VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

1 hour ago, Hike said:

I had hoped this one would start in 2022 but looks like we have to wait another year.  Is this a new rendering, I haven't seen it.  Have others seen this one already or has it been developed and updated?  It looks great and the size, scale is huge.  The link below says August 2023 start for site, December 2024 building start, completion March 2026 - here's the link.  

https://fmd.vcu.edu/departments/construction-management/capital-construction/current-projects/aiab/

VCU Arts & Innovation.jpg

This is actually quite an impressive building. Gorgeous, innovative design - and a bit less space-shippy than the previous rendering.

Am I mistaken or does it appear that this building has the height equivalent of about 10 stories (or more, depending how high the second, more elevated curved, darker-glass structure (toward the back of the picture) rises above the street-facing roofline. This building seems to have with it "surprising" size - both in terms of overall "largeness" and height.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

This would/will be amazing as a gateway at that corner directly across from the ICA

If this updated rendering bears out and the building actually looks like this, I would tend to agree, Coupe. This update is very impressive - much more so than the previous iteration.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

This is actually quite an impressive building. Gorgeous, innovative design - and a bit less space-shippy than the previous rendering.

Am I mistaken or does it appear that this building has the height equivalent of about 10 stories (or more, depending how high the second, more elevated curved, darker-glass structure (toward the back of the picture) rises above the street-facing roofline. This building seems to have with it "surprising" size - both in terms of overall "largeness" and height.

It's at least 10 stories,  some of the floors look like they are 3 floors tall, so hard to tell, and yes, it looks amazing and changed for the better...

30 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Pretty sure it’s already there. 

ok, makes sense, maybe that's why I feel like I've seen it somewhere...

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hike said:

It's at least 10 stories,  some of the floors look like they are 3 floors tall, so hard to tell, and yes, it looks amazing and changed for the better...

ok, makes sense, maybe that's why I feel like I've seen it somewhere...

Sneaky large and sneaky tall. VERY impressive. :tw_wink::tw_thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hike said:

I had hoped this one would start in 2022 but looks like we have to wait another year.  Is this a new rendering, I haven't seen it.  Have others seen this one already or has it been developed and updated?  It looks great and the size, scale is huge.  The link below says August 2023 start for site, December 2024 building start, completion March 2026 - here's the link.  

https://fmd.vcu.edu/departments/construction-management/capital-construction/current-projects/aiab/

VCU Arts & Innovation.jpg

Not often that a rendering takes my breath away.

Wow.

• Like 3

Speaking of vcu does anyone know when block d vcu office building is supposed to start? Have heard crickets from that project. Wondering if they went back and tried to increase the height again. I’m hoping they had a last second dose/boost  of project height increase. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Speaking of vcu does anyone know when block d vcu office building is supposed to start? Have heard crickets from that project. Wondering if they went back and tried to increase the height again. I’m hoping they had a last second dose/boost  of project height increase. 

I was wondering myself. I'd honestly just as soon they hold off until the economy and construction costs level off - then go back to the drawing board and see if the original plan can be resurrected. The one fly in the ointment - I believe it would require a greater space commitment from VCU to get this building anywhere back close to the 20 stories originally proposed. Our gurus could tell us best, but I think it all boils down to the one lesson they've been drivig home: There's this one rather glaring problem called "Richmond's market size". The long and the short of it is:  we're not growing fast enough and we're still too damn small to get big projects built on spec because there's no demand for that here, costs are too high, rent prospects are too low, and stuff that works just okie-dokie fine in Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, among many other cities just flat doesn't work here because - again - we're too damn small and not growing fast enough.

THAT said - I'm not holding my breath one iota that we're EVER going to see anything meaningful from Block D unless and until come organization, whether VCU Health or a private sector corporation that relos to RVA likes the spot and wants to partake of significant space there - commits to space. Let's just call this what it is. I'm sick and tired of getting my hopes up about Block D or for any kind of large-scale (as in tall) office space outside of CoStar's HQ being built in this city any time soon.

Sorry, gents - Block D is a real sore spot with me - just like 512 Hull Street is (even though I feel awful for the developer of 512 Hull given what happened re: COVID.) And Richmond's market size and rate of growth is a gigantic sore spot with me of Biblical proportions. Don't get me started.

21 hours ago, Hike said:

Zoom in and look at the left side of the rendering, the building just goes on and on.

18525153_VCUArtsInnovation.jpg.94973eb8b

I might be wrong about this - but I believe that, if constructed to these spec, this building will give RVA an iconic building that could and probably should be classified as "world class" - it's THAT epic a structure. This is the kind of building you see in New York or D.C. or in European cities like London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Helsinki...  To say I'm impressed by this one is an understatement.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I was wondering myself. I'd honestly just as soon they hold off until the economy and construction costs level off - then go back to the drawing board and see if the original plan can be resurrected. The one fly in the ointment - I believe it would require a greater space commitment from VCU to get this building anywhere back close to the 20 stories originally proposed. Our gurus could tell us best, but I think it all boils down to the one lesson they've been drivig home: There's this one rather glaring problem called "Richmond's market size". The long and the short of it is:  we're not growing fast enough and we're still too damn small to get big projects built on spec because there's no demand for that here, costs are too high, rent prospects are too low, and stuff that works just okie-dokie fine in Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, among many other cities just flat doesn't work here because - again - we're too damn small and not growing fast enough.

THAT said - I'm not holding my breath one iota that we're EVER going to see anything meaningful from Block D unless and until come organization, whether VCU Health or a private sector corporation that relos to RVA likes the spot and wants to partake of significant space there - commits to space. Let's just call this what it is. I'm sick and tired of getting my hopes up about Block D or for any kind of large-scale (as in tall) office space outside of CoStar's HQ being built in this city any time soon.

Sorry, gents - Block D is a real sore spot with me - just like 512 Hull Street is (even though I feel awful for the developer of 512 Hull given what happened re: COVID.) And Richmond's market size and rate of growth is a gigantic sore spot with me of Biblical proportions. Don't get me started.

I might be wrong about this - but I believe that, if constructed to these spec, this building will give RVA an iconic building that could and probably should be classified as "world class" - it's THAT epic a structure. This is the kind of building you see in New York or D.C. or in European cities like London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Helsinki...  To say I'm impressed by this one is an understatement.

im with you on block d. I’d rather they hold off and garner more interest into making it taller again. I’m very disappointed in the current state it’s in. Also on the new building across from ica I agree 100 percent that is a world class looking building. Not sure I have even seen a building that nice in Richmond up until now. Not getting excited as we know what happens to nice designs in this town. They get scrapped or don’t turn out how the rendering should and gets the dollar store treatment instead of the neiman Marcus treatment. Hoping this one stays as is when completed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

im with you on block d. I’d rather they hold off and garner more interest into making it taller again. I’m very disappointed in the current state it’s in. Also on the new building across from ica I agree 100 percent that is a world class looking building. Not sure I have even seen a building that nice in Richmond up until now. Not getting excited as we know what happens to nice designs in this town. They get scrapped or don’t turn out how the rendering should and gets the dollar store treatment instead of the neiman Marcus treatment. Hoping this one stays as is when completed.

Re: Block D: I'm not holding my breath. Things like this (a tall spec building being constucted) just don't happen in Richmond. Unfortunately, unlike Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Nashville and COUNTLESS other cities, we're neither big enough nor are we growing fast enough to support a large spec project. I'm beginning to question if I'll ever see one in my lifetime, going forward. Barring a large space commitment from VCU Health - or - a large-enough corporation making a surprise relocation to RVA and deciding to commit to a big chunk of space in a Block-D building, we won't ever see that beautiful 20-story building rise on Leigh betwen 9th and 10th. It sucks BIG TIME but it's the simple reality of the situation. Without a firm space commitment by a large organization to occupy said space, a market the size of Richmond will only see "meh" built.

Gents, please spare me the "don't be a 'Debbie Downer'" admonitions - it's just how it is, and sometimes the truth sucks.

Thanking my lucky stars for CoStar - and praying LEGO will relocate their U.S. HQ to RVA within a decade. That could be a real game-changer!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

Hey look, regardless of market size, the reality is no major office occupier that isn't tied to VCU wants to be in that location. There was a chance with a cohesive master development like Navy Hill. If the use isn't tied to VCU Health, government, or the biotech park, I just don't see anything else going there. Maybe this changes if the City Center plan starts to actually happen and take shape. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Maybe this changes if the City Center plan starts to actually happen and take shape. 

I honestly think block d needs to be directly related to long term plans of City Center. I know CoStar was looking at Navy Hill relocation as was another company I don't want to openly mention (that's already downtown). 

If block D can prepare for future City Center development that would be ideal... hope they're not just building as a lone wolf out there.

City Center will be fun to watch... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I honestly think block d needs to be directly related to long term plans of City Center. I know CoStar was looking at Navy Hill relocation as was another company I don't want to openly mention (that's already downtown). 

If block D can prepare for future City Center development that would be ideal... hope they're not just building as a lone wolf out there.

City Center will be fun to watch... 

Block D is included in the overall City Center SAP and would be covered by the proposed upzoning that's been moving through the city the last couple of months. City planners have done an excellent job integrating key components of the Navy Hill plan - and Block D was one of those key components. CCP essentially IS moving as a lone-wolf developer on this property, since they purchased the land after the NH proposal went down in flames. I really wish they'd hold off - and perhaps the city can put some serious focus into a good, cohesive guidance for development and recruitment of both developers and businesses. I know the adage of "don't let 'perfect' be the enemy of 'good' is applicable here, but at the same time, the adage of 'don't settle for garbage' certainly applies as well. And while it's a purposeful editorial overstatement on my part to call the 'new' Block D plan 'garbage' what ISN'T an overstatement is that we can do a LOT better. I'd just as soon Block D get scrapped for now and once City Center starts to unfold, perhaps we have the chance to get something bigger, better, more robust.

Indeed, @ancientcarpenterI agree with you. City Center will be fun to watch. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

I'm bummed because of the tower component by VCU being reduced in size but having a new facility for the Doorways and Ronald McDonald House charities is important and very, very needed, what's being used now for these vital components is very sub-par and need replacement.  I'd like these to be upgraded as they're good support for families that are here for long term hospital patients, hopefully VCU adds to the office portion of the project or if not, then perhaps there are other projects later that will add to the vertical of this area.  I did look at the GC's website (DPR) and also VCU, plus the architects SMBW & KieranTimberlake for any sign of this development and none of these have a hint of anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

I'm bummed because of the tower component by VCU being reduced in size but having a new facility for the Doorways and Ronald McDonald House charities is important and very, very needed, what's being used now for these vital components is very sub-par and need replacement.  I'd like these to be upgraded as they're good support for families that are here for long term hospital patients, hopefully VCU adds to the office portion of the project or if not, then perhaps there are other projects later that will add to the vertical of this area.  I did look at the GC's website (DPR) and also VCU, plus the architects SMBW & KieranTimberlake for any sign of this development and none of these have a hint of anything.

DPR is no longer involved in the block D project. I can't get into all the details, but essentially the developer wanted wood construction to save on costs and DPR doesn't do wood construction.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

DPR is no longer involved in the block D project. I can't get into all the details, but essentially the developer wanted wood construction to save on costs and DPR doesn't do wood construction.

Ok, didn’t know that, it was about 9 months to a year since I worked with them on the children’s hospital and at that time they were.  Thanks for updating me on this, I’m no longer involved in construction so my access to projects is very diminished.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

When you say wood do you mean CLT or the stick stuff they build most of the 5-6 story apts with? sounds like this is going from worse to worse

Felt that as well, hoped it may be like the CoStar type, which I guess is the CLT and used for larger projects.

28 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

When you say wood do you mean CLT or the stick stuff they build most of the 5-6 story apts with? sounds like this is going from worse to worse

I was going to say that this sounds terrible!  20 stories to 5-6 stick framed structure?!  Why even bother?  Hopefully, they will use CLT to make it worth it...and even then...

9 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I was going to say that this sounds terrible!  20 stories to 5-6 stick framed structure?!  Why even bother?  Hopefully, they will use CLT to make it worth it...and even then...

Is the developer future cities, the same that are developing the green city project?

1 minute ago, Hike said:

Is the developer future cities, the same that are developing the green city project?

Yes it is...and I'm a little concerned that despite the media story this week that Green City will break ground next year, the story was very vague on the arena and when it will break ground.  I really hope their sales pitch is not a whole lot of bloat and hot air.

23 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yes it is...and I'm a little concerned that despite the media story this week that Green City will break ground next year, the story was very vague on the arena and when it will break ground.  I really hope their sales pitch is not a whole lot of bloat and hot air.

They have slick ideas and all but ultimately it comes down to getting built.  I just remembered something, Henrico just lured away the guy from RIR to run the development of the arena. Henrico doesn’t play around and having hired a guy and a team already for the arena, this project can’t be that far behind.

also, from future cities website, they are doing this in “wood” for the arena, so perhaps the VCU development here is just part of changes occurring in construction now.

https://futurecities.us/scott-road-bridge/

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3