VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they're up to the 13th floor -- 5 more to go (it's slated for 18 stories) -- don't count the parking deck levels on the east side as floors (second picture is the view from NE of the building). The first picture will give you the more accurate floor count.

Regarding the planned 20-story building (and the adjacent new buildings) - has anyone seen a time-table for that project?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Regarding the planned 20-story building (and the adjacent new buildings) - has anyone seen a time-table for that project?

This is exactly my question as well.  City Council must approve it (not sure if the Planning Commission needs a say as well), but I’ve heard nothing that they’re even talking about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Well, it was an unsolicited offer for City owned property. If they decide to engage, the City will issue an RFP for the sale of the property for other bidders.  Then the City would have to select a buyer and negotiate a purchase agreement, go before Council, etc. So my guess on timeline is... never?

I laughed and then the next second cried because you are probably right...unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, eandslee said:

I laughed and then the next second cried because you are probably right...unfortunately. 

Yep - same here.

3 hours ago, Shakman said:

Don't forget, part of the process will be to hire a third party consultant to study this matter.   

...which will result in the consultant's findings being completely ignored by the City.

Watch this thing get pushed back well past the election. Heaven-forbid a new project start on a parcel of what was the NH project before one of the NIMBY-members (think Grey, for example) can get in there to totally monkey-wrench this thing. Just what Richmond needs -- the Density-Nazis -- God-forbid -- getting into power -- "no high-rises for you!!" (with apologies to Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld)

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While looking at the VCU Outpatient webcam, I noticed a temporary facade extending up the south elevation of the tower along East Leigh Street.  This is in addition to the temporary facade previously discussed.

Steel is also starting to rise from the top of the existing Children's Hospital.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The most consequential ones (in terms of proposed and currently anticipated) imo would be the Monroe Ward site, followed by the General Services Building site next to this one where VCU/Doorways/McDonald House is proposing 2 mid-rises+ 1 high-rise. Those would be the most impactful on the skyline I would think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

The most consequential ones (in terms of proposed and currently anticipated) imo would be the Monroe Ward site, followed by the General Services Building site next to this one where VCU/Doorways/McDonald House is proposing 2 mid-rises+ 1 high-rise. Those would be the most impactful on the skyline I would think.

For downtown, absolutely. I'll admit - I'm greedy. I want all of 'em going up at the same time (including the one in Scott's Addition and the two in Manchester). ;)

• Like 1

Spectacular photo!! What's most impressive about it is actually what's going on in the background. Gives us a very good overall look at the progress on the Children's Hospital and General Assembly building construction. When both buildings reach their full height, this section of downtown will definitely have quite a bit more muscle. Imagine if the 20-story tower (and the rest of the high-density development) were to rise soon on the block immediately west of the Outpatient Hospital. And what is the 4-story rectangular brown-brick building along 10th street (lower right-hand corner of the photo) just north of the Children's Hospital construction? Obviously a VCU-owned structure (I would imagine) - wondering if perhaps it might one day be torn down and replaced with something 15-18 stories tall (perhaps another in the ever-expanding series of hospital buildings)?

Doesn't the VCU master plan actually call for building another relatively large (15+ stories) building EAST of the new Outpatient hospitial? I recall seeing something about the School of Dentistry needing a new building - and another large-scale building to rise at some point on the eastern edge of the medical campus.

• Like 3