VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Eugene Trani, who is recovering from quintuple coronary bypass surgery, has announced that he will step down on July 1st of 2009, a year earlier than previously announced.

Breaking News from today's inRich:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/times_dispatch.html

When I first read this headline, I was very excited - not that Trani hasn't done a lot for VCU becuase I think he's lifted that university up from grave, but rather I was excited because, perhaps with him gone, the new VCU leader might be up for formulating a football program. All that excitement went away when I read the article a little further that we was going to teach at the university after next year. This means that he will still have enough "pull" and "say" at VCU to squash any of those plans. <_<

Do they front Belvidere or Cary, Henry?

Chilis isn't open yet but the sign is on the building. Chilis fronts, well sides, Cary Street with some outdoor seating, looks like the place will have some interior courtyard views too. Starbucks faces Belvidere and has been open for about 5 days. The market faces Belvidere too (all of the entrances for the three businesses are located at the tip of the triangle at the corner of Belvidere and Cary).

Chilis isn't open yet but the sign is on the building. Chilis fronts, well sides, Cary Street with some outdoor seating, looks like the place will have some interior courtyard views too. Starbucks faces Belvidere and has been open for about 5 days. The market faces Belvidere too (all of the entrances for the three businesses are located at the tip of the triangle at the corner of Belvidere and Cary).

Thanks for clarifying, Brent. So, there is an inner courtyard? Chili's is a sit-down restaurant with a more serious menu than McDonald's, etc., isn't it? Does it have a bar?

What is the "market" to which you refer?

Thanks for clarifying, Brent. So, there is an inner courtyard? Chili's is a sit-down restaurant with a more serious menu than McDonald's, etc., isn't it? Does it have a bar?

What is the "market" to which you refer?

Burt, there is a courtyard tucked into the residential building which is visible from Madison Street looking SW. Facing Belvidere, there is a small Market/Deli which I suspect is more of a dressed up convenience store than anything else.

Virginia Commonwealth University, the beleagured institution of higher learning that, IMO, has contributed mightily to Richmond's rise from academic mediocrity, has agreed to cede a portion of its Medical College parking lot for historical purposes.

The wonderful Phil Riggan of inRich has provided another of his excellent videos depicting the notorious slave trail. After viewing it, check Slide Show in the accompanying story by writer Will Jones to see other depictions of interest.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-29-0116.html

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

Mary Jane Hogue, The Executive Director of Historic Richmond Foundation offers[ the following regarding West Hospital:

"This summer VCU was most welcoming when HRF asked for a meeting to discuss concerns over future plans regarding West Hospital. Brian Ohlinger, Associate VP for Facilities Management, Mary Cox, VCU University Architect, and John Bennett, Senior VP for Finance and Administration, were honestly pleased that HRF would come to discuss our concerns with them face to face before making public assumptions on the subject."

Here is VCU's reply:

"VCU has no capital project on its six year capital outlay plan that affects West Hospital, nor is one in the active discussion stage. Any project that might impact West Hospital is [my caps] AT LEAST A DECADE AWAY.

"We do not take decisions to demolish any building lightly and it is only after careful thought and deliberation within the University and its Board of Visitors that such a decsion is made."

Edited by burt

"A decade away," is no consolation. We need a promise they'd preserve the building and rehab it to another use. And light it up!

At least a decade away. A lot of new things to retrofit old buildings can be developed in 10 years. This opens the door for brainstorming and brigh ideas to develop. I wouldn't call it a "goner" just yet. That's a pretty good stay of execution there.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A contributor at Richmond City Watch whose tag is VCUToni has posted a pdf about the replacement of the old mid-rise AD Williams building with a new School of Medicine. Construction is sceduled to begin in 2010.

The project on the Medical campus diagonally across Marshall Street from the Gateway Building will cost close to $160M and will not immediately impact West Hospital.

See the schematics here (warning PDF:)

http://www.fmd.vcu.edu/vcu_new_som.pdf

Edited by burt

A contributor at Richmond City Watch whose tag is VCUToni has posted a pdf about the replacement of the old mid-rise AD Williams building with a new School of Medicine. Construction is sceduled to begin in 2010.

The project on the Medical campus diagonally across Marshall Street from the Gateway Building will cost close to $160M and will not immediately impact West Hospital.

See the schematics here (warning PDF:)

http://www.fmd.vcu.edu/vcu_new_som.pdf

I'm surprised this story hasn't evoked any comment from readers. Although it has distinguished architects (PEI, COBB FREED and Partners)), I could do with a few more windows or other transparency.

Edited by burt