Watkins Centre

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WHY, indeed? Cinemas are popping up all over the area -- new ones at Southpark; several screens on South Crater Road in Petersburg; replacements nearby for the closed movies at Chesterfield Town Center; Movietime 16 at Boulevard Square and eventually at Jefferson Square downtown.

It's a mystery to me why WhiteOak isn't getting a few.

According to Gregg Gilligan's column in today's inRich, Boscov's will erect a store of 180,00 s/f at Westchester Commons. The Pennsylvania-based retailer is in negotiations with developers Zaremba Group and Metropolitan Partnership, sources say.

Other tenants may be Regal Cinemas, a 126,000 s/f Target and a 68,000 s/f Kohl's in addition to Petco, Office Max, Best Buy and Joanne Fabrics.

Stony Point Fashion Park, Short Pump Town Center, and even Chesterfield Town Center must be breathing hugh sighs of relief over the tenant mix planned at Watkins Center's Westchester Commons, though I suspect certain free-standing retailers in the Midlothian district are seething.

I'm curious as to what happens to the Best Buy, Kohl's, and Target already surrounding Chesterfield Towne Center. JoAnne Fabrics is maybe a mile down the road from Watkins, so I imagine that will be a substantial vacancy in the Village of Midlothian area. Kudos to Kroger for reusing the vacant K-mart store across from Salisbury.

So Boscov's, Kohl's and Target are the result of all the palaver a year or so ago? They were hinting at high end stores not presently in the area; even the Neiman Marcus name was tossed around which must have left SPTC and SPFP a bit jittery.

Isn't Watkins Centre in the Metro's richest zip codes?

WhiteOak's lineup sounds about as impressive to me, except for the lack of cinemas.

And Steven, thanks for your comments which are always welcome and informative.

I don't get how Chesterfield county always has only two malls which is CTC and Southpark Mall while the rest die off. With Henrico has at least 4-5 Malls if you include Willow Lawn Mall which I believe is in Henrico but not sure. I just don't get how with a large Population in Chesterfield County they only have two malls with a far distance from each other. If anyone could explain to me what the reason for that is?

I don't get how Chesterfield county always has only two malls which is CTC and Southpark Mall while the rest die off. With Henrico has at least 4-5 Malls if you include Willow Lawn Mall which I believe is in Henrico but not sure. I just don't get how with a large Population in Chesterfield County they only have two malls with a far distance from each other. If anyone could explain to me what the reason for that is?

So Boscov's, Kohl's and Target are the result of all the palaver a year or so ago? They were hinting at high end stores not presently in the area; even the Neiman Marcus name was tossed around which must have left SPTC and SPFP a bit jittery...And Steven, thanks for your comments which are always welcome and informative.

Archived