VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Exciting news: VCU's endowment is now officially $1.326 billion due to "board re-designated long-term investments held by VCU entities as 'quasi-endowments' that are unrestricted/not-needed for general operating expenses". 

Of note: 

• This represents a 202% change in market value when comparing 2012 and 2013.
  • VCU now ranks 61st among US universities in endowment value; however, if the assets of MCV (ranked 209th) were combined with VCU's they would collectively sum to $1.671 billion and be ranked 47th. 
  • Considering its new total VCU now has the 23rd highest endowment per student.

References:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/top-college-endowments-per-student-in-2013/2014/01/28/ed582efe-881f-11e3-a5bd-844629433ba3_story.html

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/Endowment%20Files/2013NCSEEndowmentMarketValuesRevisedJan232014.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

VCU has announced that the Basketball Practice Facility will break ground on June 2.

Wow. In two days, we have announced groundbreakings for the ICA and the practice facility. We're on a roll!

Here's more info on the practice facility by VCU Athletics:

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20140509cozdh8

EDIT: Here's info from the architect's (VMDO Architects) website:

http://www.vmdo.com/project.php?ID=86

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1

That looks great.

The newly installed glass curtain/wall at a Grace and Shaffer looks really nice too!

Anyone have any photos?  I would love to see what Brent is talking about.  Unfortunately, no webcams that I know of that work pointing in that direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, when you click on the link, it has the same image there as yesterday before the groundbreaking.  The VCU RAMCAM on the other hand has live streaming video of the site...even if the image is smaller.  I do like contruction cams though!  Thanks for posting Brent!

Some nice info in this article on the recent VCU housing developments and also including some interesting details on Central National Bank development.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/metro-business/new-buildings-at-vcu-reach-high/article_d95f2d76-f98f-571d-a857-0d6be3a048f0.html

The Central National Bank building at Broad and Third streets, once the city’s tallest skyscraper when it opened in 1929, is being converted into 200 apartments.

A four-story bank annex facing Grace Street will be renovated first and turned into 80 apartments, which are scheduled to open in July.

The 23-story tower, which will house the remaining apartments, is scheduled to open late this year.

Some nice info in this article on the recent VCU housing developments and also including some interesting details on Central National Bank development.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/metro-business/new-buildings-at-vcu-reach-high/article_d95f2d76-f98f-571d-a857-0d6be3a048f0.html

I had read in the RTD (I believe) that the CNB Tower renovation has come to a halt due to changes to the tax law.  They were hoping that the work would only be stopped for a couple weeks while the CPAs sort out all the tax implications for the project.  I hope they have started working on it again.  Can anyone confirm?  I did see the tower the other night from I-95 as I drove through and the tower looks great illuminated...well, light through the windows could be seen.  I'd actually like to see the building brightly illuminated on the outside too - now, that would be sweet!

I like the photos attached to the article of the Grace Street projects as well.  They appear a bit old though.  Considering the residential building is supposed to be ready by the time school starts for VCU in August, there appears to be a whole lot of work left to do!

Edited by eandslee

I had read in the RTD (I believe) that the CNB Tower renovation has come to a halt due to changes to the tax law.  They were hoping that the work would only be stopped for a couple weeks while the CPAs sort out all the tax implications for the project.  I hope they have started working on it again.  Can anyone confirm?  I did see the tower the other night from I-95 as I drove through and the tower looks great illuminated...well, light through the windows could be seen.  I'd actually like to see the building brightly illuminated on the outside too - now, that would be sweet!

I like the photos attached to the article of the Grace Street projects as well.  They appear a bit old though.  Considering the residential building is supposed to be ready by the time school starts for VCU in August, there appears to be a whole lot of work left to do!

The pictures are definitely old as the building is topped out and most (if not all) of the curtain is up.

• Like 1

I had read in the RTD (I believe) that the CNB Tower renovation has come to a halt due to changes to the tax law.  They were hoping that the work would only be stopped for a couple weeks while the CPAs sort out all the tax implications for the project.  I hope they have started working on it again.  Can anyone confirm?

I'm never in that area during construction/work hours so I can't confirm.

However, I did notice that the construction barriers that had been blocking the left hand parking (and most of the driving) lane on 3rd street have been pushed back onto the sidewalk. If it were an active construction site I imagine they wouldn't move the barriers every night.