Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Thanks for the review. Have you been in the Southern Railway Deli yet? I noticed it was open too on my way to the Irish Festival. Looks really great from the outside, and I noticed people inside and out dining and perusing . Hopefully it is successful.

Nope, I haven't had a chance to eat there. I happened to notice it was open when I ran by this morning.

Lastly, seems like construction at Blackfinn is moving along very quickly. No sign of any construction at Blanc Blue which leads me to believe they will miss the June 1 opening date stated at the recent Venture Richmond downtown development meeting.

I got a chance to tour Southern Railway Deli this past Saturday. That place is insanely big. Within the confines is a coffee bar, ice cream, pastry shop, deli selections and GROCERIES!!! Nothing like the size of Kroger but more than 7-11.

The owners are an amazing bunch.

I got a chance to tour Southern Railway Deli this past Saturday. That place is insanely big. Within the confines is a coffee bar, ice cream, pastry shop, deli selections and GROCERIES!!! Nothing like the size of Kroger but more than 7-11.

The owners are an amazing bunch.

Is there also a bar, Shak? And do you know its hours of operation?

I, too, hope it is a huge success. I'll bet residents of the area are glad to have a convenience-store with limited grocery selections as well as other options.

Executive Chef, Robert Ramsey of FOX HEAD INN in Manakin-Sabot, says that his restaurant will move by next spring or summer. "I need a bigger place", he says. Reservations for dinner and special occasions have far exceeded capacity.

Despite it's pricey menu (prix fixe at $58 per head on week nights and $68 Saturdays), demand is high with reservations required well in advance.

Greg Gilligan in his Times Dispatch column today reports that Ramsey is "looking throughout Central Virginia, including Richmond and as far away as Charlottesville".

The charming inn is situated in beautiful horse country in Goochland County. Here's hoping Ramsey doesn't deprive the Capital City region of his culinary expertise by locating too far west!

Here's the web site if you wnt to take a look: http://www.foxheadinn.com

Edited by burt

There are more than 500 non-chain restaurants in the Richmond area... Style has narrowed this big list to a Top 50

The 50 Best Restaurants in Richmond

...even if you disagree with these choices, you have solid evidence that Richmond is becoming quite a food town, with a spectrum of ethnic fare to complement the regional classics.

Check out more great pieces on the restaurant scene in this week's Style.

When I look elsewhere on urbanplanet forums I do not see anything like this thread in other cities - i.e., Charlotte, Raleigh or Hampton Roads.

We're still the third most visited site on the Richmond forum -- pushing 50,000 viewers. Makes one wonder why other cities don't have a similar thread.

Anyway, I leave home today for a 5-day holiday in Richmond and will not be posting again until April 3rd.

Thanks, Coupe, for posting this week's Style report on Richmond restaurants. Joe Cates can be a tough critic, but this statement from him warmed my heart: "When friends have hit Carytown shops and shared a meal at CAN CAN, and then say things like Richmond is a really cool little city, it makes me proud to eat here."

See you all next week.

PS: I hope the canal boats are operating this weekend. I always enjoy the cruise.

Edited by burt

Yep, JSI. Old Southern Culture is now part of Michelle Williams' restaurant empire (HARD SHELL, CHA CHA CANTINA, EUROPA, LUCKY BUDHA, THE HILL CAFE and MICHELLE'S at Hanover Tavern).)

If you learn its new name, opening date and type of menu, let us know,please.

Hi all, We were at Sticky Rice again and there was lots of activity on the old southern comfort Restaurant. I don't know the old lay out but the lower floor now has a staircase down the far wall that turns out to the lower floor. Winding I think the name for that would be. The second floor is open to the first for the first 15 20 feet. the layout looked as if it would be rather nice.

The constuction folks had no info as to the how or who or what. Its in the build stage. nothing there but the bones :stop:

Saw Can Can's "Restaurant of the Year" article in Style Weekly today. While I've had one good experience at Can Can, I've also had extremely bad experiences there, including an extremely rude hostess and outright bad service. Ridiculous service, in fact, considering how much a tab at Can Can comes to. There are so many better restaurants in Richmond!

Saw Can Can's "Restaurant of the Year" article in Style Weekly today. While I've had one good experience at Can Can, I've also had extremely bad experiences there, including an extremely rude hostess and outright bad service. Ridiculous service, in fact, considering how much a tab at Can Can comes to. There are so many better restaurants in Richmond!

I have to agree with you there, Northsider. I'm not one to badmouth any local restaurant, but I don't want to see Can Can lose it's momentum because of poor operations. I've been almost entirely ignored by the waitstaff a few times. I always end up giving it another go because I love the general atmosphere (not the overwhelming noise, though) and I love what the restaurant has done for the area.

I have had a mix of experiences there, but I have never been terribly impressed with the food or the service. A morning coffee in the front cafe area has never been terrible, maybe a little slow at times but if I'm there for a relaxing morning then slow is not as much of an issue.

Isn't Style Weekly detailing how the restaurant has done a total 180 in terms of service, though? Maybe I'll check it out when I'm in town this weekend. Or next.

I was just there a couple weeks ago and had the worst service I've ever had there. The hostess wouldn't seat us at a table for which we had a reservation -- even though there was a table for four in plain sight and no one else was waiting for it. The server was inattentive (as they always seem to be). The food was good, but not good enough to overlook the overall experience. So unless this 180 has taken place in the last week or so, I'm not agreeing with SW on that one.

Just got home about an hour ago. There were delays at JFK which caused the 6:15PM Jet Blue flight from there to be an hour late arriving Richmond. Then it had to be turned for the scheduled 6:45 flight RIC/JFK that finally left the gate at about 8PM . Then we sat on the Richmond tarmac until 9PM because Kennedy was backed up.

Anyway, home, thafe and thound.

I dined in three Richmond restaurants: THE TRACK, OLD CITY BAR and DD33. Will report on them later, but THE TRACK outshone all.

Richmond never looked better! :)

OH! For numbers freaks like me, I counted 97 passengers deplaning the incoming flight from JFK tonight, and 75 of us boarded the same plane for New York. Pretty good passenger loads for a Monday, I'd say...especially when capacity is only 100.

let the games begin now that march madness is almost over! mr and mrs bugsy went to mamma zu monday night for the 1st time since we lived in richmond (over a year). we frankly had avoided it with the comments about nasty service and the fact that they don't take reservations. but, we love 81/2 which serves mz stuff and decided to go. we were promptly seated at our arrival at 7.30 and service was among the best we've experienced in richmond...informed on the menu items and efficient and very pleasant without interruption. food ?? sweet breads among the top ive had as far as the meat and breading goes, perhaps i'd order the sauce on the side next time....mrs bugsy had veal marsalla that was good if not overshadowed by the sweet breads. the squid and bean and arugala salad was awesome... a bottle of felsina chianti classico 2004 at $24 made this whole experience among the top in richmond ....sure, go in t-craps and jeans and lock your car, but this was fun and good !

Last Thursday, eight of us piled into THE TRACK in Carytown. It would have been impossible without reservations. The tiny spot was jam packed. And wow! what a delicious meal! Not a scrap was left on any plate. I had Rockfish served over mushrooms and gnocci. Mmmmmmm good!

I shudder to think what the bill amounted to, but was awfully glad I didn't have to pick up the tab. :)

Friday night, my date and I dined at the practically empty OLD CITY BAR located in the former Railroad YMCA at 17th and Franklin Streets. It is a charming, romantic and quiet restaurant with delicious dinner options. I had a steak that was of less quality than expected, but tasty. The sides and salad were super as was desert. And my date loved her gin martini(s). The tab was less than a hundred, including drinks, taxes and tip

Saturday, another family group of eight had reservations at the beautiful DD33 which is hidden away in a small shopping center on Cox Road between Broad and Three Chopt. I had sable fish out of Alaskan waters and it was delicate and flavorous. As a topper, we ordered two dessert samplers. One of the group asked how everyone would rate DD33 on a scale from 1 to 10. Seven was the consensus, though I was in the minority with eight. Again, I was treated, but I would guess the total bill exceeded $300 (there were several of us non-drinkers).

2 Richmond favorites are expanding into other cities, treating others to the meals we enjoy...

Sticky Rice is planning a location in D.C. in Adams Morgan and Comfort will be opening a restaurant in Portsmouth.

From this week's Style.

Also, look for Highwater to open in May or June on the Canal Walk.

In keeping with standard procedure on this thread, I am reprinting Dana Craig's 4-star review of POMME about 55 miles northwest of the Capital.

Richmond is in a choice geographical position for side trips to scenic attractions as well as outstanding dining options.

Here's what Dana has to say about dining in Gordonsville:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...mesdispatch.com

Whilst roaming around the Slip I stopped twice -- on different days --in the brand new SOUTHERN RAILWAY DELI in the old freight depot on 14th Street. It is Greek owned and shortly will offer gyros in addition to Greek wines. I got a Danish and coffee and enjoyed checking out the food offerings. Customers were coming and going and enjoying the scattered tables. I complained on both visits that the doors facing the canal were locked, but either they didn't know what I was tallking about, or have their reasons. :dunno:

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but it's kind of amazing that that there are four eating options in Margaret Freund's Canal Walk complex on 15th Street? BUFFALO WILD WINGS and STOOL PIGEON'S at each end, and RELISH (which has no sign) in the middle, plus a coffee shop that I couldn't find.

Across the street, the buildings wrapping around the southeast corner of Cary and 15th are disgracefully neglected.

let the games begin now that march madness is almost over! mr and mrs bugsy went to mamma zu monday night for the 1st time since we lived in richmond (over a year). we frankly had avoided it with the comments about nasty service and the fact that they don't take reservations. but, we love 81/2 which serves mz stuff and decided to go. we were promptly seated at our arrival at 7.30 and service was among the best we've experienced in richmond...informed on the menu items and efficient and very pleasant without interruption. food ?? sweet breads among the top ive had as far as the meat and breading goes, perhaps i'd order the sauce on the side next time....mrs bugsy had veal marsalla that was good if not overshadowed by the sweet breads. the squid and bean and arugala salad was awesome... a bottle of felsina chianti classico 2004 at $24 made this whole experience among the top in richmond ....sure, go in t-craps and jeans and lock your car, but this was fun and good !

I went to Mamma Zu on Friday night for dinner with a party of 6. The wait couldn't have been longer than 5 minutes... and Mamma Zu is a place where you need a 15 minute wait minimum, so that everyone can select exactly what they want from the chalkboard before being seated.

Our table ended up sharing a large white pizza, roasted red peppers, eggplant permesan, spagetti eggplant, and two spaghetti marinara. The roasted red peppers weren't that great, and I wish I hadn't personally selected the spaghetti marinara due to it, in general, being the most typical and bland item on the menu. However, the food was outstanding as usual... white pizza = heaven.

Concluded the night with a nice tiramisu, and thanked the designated driver of the night for not ordering one.

Sunday, I also went to Carytown Burgers and Fries for the first time. I think it's a great alternative when there are cravings for your typical fast food fare. Yeah that's right, McDonald's, you don't belong in Carytown! But I'm not going to overglorify the place because it has A LOT of room for improvement. With a quality significantly higher than fast food, the prices are significantly higher, which is understandable. However, some of the items are ridiculously priced, such as the potato salad. I ordered the typical cheeseburger, but the pattie was sandwiched in between an excessive amount of bun.