VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steven Holl, whose architectural firm designed the VCU Institute of Contemporary Art, will speak on campus Wednesday, September 12th. His design, as seen several months ago in New York, will open September 13th at The Virginia Center for Architecture at 2501 Monument Avenue (the huge Tudor mansion on the corner of Davis and Monument.)

From John Murden at Fan of the Fan blog:

http://fanofthefan.c...ct-steven-holl/

BONUS: Scroll all the way down to the bottom of John's article and view his flickr pictures. There are some shots of the new Fresh Market in the old Verizon building as well as many others you may or may not recognize.

Edited by burt

Why are they moving in so early?

I remember when I lived in the dorms I moved in only about a week early.

August 1st seemed more like move-in day for all of Richmond (with so many students living around the city's core).

Almost every block in the Fan was partially obstructed with a moving truck. And parking is noticeably more difficult to come by around my residential building as students begin to trickly back to town. The easy parking was fun while it lasted!

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the periodic university update for VCU and scrolled down to the Master Site Plan update and found this:

Additionally, we will break ground of the new Pavilion at the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU next month.

Several Google searches later I stumbled upon a conceptual rendering of the new facility dated back to last year. All I can say is WOW, but have a look for yourself:

This last link is from VCU's wesbite:

http://www.maps.vcu.edu/mcv/pavilion/

The Children’s Pavilion is currently under construction. The new pavilion will be the largest and most advanced outpatient facility dedicated to children in the region. It will bring the majority of the pediatric services currently spread throughout the MCV Campus to one location. The pavilion will house 72 exam rooms, a surgical area and areas for testing, x-rays, lab services and more. Construction will include an attached parking deck with over 600 spaces.

Just received the periodic university update for VCU and scrolled down to the Master Site Plan update and found this:

Several Google searches later I stumbled upon a conceptual rendering of the new facility dated back to last year. All I can say is WOW, but have a look for yourself:

This last link is from VCU's wesbite:

http://www.maps.vcu.edu/mcv/pavilion/

Will the Childrens Pavilion addition be built beside city hall facing Broad St.?

Edited by calwinston

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there will be any ground floor retail or other "public use" spaces for the new Children's Hospital?

The stretch of Broad between The National all the way east to the McDonalds at 18th and Broad is almost completely devoid of any kind of street-facing retail.

I think a lunch counter or small bistro would work well there (plenty of office workers between the State Capitol, City Hall and MCV) or even something like a CVS or Walgreens where patients could fill their prescription cheaper than at the hospital pharmacy.

Another nice rendering discovery, Tommy.

It appears the building will have about 10 levels.

RVA, discussion on this Children's Medical Pavillion has spread to the Development thread. In a comment there, I suggested that Urban Outfitters might be appropriate for the ground floor retail space. It could spark other retail development in a district that includes not only VCU Medical, but local, Federal and state government offices and is within blocks of entertainment venues like The National, Richmond CenterStage and the existing Coliseum.

What do you think?

PS for RVA: A new upscale breakfast/lunch cafe has just opened at 7th and Broad (across from The National and the Fed Court House) in UR's downtown "campus." It's called RICHMOND ON BROAD.

See Dining Out thread for details.

Edited by burt

Altria, parent of Phillip Morris USA, has announced a $1.5 Million donation to VCU's da Vinci Center for Innovation.

About a month ago, Altria bought $10 million worth of naming rights for Richmond's Landmark Theatre which is undergoing a $50 Million renovation.

It was New York City's loss when the company moved its headquarters to Richmond several years ago. And it has certainly been Richmond's gain.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/news/2012/sep/17/altria-will-donate-15-million-to-vcu-ar-2212325/

Altria, parent of Phillip Morris USA, has announced a $1.5 Million donation to VCU's da Vinci Center for Innovation.

About a month ago, Altria bought $10 million worth of naming rights for Richmond's Landmark Theatre which is undergoing a $50 Million renovation.

It was New York City's loss when the company moved its headquarters to Richmond several years ago. And it has certainly been Richmond's gain.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...vcu-ar-2212325/

Certainly warms my heart to see Richmond's major corporations giving out money to fund some nice projects and causes. Now if we can only get them to help with 2015 :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Joseph Seipel, dean of VCU's School of Arts, says the new Institute for Contemporary Art at Belvidere and Broad will be a catalyst for Richmond.

60% 0f the $35 million needed has already been raised and its hoped the Steven Holl designed building will open in 2015.

From yesterday's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/economy/calendar-highlight-vcu-s-institute-for-contemporary-art-will-be/article_be2771b0-1439-54cf-9823-63c51a2f1334.html

Here's the building rendering:

http://www.archdaily.com/229760/steven-holl-architects-unveils-vcu-institute-for-cotemporary-art-at-meulensteen-gallery/night-view_01_90sd-version/

Edited by burt

That VCU Basketball practice facility that was announced like a year ago out of excitement created from the post-Final Four frenzy now has renderings. Along with a new rendering that is VERY glassy ;) of Cabell Library's expansion, all part of the VCU 2020 Master Plan UPDATE for February 2013!

http://wp.vcu.edu/vcu2020/files/2013/02/BOVFeb13MPFinal2.pdf

Oh, and Happy Valentines Day everyone! 

There is so much to be excited about in this plan. The office building at Grace and Shafer (11floors)! The high rise student housing at Grace and Laurel! The mixed use at Grace and Harrison! The biotech area is looking great! It's amazing to think how different the city would look if all of this come to fruition!

The parking deck across 95! Visible development on both sides of the interstate finally!

There is so much to be excited about in this plan. The office building at Grace and Shafer (11floors)! The high rise student housing at Grace and Laurel! The mixed use at Grace and Harrison! The biotech area is looking great! It's amazing to think how different the city would look if all of this come to fruition!

The parking deck across 95! Visible development on both sides of the interstate finally!

I'm glad people are liking the plan for a deck there. A lot is just too bland for urban settings, and it adds more density for a deck (not to mention more spaces for more cars).

I also do like the new Allied Health Professions building replacing that dull low rise complex of four student housing buildings (McRae, Rudd, Bear and Warner.) They are simply too bland. I also am excited by the huge news of the large and tall buildings like the office building as well as the new high rise dorm at BookHolders.com location ;)

And not to mention the elimination of another ugly parking lot on Broad by building the outpatient, ultra-modern Children's Pavilion. High-rising with the tall McGlothlin School of Medicine building that adds more and more density to VCU Med. Center, and of course another ugly lot deleted at the major Broad/Belvidere location with the exciting modern ICA being built by a world-renowned architect Steve Holl. The new renderings for the Cabell expansion are curvy and glassy, two things I like A LOT. The mixed use at the abandoned ol' 500 Academic Center is something I also really love too! It will add mroe density (and 500 Center has a tiny, ugly parking lot in front too!) The sketch for that entire area actually has the deck blended and built into the housing and offices and academic buildings, and I LOVE the mini MWV headquarters-shaped Performing Arts building facing Broad! :D

And I'll be interested to see what happens and what they'll do for replacement of the Thalhimer Tennis Center once the Life Sciences building is built....  :whistling:

So all in all, you have to definitely feel fortunate. This university has certainly done A LOT to help this city reinvent itself.