Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Your post was not totally clear. It read to me like you were stating sorry for not including the 2nd restaurant name in your original post. Since Rio Grande closed in 2006-07 I was not sure what you were writing about. I'm not holding my breath - just trying to clear things up.

No problem. The English language can become quite interesting from time to time.

None-the-less this is not good news for Stoney Point. IMO they need something drastic in order to make it a destination. Perhaps a dense mixed used development in place of the parking lots which should include a full service hotel /resort with unique theme. Perhaps a restaurant with a theme relative to the history of Richmond. I am just throwing out ideas.

What do the rest think?

Here's Dana Craig's 3-star take on the Bass Pro Shop's restaurant known as ISLAMORADA FISH COMPANY.

It takes some doing to locate Dana's reviews in the new online RTD format, but here it is.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-180132/134016/

ISLAMORADA FISH COMPANY

Dana Craig's R-TD rating: 3 1/2 stars

11550 Lakeridge Pkwy (off the Lewistown Exit of I-95 north of Richmond.)

Tel. 804/496-4800 (but they don't take reservations. prepare to wait for a table.)

Noise Level: Loud

Smoke Free

Basic Tab for two, excluding beverages and tips: $44

Edited by burt

Style Weekly sent restaurant critic John Haddad to cover STRONG HILL DINING COMPANY which he describes as "one of the top new faces of the year."

I tried bringing John's review over here, but was unsuccessful. Anyway, it is quite good and you might want to read it in the current Style Weekly.

STRONG HILL DINING CO.

1200 N. Boulevard (almost directly across from Buzz and Ned's)

tel. 804/359-0202

Edited by burt

No problem. The English language can become quite interesting from time to time.

None-the-less this is not good news for Stoney Point. IMO they need something drastic in order to make it a destination. Perhaps a dense mixed used development in place of the parking lots which should include a full service hotel /resort with unique theme. Perhaps a restaurant with a theme relative to the history of Richmond. I am just throwing out ideas.

What do the rest think?

Well, since Stony Point really wants to keep its upscale image it would great if there was an independent theater or a really upscale movie theater. In Fairfax Corner where I used to live there was an upscale theater that sold wine and had reserved seating. This or as noted earlier a Westhampton type of independent theater would also be good. They have to try to create more foot traffic while only attracting their desired crowd. Someone else noted the Mike's American Grill type restaurant also in NoVa would probably do well at Stony Point. They always have a strong bar draw. Too bad the Dave and Busters did not go in Stony Point. I'm not sure there is a real need for a hotel in that area but that never seems to stop people from building one. I guess there are not too many nice hotels in that part of town.

Edited by NYCJSW

http://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/gar/

These guys have some good restaurants in NOVA including one at Fairfax Corner called Coastal Flats.

I don't think we'll see a theater go in there... an upscale theater like you're thinking of is coming to the Boulevard in Feb of 09 (Bowtie Cinemas). They'll have wine and beer as well as Sunday mimosas and other amenities.

Stony Point needs to introduce new restaurants and also contemplate other ways to bolster this as the upscale destination. I was thinking another anchor could work but it's not likely to find one in the current economy. Personally, I think one problem is that Taubman owns both Stony Point and Regency...

Any other destination type ideas come to mind besides theaters and anchors (other than Dave and Buster's)?

Edited by wrldcoupe4

http://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/gar/

These guys have some good restaurants in NOVA including one at Fairfax Corner called Coastal Flats.

I don't think we'll see a theater go in there... an upscale theater like you're thinking of is coming to the Boulevard in Feb of 09 (Bowtie Cinemas). They'll have wine and beer as well as Sunday mimosas and other amenities.

Any other destination type ideas come to mind besides theaters and anchors (other than Dave and Buster's)?

An upscale movie theater on the Boulevard? Unless they vastly change that area (won't happen in the next decade) an upscale movie theater there is going to fail. Why would people with money drive to the Boulevard to see a movie when there is very little currently nice about the area? Wouldn't that be a better place for a 99 cents movie theater? There are so many forces against that working.

As far as Stony Point - the good restaurants in the area make it a great location for a pure entertainment destination type business to do well. But I'm at a loss besides some type of theater (play, independent or upscale). Another thing, Stony Point should pay the restaurants to have better paging/beeper systems when you are waiting to be seated. The range on the things should let you go anywhere around Stony Point. This would at least improve some of the foot traffic problem. Currently they tell you to wait near the restaurant. On weekends most of the restaurants have a pretty long waiting list. A small thing but it might help pull people from the restaurant into the shopping area better.

Edited by NYCJSW

With the current economic situation and POSSIBLE stagflation, "upscale" may have to be teporarily re-defined. Rather than seeking an "upscale" establishment, I would like to see Stony Point try to attract an establishment for geared towards tourism. Perhaps a second IMAX theater for the Metro area or even an amphitheater?

An upscale movie theater on the Boulevard? Unless they vastly change that area (won't happen in the next decade) an upscale movie theater there is going to fail. Why would people with money drive to the Boulevard to see a movie when there is very little currently nice about the area? Wouldn't that be a better place for a 99 cents movie theater? There are so many forces against that working.

People will go to Boulevard because currently there is no first run movie theater in the city limits. Residents of the Fan, Ginter Park, Bellevue, Downtown, the Museum District and Windsor Farms will all go to MovieLand. These are people with money. Some of us in the city are tiring of driving to Virginia Center Commons or Short Pump to see a movie. I'm not sure when you last visited that area of Boulevard, but there are many changes occuring and it will be a different place in 5 years. You won't have to wait a decade. Strong Hill is one nice addition. I just had dinner there recently and was very impressed. Of course, there is the Highwoods plans for the Diamond, but I admit that may take a very long time if it ever happens.

MovieLand will also incorporate some retail, so that should help jump start the area.

People will go to Boulevard because currently there is no first run movie theater in the city limits. Residents of the Fan, Ginter Park, Bellevue, Downtown, the Museum District and Windsor Farms will all go to MovieLand. These are people with money. Some of us in the city are tiring of driving to Virginia Center Commons or Short Pump to see a movie. I'm not sure when you last visited that area of Boulevard, but there are many changes occuring and it will be a different place in 5 years. You won't have to wait a decade. Strong Hill is one nice addition. I just had dinner there recently and was very impressed. Of course, there is the Highwoods plans for the Diamond, but I admit that may take a very long time if it ever happens.

MovieLand will also incorporate some retail, so that should help jump start the area.

Sorry but I just don't see it happening. Remember how the Ridge went under? There is just not enough going on in that area to drive a high end theater. They need so much more. Plus, when the first incident of crime occurs at the theater you know what that will do to their high end theater business. A regular theater might be able to make it but I just don't think there are enough people in that area to drive it - let alone a high end theater. I guess we will see. Strong Hill is a nice addition but that is next to nothing (think how many people it takes to support a theater). Changing the image of the boulevard will take more than a few restaurants. I've been to several downtown/inner city theaters (none high scale) and they all struggle finding a balance. The theater by the Verizon Center has a strict dress code which helps. I went to one in Cleveland at Tower City that was great when it opened but now there is talk it may close and many feel it is having a negative effect on the retail part of Tower City.

Sorry but I just don't see it happening. Remember how the Ridge went under? There is just not enough going on in that area to drive a high end theater. They need so much more.

There are several other attractions located within 2 +/- blocks or so from this site: The Science Museum of Virginia and the Children's Museum of Richmond. A few more blocks away are the Virginia Historical Society and Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Retail/restaurants are beginning to transition along this area. The City recently undertook a streetscaping project to improve the aesthetics of the area. Douglas Development owns the former FFV factory and a redevelopment of the Diamond parcels could occur. The theater is less than 1 mile from VCU and its huge student population fanning predominately westward towards this site. These guys seem to be pretty sophisticated operators, so I'm going to remain optimistic as I look forward to having a 1st class cinema minutes from my place!

Movietime will do just fine on North Boulevard. People in Ginter Park, The Fan, Museum District and all over the city as well as parts of Henrico are eagerly awaiting its opening. In this day and age everybody drives to the movies so there is not likely to be heavy pedestrian traffic such as in Carytown, but it will do well, nonetheless. I can't wait for BowTie to begin construction on the plot they own downtown at 3rd and Main!!

Back to dining out, I'm pretty sure Movieland is going to have an adjoining restaurant. Nearby STRONG HILL DINING CO., BUZZ AND NED'S and KITCHEN 64 are doing quite well.

I forgot to say I ate at LULU's the night after Thanksgiving. It was better than OK -- not great, but enjoyable and tasty. It was the first visit for most in my party and they loved it. We also popped into a crowded HALLIGAN'S BAR AND GRILL on 17th Street. It's a fun place.

Had breakfast the day I left Richmond at RIVER CITY DINER on 17th Street in The Bottom while waiting for my train (two hours late arriving MSS from Newport News due to "slow" orders from CSX.) It was an ample but pricey early morning feed -- $12.

Edited by burt

Melissa Ruggieri's Table Talk column in Thursday's R-TD elaborates on KEAGANS RESTAURANT & TAVERN that is set for a May opening in West Broad Village. It will be the third in-state operation of The Virginia Beach based chain. It considers itself a modern classic Irish Pub offering up steaks, seafood, shepherd's pie and Irish breakfast to accompany the suds. According to Melissa, KEAGANS will provide "Irish acoustic music several nights a week and Thursday Wine and Dine special (two entrees and a bottle of wine for $30) are planned."

GORDON BIERSCH BREWERY is slated for a spot just up the road from KEAGANS in WBV, but its opening date has not been announced.

KONA GRILLE's building is nearing completion nearby.

Does anyone know the status of DAVE AND BUSTERS and MC CORMICK & SCHMICKS in WBV?

:rofl: I was checking out the Landmark Theatre website and among its list of nearby dining options is:

TOULOUSE LA CREPE at 620 West Cary Street.

I kid you not! The phone number listed is for a well known Richmond lawyer who does not work weekends according to the voicemail.

If the place truly exists, you've gotta hand it to 'em for originality. :lol:

Why would people with money drive to the Boulevard to see a movie when there is very little currently nice about the area? Wouldn't that be a better place for a 99 cents movie theater? There are so many forces against that working.

The simple answer is because they don't want to have to drive to the far reaches of Henrico or Chesterfield to go to a nice theater. The demand for a first run theater has been there for ages and it's finally being met. Not only will it serve residents in the City but it will be the closest and best theater for folks in the near West End, Varina/East End, and North Side alike. There are plenty of folks to support this theater and though North Boulevard hasn't come into it's own yet, this is just another crucial step in it's resurrection. I haven't been to a theater (with the exception of the Byrd) in ages because I don't like driving 30 minutes to go to a strip mall but I will be going a lot more often now that this theater is here.

The simple answer is because they don't want to have to drive to the far reaches of Henrico or Chesterfield to go to a nice theater. The demand for a first run theater has been there for ages and it's finally being met. Not only will it serve residents in the City but it will be the closest and best theater for folks in the near West End, Varina/East End, and North Side alike. There are plenty of folks to support this theater and though North Boulevard hasn't come into it's own yet, this is just another crucial step in it's resurrection. I haven't been to a theater (with the exception of the Byrd) in ages because I don't like driving 30 minutes to go to a strip mall but I will be going a lot more often now that this theater is here.

What's more, Movietime cinemas will offer considerably more luxurious amenities than Regal, Carmack, etc. Those BowTie boys know a thing or two about movie theaters. The entire Richmond region is in for a treat come early 2009!

GIBSON'S GRILL in the National Theatre Building at 7th and Broad Streets is officially open daily 'til 2am for lunch and dinner.

Seats 150 on two levels - two fully stocked bars. Food served as late as 1am.

Tel. 804/644-2637

They list a website, but so far it does not tell you anything. http://www.gibsonsgrill.com

Edited by burt

A tatoo isn't required to enter STRONGHILL DINING CO, but the inking shop across the street is probably doing better business since the North Boulevard eatery opened.

The RTD's esteemed foody Dana Craig adds the restaurant to her four star list, waxing poetic over her wild boar entree and chocolate mousse dessert.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-193734/148120/

STRONGHILL DINING CO.

Dana's rating: 4 Stars.

1200 N. Boulevard (across from the soon-to-open Movietime cinemas.)

Tel. 804/359-0202

Noise level: Average.

Tab for two: $90 (not including martinis.)

Side note: It may be an age thing, but neither my friend nor I could remember the name of the place when discussing it a few days after our excellent dinners there. She thought it was Roundhill and I argued for Soundhill.

Edited by burt

Melissa Ruggieri tells us in her Table Talk column in today's RTD that THE PIZZA HUT on West Grace near Laurel Street in the VCU Fan campus area will be reincarnated as CHIPOTLE.

Also, the construction going on at the n/w corner of Laurel and Grace will be called Grace & Laurel Commons in March and will contain a two-story THE PIZZA PLACE (presently at 17th and Main Streets) and a PANERA. Melissa did not say whether The Pizza Place is an expansion or a relocation.

PESCADOS is still very much "on" for Oregan Hill. I just talked to owner/chef Todd Manly at the original location in Midlothian, and despite the faltering economy, Todd has some exciting plans for his expansion of PESCADOS in the former Hollywood Grill at the corner of China and Pine Streets (about two blocks from Mamma Zu.)

Maybe late February of '09 will see the opening, but that is not set in stone. There have been and remain many stumbling blocks including permits, construction/wiring/plumbing delays and the dollar squeeze.

In addition to traditional seafood dishes served on the Midlothian menu, the Oregan Hill PESCADOS will offer tapas at the full-service bar which may be ordered by plate color. Todd will offer "Two for Tuesday" specials for $10 and a pair of beers for five bucks. Two could eat for $7.50 each plus tax and tip!! Wednesdays will feature 10 inch high fritas and free marguiritas. There'll be tacos stuffed with flounder, filet mignion and/or free range chicken on the menu. And watch for "the craziest brunch" in Richmond once things get going.

The one and only PESCADOS at this moment is at 13126 Midlothian Tpk, tel. 804/379-7121. Call Todd, wish him luck, knock twice and tell him Burt sent you. :alc:

Edited by burt

There has been a MAX & ERMA'S on John Rolfe Pkwy in the far West End since the year 2000. Today, the newest one in Virginia (there are 5 others) opens on West Broad Street near The Westin Hotel at Reynolds Crossing. Altria Headquarters and The Sheraton West are a stone's throw away.

Edited by burt