What is Florida like as a place to live?

Blue

I've been in Broward county since July 2005. I am probably leaving after the school year. I miss the culture of the northeast. I think many people come here for the resort atmosphere as opposed to intellectual stimulation. I feel like I've been on a cruise ship for too long. Weatherwise, August was OK in August, but it got old by November. Also, the flat terrain doesn't help the landscape. My 2 cents.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the best way to describe it is that in Tampa and Orlando there is always something to do but in Jacksonville me and all the other students were trying to figure out whats there to do since it didnt seem like much was out there. Basically every day the kids went to the beach since thats all there really is I did not since thats not my thing. Jacksonville has that real small town feel atleast thats what I think. Another reason why I like Tampa and Orlando is because there are more then one Universities and Colleges in the area so there are tons of places where I can perhaps meet a diverse group of people my own age and hang out. At the UNF the majority of them were from Jacksonville and surfed it wasnt very diverse at all.

Will you please go over to the Orlando subforum and castigate some of my fellow Orlandoans who seem to think Orlando's Possum Holler ?

• 2 weeks later...

Im from orlando and go to school in Tampa, and I agree that it seems there is alot more to do in these two cities the Jax. Guys, I realize you have pride for your hometown and thats great, but this guy has an opinion that seems to be the same as the majority of the forum. Cut him some slack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is your simple guide, in honor of the 1040 instructions:

A --- If you OWN your residence in SoCal, stay

OR

B --- If you RENT your residence in SoCal, leave. Florida sounds nice.

I moved from San Diego to Florida (job sent me). I owned a house, made a killing, and scarcely a day passes when I don't miss SoCal. But I live quite well here. If you are used to the California "fruits and nuts" people, it will probably take you a while to get used to the collection of middle-class transplants from Missouri, Crackers, and Carribean/South American immigrants that is Florida (hard to find good Mexican food here). Surfing here sucks also.

If you like college football and golf, however, it is quite nice. You can swim in the ocean without a wetsuit. Nightlife and the social scence is radically different, with Florida seemingly dominated by chain restaurants and an occasional corwded beach bar. Miami is a different planet, so you must discover that yourself.

It's warm, although the cold days here are MUCH colder than any day in SoCal. My comparison? If you moved the San Bernardino Valley to the beach, you would have Florida. That is about the demogrpahic here. I hope you enjoy!

Archived