Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

2 hours ago, Ric0_0 said:

I'm no expert in the airline industry by any means, but I could definitely see Charlotte getting renovated in the future soon. Now, living out of ATL, I've actually never flown to Charlotte before, so I don't know how strong AA's hold is, but most airlines are reinvesting a lot into their their terminals. Delta is spending upwards  of 12 billion at ATL, SLC, SEA, LGA,etc. United is also spending a lot to help renovate O'Hare and their main hubs as well. 

As for CDG, that would actually be a pretty good flight. I don't think there would be too much competition from that area. The only major thing AA would have to worry about is AirFranceKLM, and Delta since that it a SkyTeam stronghold. It's similar to FRA with United/Lufthansa and LHR with AA and BA.

Explain what you mean by renovated? Are you referring to above and beyond what's already in progress? 

On 8/13/2019 at 6:25 PM, CLT2014 said:

Delta SkyClub!!!

Will all 10 gates be Delta?

Where is this from? I've spoken with someone high up at Delta in the Sky Club selection process and he didn't indicate Charlotte was on the Sky Club expansion list.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Where is this from? I've spoken with someone high up at Delta in the Sky Club selection process and he didn't indicate Charlotte was on the Sky Club expansion list.

The renderings of the new concourse include a Delta Sky Club complete with Logo / Trademarked branding. The architects could have decided to just use their name without asking, but typically they would just use something like "Airline Club" in a rendering, rather than specific brands whose names are trademarked and not participating in the design.

Edited by CLT2014

53 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The renderings of the new concourse include a Delta Sky Club complete with Logo / Trademarked branding. The architects could have decided to just use their name without asking, but typically they would just use something like "Airline Club" in a rendering, rather than specific brands whose names are trademarked and not participating in the design.

Am I the only one who doesn't see these new renderings in this thread?

On 8/14/2019 at 3:57 PM, CLT704 said:

Either way, I still think CLT needs a new INTL concourse; in my head, I think the best approach would be to build a new midfield concourse once the new parallel runway is open (with temporary INTL gate increase through expansion onto C gates) that has access to FIS from all gates- it could be used for domestic or international when necessary. This would be more than a few years away but i think it's the best long term solution. 

The midfield concourse at CLT will be one for the RJs and the expanded D will be the international concourse.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, QClifer said:

Does Delta have enough thru passengers to support a sky club in Charlotte?   I feel like most of their passengers in Charlotte start and stop service here.  I’d rather sit at home then get to the airport early and sit in a sky club 

Yes. Charlotte (1.2m) already has more Delta passengers than NOLA  and Memphis (sad downfall) and similar numbers to JAX,  MKE and PBI. I think they will increase to nearly 2M by the time the new terminal is built. I can see CLT to BOS and RDU and larger flights to MSP or DET from Delta in the future. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Does anyone know how to see/access a list of what Contractors & Engineering Companies have current Contracts with CLT Douglas Airport on their many ongoing expansion projects?

You should be able to contact Public Records for that info. https://charlottenc.gov/PublicRecords/Pages/default.aspx

Connecting traffic isn't a determining factor for the opening of an airline club at a specific city. I am sure Delta (and other airlines) have data which show how many of their club members fly in/out of a specific city, as well as how many passengers who have club access as part of their FFP status/class of service fly in/out of said city as well. 

NOLA likely has a SkyClub simply because the Delta brand is so strong in NOLA and has been serving the community for so long. The Delta brand isn't as strong in CLT, simply because it was always overshadowed by Eastern/Piedmont/US and now AA. 

You would be surprised how many people get to the airport early to use the club and get their free snacks/drinks.

In regards to the pictures being deleted, I wonder who complained, DL or CLT.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

JetBlue has updated its joke of a flight schedule.(Finally lol) Starting 11/5 they will finally RON a plane. Modified time leaves CLT at 0730. Early January it will leave at 0600. 

In summary. NOV schedule has flights departing CLT with the following time: 730am, 1052am, 306pm, 759pm, and 10pm. (Not a fan of the 10pm)

Starting in early JAN the flight schedule has the following: 6am, 1043am, 1222pm, 458pm, and 8pm.

Also to point out, I have found random days that show 6 flights on BOS-CLT. Not sure if thats a error or not. I do predict the route will see 6 daily at some point. Hopefully they can deter DL from starting CLT-BOS which seems inevitable once DL gets more room here.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, JetBlueCLT said:

Also to point out, I have found random days that show 6 flights on BOS-CLT. Not sure if thats a error or not. I do predict the route will see 6 daily at some point. Hopefully they can deter DL from starting CLT-BOS which seems inevitable once DL gets more room here.

I have a different view of this; I hope DL decides to restart this route to possibly get B6 back on the JFK slot, or even FLL. The DL expansion could assist in the Sky Lounge case.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, csweet said:

I have a different view of this; I hope DL decides to restart this route to possibly get B6 back on the JFK slot, or even FLL. The DL expansion could assist in the Sky Lounge case.

Delta already has 6 destinations from CLT and I could see an LA route after the terminal renovation at LAX. Boston absolutely makes sense next. I think based on passenger numbers Charlotte could be a sky club location. Every time I'm in Nashville/NOLA/Jax sky clubs they are packed, they each have similar numbers to Charlotte currently and Charlotte is primed to grow for Delta.

I dont see Delta vamping up their CLT routes very much.  With in the past year or two they have deemed RDU as a focus city and since CLT is right in between RDU and ATL, we could see a route or two added to CLT but I would expect RDU to receive more Delta destinations than CLT. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2019/01/22/delta-air-lines-raleigh-durham-focus-city-now-29-destinations/2643736002/

1 hour ago, NOLA2CLT said:

I dont see Delta vamping up their CLT routes very much.  With in the past year or two they have deemed RDU as a focus city and since CLT is right in between RDU and ATL, we could see a route or two added to CLT but I would expect RDU to receive more Delta destinations than CLT. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2019/01/22/delta-air-lines-raleigh-durham-focus-city-now-29-destinations/2643736002/

BOS and LAX are both Delta hubs  so it might make sense to add CLT as a spoke. Having said that, I agree with you, I don't think it's likely.

BOS makes more sense since it's a short flight with seemingly high demand so there isn't a ton of risk to start that route. However, the O/D is going to be dominated by AA and JetBlue and I'm not sure Delta could offer a schedule with enough frequency to be competitive (AA is 9x daily, B6 is going to 5x daily). Plus BOS doesn't really offer any unique connections that JFK/LGA can't handle. If O/D demand is massive it might be worth it.

I can't see DL starting LAX-CLT though. There isn't a huge amount of O/D between CLT and the west coast and what there is is probably dominated by AA since it is the hub carrier at CLT. And Delta wouldn't be able to rely on connections on the CLT end. Then there's the issue of frequency disparity again (AA is at 7x daily, no way Delta can match that). And that's a long flight to commit a plane to to compete on a hub-hub route with a competitor that is larger and stronger on both ends. Makes way more sense for Delta to send their west coast passengers thru ATL (e: or SLC or MSP) to get to CLT.

Edited by TCLT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, uptownliving said:

Well we have a final design on the airport entrance at Wilkinson and Josh Birmingham Parkway. Going with a big crown motif that will glow blue at night. In addition they will be putting in large CLT markers on Wilkinson and some other spots close to the airport. And also some really nice landscaping to go along with all the new signage. Cost is roughly $8M and should be complete next summer.

Screenshot_20190921-134705.png

Additional images...Screenshot_20190921-134916.thumb.png.515406b42f68e131d5f13376514c853a.png

Screenshot_20190921-134447.png

Looks good.

Do we know when the terminal roads will finally be done?

Or when A will be done?