Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

So given this ( ..and thanks for the physics lesson )  which carrier has been more aggressive towards noise reduction in acquiring these new jet engines?  Or, is it more aligned to the aircraft manufacturer..  Airbus vs Boeing ?  

Everyone but Delta who continues to operate the Greyhounds of the Sky on every route in the world (MDs are so damn loud).

Everyone but Delta who continues to operate the Greyhounds of the Sky on every route in the world (MDs are so damn loud).

AA also flies MD80 series aircraft.  If you fly Allegiant from Concord you'll fly MD80's too.  

The MD80/DC-9 series first flew in the 1960's and those P&W JT8D's make for the loudest takeoffs at the Overlook!

True but the AA MD80s should be gone by the end of 16 I think

End of 2017. 

Talkin about AA, the two Admirals Clubs here in CLT should start to be refurbished towards the end of next year. The larger C/D lounge should get showers when its refurbished; the B lounge seems so pointless and small to be honest. Also there may be another Admirals Club in the D/E food court or somewhere else on E. 

Personally, I would like to see an American Express Centurion here, but where could it go? IRC, the USO lounge only takes up half of what was the BA lounge, so perhaps we could have a smaller Centurion lounge here, branded as Amex Centurion Studio, like they do in Seattle. 

End of 2017. 

Talkin about AA, the two Admirals Clubs here in CLT should start to be refurbished towards the end of next year. The larger C/D lounge should get showers when its refurbished; the B lounge seems so pointless and small to be honest. Also there may be another Admirals Club in the D/E food court or somewhere else on E. 

Personally, I would like to see an American Express Centurion here, but where could it go? IRC, the USO lounge only takes up half of what was the BA lounge, so perhaps we could have a smaller Centurion lounge here, branded as Amex Centurion Studio, like they do in Seattle. 

I don't know if there's truth to this rumor or not, but I heard Concourses B and E are getting new clubs. They will be on a new (club only) third level spanning B and a new (club only) second level on E. 

• Like 2

I don't know if there's truth to this rumor or not, but I heard Concourses B and E are getting new clubs. They will be on a new (club only) third level spanning B and a new (club only) second level on E. 

Great news if true.  CLT definitely needs an Admirals Club on E, and any redesign or expansion of B (there have been so many options - widening, expansion, both - I've lost track) would likely create room for a larger club there.  And I'm hopeful some of the third-floor shell office space built in the new A/B and D/E connectors can and will be used for a club(s) too.  Those areas, or existing office space on the third floor in the central part of the terminal if those offices are move to other areas in the airport or to the old terminal where I believe Brent Cagle still has his office, would be perfect locations for a Centurion Lounge or other independent contract lounge.  I have no inside knowledge, but I imagine there will be lounge space created in the new A-North concourse as well.

Piedmont767, has it been confirmed that the C/D Club is getting showers in the upcoming renovation?

• Like 1

I've heard about a completely new club on E or in the D/E a food court, as I mentioned. But a completely new level on B, with it just being a club? I hadn't heard that, but as a CSD I don't know a lot about airport operations, mainly onboard and destination stuff. It would be brilliant if it's true. Where did you get that rumour Miesian Corners? Did they mention anything else? 

cltcane, it's not set in stone. We should hear more about the C/D club refurb soon. But the likely-hood is quite high. 

As for A-North, I expect that Delta will open a small Sky Club, as they are the second largest operator at CLT and they do tend to open Sky Clubs at airports where they don't have a massive operation.

IMO, in a few years we will see the following lounges at CLT: 

-AA Admirals Club on B (Whether it's new or refurbished) 

-AA Admirals Club on C/D connector (Refurbished with showers) 

-AA Admirals Club on E or D/E 

-Delta Sky Club on A-North 

And a stretch but possible: 

-Amex Centurion Lounge or Studio 

I have never really understood why there was never a Crown Room Club or Sky Club in CLT, especially considering how large DL is here. I wonder how large their frequent flyer base is.

It seems that a lot of people I know consistently fly DL through ATL when traveling-regardless of the location of their final destination. A friend of mine recently flew CLT-ATL-DEN and another flew CLT-ATL-SAN. Both of them said that there were no non-stop flights to their final destinations and that CLT was too small of an airport. Do most people really not know how large our airport is? Another one of my co-workers said that the only nonstop flights from NC to Europe are from RDU.

Anyway, when E was designed, it was designed with space for a club room that I believe is now a crew room or something of that sort.

It seems that a lot of people I know consistently fly DL through ATL when traveling-regardless of the location of their final destination. A friend of mine recently flew CLT-ATL-DEN and another flew CLT-ATL-SAN. Both of them said that there were no non-stop flights to their final destinations and that CLT was too small of an airport. Do most people really not know how large our airport is? Another one of my co-workers said that the only nonstop flights from NC to Europe are from RDU.

That actually makes me sad. :(  

But your post further shows that it makes sense to open a Sky Club, when Delta gets more room at CLT. 

A friend of mine recently flew CLT-ATL-DEN and another flew CLT-ATL-SAN. Both of them said that there were no non-stop flights to their final destinations and that CLT was too small of an airport. Do most people really not know how large our airport is? Another one of my co-workers said that the only nonstop flights from NC to Europe are from RDU. 

Your friends may be banking frequent flyer miles and don't want to admit to flying out of their way just for this purpose.

But your co-worker is a sad ignoramus.

Or maybe it's just a Charlotte v Raleigh thing.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

I have never really understood why there was never a Crown Room Club or Sky Club in CLT, especially considering how large DL is here. I wonder how large their frequent flyer base is.

Anyway, when E was designed, it was designed with space for a club room that I believe is now a crew room or something of that sort.

Your friends may be banking frequent flyer miles and don't want to admit to flying out of their way just for this purpose.

But your co-worker is a sad ignoramus.

Or maybe it's just a Charlotte v Raleigh thing.

I hope LKN704 informed their co-worker that we have service to 8 European destinations, including: 

-Barcelona 

-Madrid

-Dublin 

-London

-Paris 

-Rome

-Frankfurt 

-Munich 

Busiest US airports by total passenger boardings  (2014)

8-CLT   21,642,277                      38-RDU   4,673,869

45 busiest US airports by total passenger traffic (2014)

8-CLT   44,279,5048                     38- RDU   9,463,598

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

Busiest US airports by total passenger boardings  (2014)

8-CLT   21,642,277                      38-RDU   4,673,869

45 busiest US airports by total passenger traffic (2014)

8-CLT   44,279,5048                     38- RDU   9,463,598

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States

Of course Charlotte, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. eclipse other non-hub cities. That's an apples to oranges comparison to RDU and pretty meaningless other than using a statistic to look superior to RDU

According to OAG, all of the top-five megahubs are in the United States: No. 1 being Hartsfield-Jackson; No. 2 is Chicago O'Hare International Airport; No. 3 is Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport; CLT land at No. 4; and No. 5 is George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. While the U.S. is where 22 of the 50 biggest airline megahubs are situated, China, a rising force in the aviation industry, had the next-largest number of megahubs with three.

I guess CLT coming in number 4, makes it a small airport (Ha)

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

The person who I mentioned that too does not really travel a lot and has flown maybe 12 times in her life. The other friends who fly via ATL didn't know you could programs existed in which you can earn miles so I highly doubt that was the case.

I guess my friends don't get out as much as I do...

The person who I mentioned that too does not really travel a lot and has flown maybe 12 times in her life. The other friends who fly via ATL didn't know you could programs existed in which you can earn miles so I highly doubt that was the case.

I guess my friends don't get out as much as I do...

I'm sure they're really very nice people.

• Like 3

Of course Charlotte, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. eclipse other non-hub cities. That's an apples to oranges comparison to RDU and pretty meaningless other than using a statistic to look superior to RDU

Well, isn't that the point? Would you rather have CLT or RDU?

In general, a bigger airport is always superior to a smaller airport because it offers more flights, more frequently, to more destinations.

A hub airport is even better. You'll never, ever hear me complain about CLT's fares. I'm flying to SFO in December and my roundtrip is $650. If that's the price I have to pay to have a hub airport, I'll happily pay it.

Well, isn't that the point? Would you rather have CLT or RDU?

In general, a bigger airport is always superior to a smaller airport because it offers more flights, more frequently, to more destinations.

A hub airport is even better. You'll never, ever hear me complain about CLT's fares. I'm flying to SFO in December and my roundtrip is $650. If that's the price I have to pay to have a hub airport, I'll happily pay it.

Of course anyone rather be in Charlotte's position. But the intent of the conversation seems to be a little anti Raleigh.