone under. Champs was packed on weekends. We tried to eat there one Saturday night and there was a 45 minute wait. But I'm not so sure about during the day and on weeknights. Stoney Point is kind of tucked away and there are not that many people living right next door to make it the local watering hole. The mall gets little to no foot traffic. I always thought a very upscale movie theater (Deluxe) or an independent theater (Westhampton) would help.

Edited by NYCJSW

Thanks, after my post I was trying to find the info on the web. I never had a meal at Copeland's in Stoney Point but have tried their other branded restaurants - very average. Either way it is bad news that both of these places have gone under. Champs was packed on weekends. We tried to eat there one Saturday night and there was a 45 minute wait. But I'm not so sure about during the day and on weeknights. Stoney Point is kind of tucked away and there are not that many people living right next door to make it the local watering hole. The mall gets little to no foot traffic. I always thought a very upscale movie theater (Deluxe) or an independent theater (Westhampton) would help.

I have noticed a lack of marketing for Stoney Point as a whole. That maybe the issue and /or current economic conditions as well. None-the-less, these recent closings may tarnish any marketing efforts made by Stoney Point.

Edited by Shakman

COPELAND'S CHEESECAKE BISTRO which closed Sunday at Stony Point Fashion Park was a Louisiana-based operation and should not be confused with THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY at Short Pump Town Center.

UNCLE JULIO'S RIO GRANDE CAFE shut down in early '07 and has been a vacant presence at Stony Point ever since. Other restaurants in the upscale Life Style Center off of Chippenham Pkwy are doing very well.

From yesterday's R-TD dot com:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-212730/126167/

Edited by burt

I saw that article on richmondbizsense.com

I also read on there that Leclair Ryan opened a second connecticut office.

What article are you referring to, Joey?

I had dinner at BASS PRO SHOP a week ago. Our party had to wait an hour and a half to be seated. I was not terribly impressed by the food, but the store is overwhelming!!!

Keep us posted on your surgery, Joey.

CHAMPS at Stony Point is not closed! They are opened for business and doing well. I just spoke with the manager.

I know that. That is why I apologized... before your recent post... about posting the wrong information. (So now you can stop holding your breath.) ;)

Edited by Shakman

I know that. That is why I apologized... before your recent post... about posting the wrong information. (So now you can stop holding your breath.) ;)

Your post was not totally clear. It read to me like you were stating sorry for not including the 2nd restaurant name in your original post. Since Rio Grande closed in 2006-07 I was not sure what you were writing about. I'm not holding my breath - just trying to clear things up.

GIBSON'S GRILL which has been in previews since the Lambs of God concert last week officially opened today at 11:30am. The two-story restaurant in The National at 7th and Broad Streets will operate 7-days a week until 2am.

Food options include appetizers, salads, sandwiches and entrees ranging from burgers to steaks. A look at the menu reveals choices such as the 1/2 lb Angus Young Burger; Chinese Laquered Baby Back Ribs and Raspberry Habanero Wings. There are main courses like Lobster Mac 'n Cheese, The Chicken Puff Daddy Pastry, Steak and Oyster Frites, Crabcakes and more.

Johnny and Katrina Giavos are on hand to greet and host.

There are two bars, one on the street level and the neat "Seven Below" accessed by a grand staircase and/or elevator. The lift also carries concert-goers and VIP's to the loge/balcony level.

Soon, patrons will be able to purchase tickets for National concerts while dining and be allowed advance entry to the theatre.

Edited by burt

I didn't eat out much on this last trip because of holiday invites.

Tuesday was Bass Pro Shop's ISLAMORADA FISH CLUB. It was fun, our wait/person was delightful, but unless you like it really spicy, avoid the fried shrimp and frites. The big success at our table of 10 was the St. Louis barbeque ribs, and another liked her fish of the day. Prepare to wait and keep the vibrator close to a body part whilst shopping in the immense sports emporium so as not to miss your call to the mess hall. It has an OK wine list, and anything they can concoct is available from the full bar.

The restaurant does not take advance reservations. You have to be present to sign up. We waited about an hour and a half on Tuesday, but there's plenty to see and do in the gigantic store which they claim is the 2nd busiest in the 50-plus store chain.

I didn't pay, so can't tell you the price.

I'll post Dana Craig's R-TD review tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were in house affairs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday was a pleasant surprise at (mmmm. now I have to go back thru this thread to find the name, but I believe it is either SOUND HILL or ROUND HILL on North Boulevard at West Leigh Street across from the soon-to-open Movietime cinemas (I'll check it out and give the correct name.***) Anyway, it's a charming yet funky kind of place with neat decor, cheerful service and excellent food. I had scallops which were beautifully presented and quite tasty. My old lady friend had her usual extra dry gin Martini followed by a delicious salad we shared and a well prepared Talapia dish. A bit pricey -- $89 for two -- but worth it.

Monday, I met a group at ZORBA's way out on West Broad near the Tower cinemas for dinner. They all liked it but I found it pretty ordinary for a Greek-themed restaurant. We had fun; the salad was tasty, but I wouldn't recommend the roast of lamb stuiffed with spinach. Again, I was a guest and didn't pay, but don't believe it was expensive.

***NOTE: As Coupe points out below, the new restaurant whose name I could not remember, is STRONG HILL DINING CO.

Edited by burt