What is Florida like as a place to live?

Blue

this topic has turned something hilarious...i hate the friggin cockroaches...i'm from NC and we had them occasionally, but you really do have to spray monthly for them little b$tches...and they REFUSE to die no matter how many times you hit them it seems...i use a shoe sometimes...sometimes a rolled up magazine...they are smart and "play dead" for a few minutes before getting up and crawling away.

i'll never forget my first time seeing one of the BIG ones...it was in these old apartments here in jax...i woke up about 1:00am to get somethign to drink...turned on the kitchen light. BAM! there he is...frozen by my light....so i grab something hard and hit him once...he crawls fast...he's hurt, but still determined to get away. i yell b/c he's headed toward my feet...i hit him again, harder. his guts spill out the rear, left quarterpanel....BUT HE KEEPS CRAWLING...he crawls down into the floor A/C vent...his guts trailing him all the time...i try to hit him again, but it is too late...his guts are everywhere and i have to clean it all up now. gross. i swear, he must've been 7-8 inches long and 2-3 inches wide. OK, so that part is exageration :) the rest is pure T though.

one last note about these roaches...i think it is the "high society" that likes to call them "palmetto bugs"...a roach is a roach is a roach.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Moving around town? Like outside? Maybe near a garbage bin but not just strolling down the sidewalk. "

LOL...strolling down the sidewalk...just trying to get along in society like the rest of us. Actually I do see them on the sidewalk outside my apartment at night sometimes. You are not really going to see them walking around in shopping centers or anything. I can tell you, I absolutely HATE roaches, but it isn't such a massive problem. Basically, you have to get your house maintenanced by some once a year pest control service. After you do that, you will not see them again generally speaking.

Also, if you absolutely have to kill one yourself, your best weapons are either Raid, a fly swatter, or your shoe. Raid, or some other pest spray, is the best option since it will kill them within seconds literally. If you don't have any, then you will need to grab a fly swatter and keep hitting it repeatedly until it is finally crippled enough that you can smash it. The other choice is using your shoe. Many newbies step on roaches and then lift their foot up only to find that the roach was pretending and then runs away. I suggest the step and twist techinique. You step on the roach, then you twist your foot back and forth instead of just immediately lifting it up. It usually works best if you stand on one leg so that all your weight is used for a maximum advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, there's probably no safer place to be than in Florida if you get bitten by a venomous snake... The world's largest repository of antivenin is maintained in this state, at the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Antivenin Bank. There hasn't been a single snake-related fatality in Florida since the bank was opened in 1997.

i know three people who have been bitten by deadly snakes in tallahassee and all three recovered fine (except one of the guys just seems more stupid... but he got bit by a rattler he caught, so maybe we just have something to blame). One of the guys, my uncle, went five hours before he got to the ER... Wild! Spiders can kill too, black widows under ever rock!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you are not bilingual South Florida is not the place for you. It will be tough to find a good job. Its a little easier in broward but slowly its getting tougher. In certain parts of miami you will see gators in canals and what not. Also the hurricanes hit SoFla more then any other part of Florida. People keep to themselves and arent really friendly to people who do not speak spanish or creole. There is alot of poverty in SoFla places like Overtown,Carol City, Hialeah, Lil Havanah, Lil Hati just to name a few. Its a very boring place that has been overly hyped. Homes/Condos/Apartments are insanely expensive.

Jacksonville is MUCH cheaper then SoFla but also boring. They have a part called FivePoints that is pretty cool if you are artsy. Jacksonville seems the type of place for the surfer types.

Personally I think Tampa and Orlando is where its at in Florida. Not so hard to get a job since people speak english and tons of jobs because of the tourism. People are very friendly and there is tons of stuff to do. Im not sure about the housing prices but im sure they are fairly reasonable.

Just thought I would add my two cents even though its an old topic.

Sorry to open this topic once again.. but another quick question...

The tax situation seems too good to be true in Florida, with no income tax. Is there something I'm missing... some other tax (besides sales tax) that exists or is unusually high? How high are property taxes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They make up some with property taxes as all states without income taxes do, but it's far lower than Texas. THere's also a homestead exemption that gives you the first $25k tax-free.

Tourists pay a lot of sales tax and other taxes which brings down the tax burden on everyone else.

Jacksonville is MUCH cheaper then SoFla but also boring. They have a part called FivePoints that is pretty cool if you are artsy. Jacksonville seems the type of place for the surfer types.

linea77: I just got back from the Jags game (we won 23-14) and it wasnt too boring there. Of course we dont have theme parks, but there are plenty of adult things to do here. And I am not a surfer. B)

I went there for summer school at UNF so I was only there for like 6 weeks. My impression of it while I was there was it was boring and there nothing but the surfer californian o.c with a tan types. The locals even told me there was nothing to do just a few clubs and a beach thats about it.

People have diffrent opinions so if you like it thats fine but I hated it and will never go back just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Exactly right, Viper. I would agree Jacksonville doesnt have a club scene like Miami Beach or theme parks like Orlando, but I dont patronize those type places anyway so it doesnt matter to me. When I have kids, I suppose we will visit Disney occasionally, but I dont need that in the town in which I live. Everyone has their own needs and priorities though.

this topic has turned something hilarious...i hate the friggin cockroaches...i'm from NC and we had them occasionally, but you really do have to spray monthly for them little b$tches...and they REFUSE to die no matter how many times you hit them it seems...i use a shoe sometimes...sometimes a rolled up magazine...they are smart and "play dead" for a few minutes before getting up and crawling away.

i'll never forget my first time seeing one of the BIG ones...it was in these old apartments here in jax...i woke up about 1:00am to get somethign to drink...turned on the kitchen light.  BAM! there he is...frozen by my light....so i grab something hard and hit him once...he crawls fast...he's hurt, but still determined to get away.  i yell b/c he's headed toward my feet...i hit him again, harder.  his guts spill out the rear, left quarterpanel....BUT HE KEEPS CRAWLING...he crawls down into the floor A/C vent...his guts trailing him all the time...i try to hit him again, but it is too late...his guts are everywhere and i have to clean it all up now.  gross.  i swear, he must've been 7-8 inches long and 2-3 inches wide.  OK, so that part is exageration :)    the rest is pure T though.

one last note about these roaches...i think it is the "high society" that likes to call them "palmetto bugs"...a roach is a roach is a roach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sweaar you should be a writer JI. :lol: I was right there with you while you were killing the roach. I hate the things myself.

A2

I went there for summer school at UNF so I was only there for like 6 weeks. My impression of it while I was there was it was boring and there nothing but the surfer californian o.c with a tan types. The locals even told me there was nothing to do just a few clubs and a beach thats about it.

People have diffrent opinions so if you like it thats fine but I hated it and will never go back just my 2 cents.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you saw O.C., are you referring to the television show The O.C.? Are you from Cali, specifically the O.C.? I'm curious b/c you seem to know "alot" about Californian, O.C. sufer types with tans.

Geeeeez its just my personal opinion not everybody can like every city in the United States. I dont like Jacksonville thats me not you if you like it fine dont care doesnt effect me either way. I just wanted to through my 2 cents in and tell my experience while I was there not the end of the world. Its not the theme parks or clubs why I like tampa and orlando just something about it I guess that makes it my favorite two cities can't explain it. No I dont know jack about california but I have seen the promos and those were the type of people I saw. Why is it that it seems like people are getting offended. I never said "this is what jacksonville is like stay far away" I said this is my 2 cents.

Sorry for giving my opinion terrible mistake on my part :(:cry:

Geeeeez its just my personal opinion not everybody can like every city in the United States. I dont like Jacksonville thats me not you if you like it fine dont care doesnt effect me either way. I just wanted to through my 2 cents in and tell my experience while I was there not the end of the world.  Its not the theme parks or clubs why I like tampa and orlando just something about it I guess that makes it my favorite two cities can't explain it. No I dont know jack about california but I have seen the promos and those were the type of people I saw.  Why is it that it seems like people are getting offended. I never said "this is what jacksonville is like stay far away" I said this is my 2 cents.

Sorry for giving my opinion terrible mistake on my part :(  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't bashing your opin. I was just curious. It's all to the good.

Geeeeez its just my personal opinion not everybody can like every city in the United States. I dont like Jacksonville thats me not you if you like it fine dont care doesnt effect me either way. I just wanted to through my 2 cents in and tell my experience while I was there not the end of the world.  Its not the theme parks or clubs why I like tampa and orlando just something about it I guess that makes it my favorite two cities can't explain it. No I dont know jack about california but I have seen the promos and those were the type of people I saw.  Why is it that it seems like people are getting offended. I never said "this is what jacksonville is like stay far away" I said this is my 2 cents.

Sorry for giving my opinion terrible mistake on my part :(  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not angry or offended, simply wondering what made Orlando and Tampa fun and not Jacksonville?

I guess the best way to describe it is that in Tampa and Orlando there is always something to do but in Jacksonville me and all the other students were trying to figure out whats there to do since it didnt seem like much was out there. Basically every day the kids went to the beach since thats all there really is I did not since thats not my thing. Jacksonville has that real small town feel atleast thats what I think. Another reason why I like Tampa and Orlando is because there are more then one Universities and Colleges in the area so there are tons of places where I can perhaps meet a diverse group of people my own age and hang out. At the UNF the majority of them were from Jacksonville and surfed it wasnt very diverse at all.

Archived