What is Florida like as a place to live?

Blue

imo, Miami doesn't feel like an "American" city at all. & that's not a bad thing.

It feels like a fusion of American & Latin American culture in a sub-tropical setting. Definately the polar opposite of say, Chicago, which is considered the premiere all-american city.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will definitely admit that when I am in Miami, I do not "feel" like I'm in a traditional American city. When most people around you don't speak English its definitely not a traditional city in our country. I'm not saying its a bad thing, its just how it is. Even NYC, with all its multi-culturalism, is more American in my opinion (I'd go as far to say that it feels more American in Chinatown than at Bayside).

Further, and I know I'm saying this at the risk of sounding really unPC, but I think the Southern US, Miami, LA/San Diego, and the border cities where there are a lot of illegal citizens is the reason for this mainly because when people immigrated to the US in the past, to NY for instance, they came through Ellis Island and were integrated into society better, whereas it seems today that in cities with high levels of illegal immigrants they actually create their own sub-societies.

I have to admit, I do prefer the "melting pot" to the "tossed salad"...

Unfortunately, LA is more and more like a Mexican city.  They are about to elect a Mexican-American mayor too.  Vast swathes of the city are populated by Mexicans and people of Mexican descent will soon be a majority.  I would say that when a city ceases to reflect the demographics of the rest of the country you can say it is not exactly an "American" city anymore.  I dont know why this makes you upset.  Many people in New Orleans are happy to say that their city is not American, but French.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not upset in the least. And I do not deny that immigration is an issue. Finally, I know of no New Orleans residents who would deny that their city is an American city.

Further, and I know I'm saying this at the risk of sounding really unPC, but I think the Southern US, Miami, LA/San Diego, and the border cities where there are a lot of illegal citizens is the reason for this mainly because when people immigrated to the US in the past, to NY for instance, they came through Ellis Island and were integrated into society better, whereas it seems today that in cities with high levels of illegal immigrants they actually create their own sub-societies.

I have to admit, I do prefer the "melting pot" to the "tossed salad"...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Assimilation" or "integration" takes several generations to accomplish. A reason it seems that Ellis Island immigrants and their descendants have "integrated" can be attributed to time span (this happened more than a century ago). But they were just as hated, scorned, feared, reviled by some as the immigrants of today.

Even then, there is no such thing as total assimilation or integration. The fact of the matter is that each new immigrant group adds something new to the pot or salad bowl, changing its amalgamation or composition. It's okay for culture and our way of thinking to evolve -- I find that to be a great American attribute. Among other things, think of all the different types of foods that different cultures have introduced to us, some of which have become so mainstreamed we call them distinctly our own. Think of the influences that 19th century Irish immigrants had on Boston. Or of Scandinavians on parts of the Midwest (which even influences the accents and pronunciation of vowels of their descendents today).

I think Dale's characterization of Miami's "Americanness" is fitting. New York's immigration in the 19th century helped shape what America has become today, demographically, socially, culturally, economically. In this century, the torch has been passed on to new cities.

Well,

I have never been to california, so I don't know how to compare us to them... don't know how friendly/unfriendly people are there... but if I were comparing Floridians to Tennesseans I would say we are not very friendly.. .but in comparisson to Northerners (Midwest and Northeast) I would say that people are very friendly in Fort Lauderdale... much more so than in Miami... And people will not look down on you. You could get a housing (apt) from 200-400 in a GREAT area in Fort Lauderdale (close to beaches). More shady areas in the city of Fort Lauderdale would allow you to get a house around 250-350 and in the nicer areas a home would start around 650,000. As for the Cubans... yes they are sort of wierd... not very friendly to "gringos"... but if you stay away from Miami, you won't have that problem as much.....

Paula

ummm...

a little of both.

they aren't all bad. in fact most of them are quite normal and nice. the problem for most people, in my estimation at least, is that this really is their (the cubans) city. so a "white american" coming into the city automatically feels like an outsider, thus re-enforcing any stereotype they might already have.

that being said, i've been ignored and looked down upon by plenty of cubans over the years.

it's not just them though. the general air down here is very negative and stand-offish for everybody; white, black, cuban, colombian, etc. it's sad when you go to new york and feel all warm and fuzzy because people are being nice to you. NYC is 10 times better than miami in terms of friendliness of people. i haven't really been able to put my finger on why, but I keep searching. I do my best to be nice and make up for it, but i don't think it's helping.

Not that I don't like the city but Miamians in general are RUDE. I've been there on many different occassion so I think I can justify making such a statement. As far as hospitality goes it doesn't compare to Jacksonville. I mean the rude people won't stop me from visiting.

^ Good grief ! I didn't realize it was that bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that I don't like the city but Miamians in general are RUDE.  I've been there on many different occassion so I think I can justify making such a statement.  As far as hospitality goes it doesn't compare to Jacksonville.  I mean the rude people won't stop me from visiting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll give it a different spin. I grew up in Jax, moved to Tallahassee for school moved to Miami after school and moved to Jax for another job. Tally is more hospitable than the other two with Jax being slightly more hospitable than Miami. However, I didn't feel any less welcomed in any of those cities. Living in the Phoenix metro area I now believe that the Phoenix area is more hospitable than any of the cities I mentioned above. The people here welcome and greet you like I've never been greeted before. They actually look you in your face and say hello to you when you're in the grocery store or walking down the street. With a smile to top it off. Something that I didn't experience as often, AS OFTEN is the key phrase here, as I do out here when I lived in the three Florida cities. However, I have never seen so many people wearing cowboy hats as much as I've seen them worn here in Phoenix. :D

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems to me that north/central Florida is known for being friendler, but South Florida would be better for allergies. What really concerns me is two things... first, it seems that many find South Floridans to be somewhat unfriendly.. and as a single person moving in, that can make it hard to meet people, without schools, kids, etc., as a way to meet people. The second concern is the cost -- it seems that the cost of housing isn't much better than SoCal. For example.. what would a 1200-1400 square foot condo, new construction preferably, cost, not only in South Florida, but Tampa or Orlando?

Jacksonville seems like a friendly city and a nice place, but I really think allergies would be prohibitive up there -- it sounds a lot like Atlanta terrain-wise, and Atlanta seems to be an allergy nightmare.

Thanks!

Jacksonville seems like a friendly city and a nice place, but I really think allergies would be prohibitive up there -- it sounds a lot like Atlanta terrain-wise, and Atlanta seems to be an allergy nightmare.

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having visited family members in Atlanta numerous times and having lived in Jacksonville I can for certain tell you that the terrain of Jacksonville is the same as the other Florida cities, which is to say nothing like Atlanta. Tallahassee has terrain that is somewhat like Atlanta. Atlanta has hills as far as the eyes can see. Jacksonville is flat with no hills or mountains to see.

As far as allergies are concerned, having lived in Miami and Jacksonville I can tell you that I suffered from allegies in both places as well as Tallahassee. The pollen count in the spring and summer are essentially the same. Now that I'm living in Phoenix/Chandler my allergies haven't been as bad as they were in Florida and the pollen in nil.

I can say that most of the Florida I have experienced would be a good place to live. Living in Tallahassee is very nice. For weather we experience the 4 seasons which is rewarding, and punishing at times. The people here are some of the funniest, kindest, genuine people I could ever know. Tallahassee is mid-sized community and growth is truly active here right now. Shopping is good, food is good, crime is low, streets are clean, we have an IMAX which is always nice. Fishing is great, parks are the nations best (if you don't believe me look it up). Schools are top notch.... as far as College life.... thats another story all together.

Thanks again everyone! I realized when I said Jacksonville's terrain was like Atlanta... I meant to say vegetation -- pine trees, etc. I realize Jacksonville is very flat, while Atlanta is quite opposite from that!

There's still a lure about Florida for me... maybe it's the palm trees and the water (which we have here, but there it's warm enough to swim in), but Florida still sounds like a fun place to live. I'm just trying to figure out if it makes sense as well -- but definitely seems like it would be fun!

Thanks again everyone! I realized when I said Jacksonville's terrain was like Atlanta... I meant to say vegetation -- pine trees, etc. I realize Jacksonville is very flat, while Atlanta is quite opposite from that!

There's still a lure about Florida for me... maybe it's the palm trees and the water (which we have here, but there it's warm enough to swim in), but Florida still sounds like a fun place to live. I'm just trying to figure out if it makes sense as well -- but definitely seems like it would be fun!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I see what you meant. Well, all of Florida has plenty of pine trees and the vegetation really is similar no matter what part of the state you enter. Are there less trees in South Florida, sure to an extent, but they still there in numbers. I still miss the pine trees and other vegetation that is in Florida when I look around Phoenix and basically see no trees, all desert and more strip mall on corners than you could imagine.

Isn't Cali a fun place to live? It always looks fun from a distance. The one advanatge in Florida is the cost of living. I wouldn't mind living in SoCal if the cost of living and taxes weren't soooooo high! But you're right, Florida is a lot of fun. It's not just limited to one city from my experience.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to open this topic once again.. but another quick question...

The tax situation seems too good to be true in Florida, with no income tax. Is there something I'm missing... some other tax (besides sales tax) that exists or is unusually high? How high are property taxes?

^ To answer some of your questions about Orlando: The job market is slowly diversifying away from tourism. There are a lot of high tech opportunities (can't be too specific on what types, though) and there are also a lot of PR/Marketing & Finance/Administration opportunities as well. These jobs are mostly found in downtown Orlando and the northern suburbs of Maitland, Altamonte Springs, and Longwood. Home prices are rising, but still within the national average. The closer you get to downtown orlando, though, the higher the prices. Condo's in the downtown highrises range from $100K-$500K+. The farther out in the the suburbs you get, the cheaper (and oftentimes bigger) the home. As also stated, Orlando is undergoing a new boom, so the job market will only get more diversified and the housing market will become a little bit more expensive.

One more thing, Orlando traffic is definitely better than traffic in LA/So Cal ANY DAY. I've been to California many times and everytime I get back into Orlando, I litterally kiss the ground. There are a lot of Toll roads here, but the prices are reasonable.

Hope this information helps!

^ Also forgot...There is no state income tax in Florida. Local communities have impact fees associated to new home construction, so those might be high depending upon where you go. Also, we pay high gax taxes.

I HAVE to speak in defense of Miami, as a few folks decided to bash the place. I love Miami. Rude people are in any major metro are you go to, all over the US. Miami is an American city, after all, it's on US soil isn't it? To single out one group of people looking down upon another is simply rediculous. It happens everywhere you go. Also, I'm a white guy, and when I goto Miami, I still feel like I'm in Florida and in the US. Miami has great culture, nightlife, beaches, and sights to see. Contrary to what some close-minded people think, diversity is great and it's evident upon Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. World-City status comes with World-City thinking...

Archived