VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

Hey Burt, I didn't get a chance to take any pics for you today. It was just one of those days, running around like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to get things done. I just wanted to let you know that I didn't forget, and I'll get some posted in the next day or two.

Great shx. They're going to be interior shots, right?

Looking forward to them whenever you have the time.

Hey Burt, I've been stuck in one area at work for the past couple days, and with it being crunch time and all, I just havn't had the time to walk around and snap pics. Here's a couple that I snapped yesterday, in the business portion of the building. I took a couple of the atrium, which also show what will be thier fancy "mock trading room" (the second floor area with the darker wood grain walls). The rest of the business building consists mostly of tiered classrooms, which I'll show you one below, and a ton of small faculty offices. I'll take some more pics for you, as my work carries me into other parts of the building.

atrium2.jpg

atrium1.jpg

classroom.jpg

Edited by satanhanx

Hey Burt, I've been stuck in one area at work for the past couple days, and with it being crunch time and all, I just havn't had the time to walk around and snap pics. Here's a couple that I snapped yesterday, in the business portion of the building. I took a couple of the atrium, which also show what will be thier fancy "mock trading room" (the second floor area with the darker wood grain walls). The rest of the business building consists mostly of tiered classrooms, which I'll show you one below, and a ton of small faculty offices. I'll take some more pics for you, as my work carries me into other parts of the building.

atrium2.jpg

atrium1.jpg

classroom.jpg

That's a lot of wood paneling... and those are some funky desks. :whistling:

Yea, cpeak. When I first glanced at the classroom, I thought for a second it was some kind of new-fangled lecture hall seating arrangement.

I like the sweeping staircase in the atrium.

Is the Trading Room behind the dark, curved windowed wall on the second level?

Thanks for these sathanx. Looking forward to more.

To answer a couple quick questions before I go to bed.....

Yes, the curved wall section on the second floor is for the trading room. There is still a lot of work to be done on the interior of this room, though most of the rest of the business rooms are nearing completion.

As far as the tiered seating room is concerned, all of those style rooms are labelled as "classrooms" on our drawings. I don't think the chairs will be atatched to the tables. They've only been delivering furniture for about a week now, and most rooms are still quite empty.

More pics to come, but trust me, there's not a whole lot more to see. Maybe I've just been there too long, and have grown tired of the place. lol.

Not much of an update today, snapped 2 quick pics for you guys. The first one is on the 2nd floor, standing in the middle of what we call "the radius". If you drive down main st., it's the big half circle, where a driveway and landscaping was just installed. Not a very impressive picture though, just kind of a convergence point for a few hallways. What you see on the floor is just plastic, trying to keep the carpet as clean as they can for now. The second picture is one of the engineering labs. Most of the labs in the building have a very similar layout to them, but this one is completely different. This one is located in a steel section of the building, while most of the labs are in the concrete portion of the building. I'm working tomorrow, will try to snap some more, maybe some better ones tomorrow. I'm gonna try and get down to the first floor, one of these days, and snap some pics. The first floor has the bigger lecture halls, and a lot more of the expensive wood panelling. anyway, here's 2 from today.

radiustowardsa.jpg

Bsectionlab.jpg

Couple more from yesterday. The first two are of engineering labs. like I said before, Most of the labs are very similar in shape, size, and general layout. The biggest difference here, from the rest of the building, is that there's no ceiling, all the HVAC, plumbing, electrical, is painted and left exposed. The 3rd pic is one of the larger lecture halls on the first floor. There's 3 or 4 that are this size, and just one that is bigger.

typicallab2.jpg

typicallab1.jpg

lectureroom.jpg

It's terrific that you are giving us a preview of the new buildings' interiors on the VCU Monroe Park Addition campus, satanhanx. Without your contributions, few of us would have any idea of what things look like inside. Thanks, and keep them coming, please.

How's the landscaping coming along?

For anyone who may be in the dark as to where these buildings are located, they are the two new structures on the south side of West Main Street just east of Belvidere on the new campus called VCU Monroe Park Addition. Property lines of the new campus are Main Street on the north, the Downtown Expressway on the south, Belvidere Street on the west and a sort of jagged line (so far) to the east that runs south from Main at about Madison Street, then east on Cary to about Adams then south to the Expressway.

The new World-class VCU Ad Center is in a rejuvenated building on Jefferson Street between Cary and Canal. Brand new parking garages and dorms are west of Jefferson between Cary and the Expressway all the way to Belvidere.

All of the new campus is in what is known to some Richmonders as Monroe Ward.

Here is a link to a story about the Monroe Park master plan that was in the Commonwealth Times

http://media.www.commonwealthtimes.com/med...tmlemailedition

I wonder if the feeding programs will relocate somewhere else.

The story says The Conrad Center, about 2 miles away, has kitchen, bathrooms, laundry facilities and on-site counseling. If providers can be convinced to move their feeding program there it would seem logical the needy would follow.

Does anyone know where the Conrad Center is located?

I don't know who is responsible, but Bryant Park has been transformed from a disaster to a safe beauty. It is directly behind the NY Library between 5th and 6th Avenues and 40th and 42nd Streets. It has become World famous in the fashion industry for big name showings in temporary tented facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Burt, I havn't forgotten about you, and posting more pictures. We;ve just been so busy lately, working 7 days a week, and long hours too, I just havn't had the time to get any of them posted. Things are starting to come together though. I'm heading out of town for christmas, but hopefully things will settle down a bit after I get back. I'll get stuff posted for you as soon as I have the time. Happy holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen a rendering of the addition to the engineering building? Looks like construction has been underway for about a week (chain link and silt fence up around the property, asphalt removal, trailers on site).

Check back a couple of pages to my post on October 12. I have a local live view and a rendering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple of VCU /MCV updates:

Brandcenter is indeed looking sharp.

Concrete columns have started to rise for the new addition to the Engineer Bldg. There is a rendering on site. It appears from the rendering that the facade material will be consistent with the existing structure.

The crane for Medical Science II was disassmbled and removed from site this past weekend. It appears that the major concrete pours are complete. I am not sure if structural steel will be added to enclose the top floor.

Site prep work continues for MCV's School of Dentistry.

Edited by Shakman

Although the window air units make this building quite unattractive, the West Hospital fills in the the eastern part of the skyline quite well. However, I can understand why it needs to be replaced. Better facilities will equate to more advanced R&D, an educated population and more economic benefits for Richmond and the surrounding area. I would hate to see Richmond lose out on bio-tech and bio-medical potentials, especially since these are some the very few indusrties in the U.S. that are thriving.