THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

I've seen it done in some construction projects in the Northeast. Not sure but it may be because it is steel construction and would need to build around it.

I was thinking the same thing re: steel construction, but there's a reinforced concrete column over on the other side, so it looks like it may be all poured concrete.

......I live a couple blocks away.....

I've always felt that I'd like to live in that area myself. Especially to the west of Orange, back there off of Dade Avenue.

I don't know why, it's not especially pretty & many of those old homes next to I-4 are probably going to be demolished someday for the widening, but everytime I drive thru there I think that it would be kinda neat to have one of those little places.

My truck broke down at the corner of Dade & Smith on the Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend & I had to call a tow truck.

• 4 weeks later...

First Methodist has pictures on its facebook page of the demolition. There is also an interesting video on youtube. But you need to remeber the church is not being torn down. The PAC is going on the south side of South Street. The Church is building a bigger multi use building on the Jackson Street Block.

9928_163649510557_75208680557_3631306_6237277_n.jpg

9928_163649505557_75208680557_3631305_5775944_n.jpg

4866_1156651645811_1513324800_379603_6725335_n.jpg

4866_1156651685812_1513324800_379604_4450035_n.jpg

4866_1156651725813_1513324800_379605_284401_n.jpg

Rendering of the new Building

Architectural%20Rendering.jpg

Edited by RedStar25

Lets hold judgement till it is built. The plans submitted to the city have great promise, but could go either way.

Still it looks a lot better than the building 1st Pres built on Rosalind.

I feel like so much that is built here is described as, could be worse or ok for fill. When will this city step it up and have something constructed that is truly great? Here is a perfect opportunity for a very wealthy organization to build something remarkable. Instead they design something better than a horrid building around the corner.

Lets hold judgement till it is built. The plans submitted to the city have great promise, but could go either way.

Still it looks a lot better than the building 1st Pres built on Rosalind.

I actually disagree with that -- the First Presbyterian addition may not be groundbreaking but it is a nice, tradition brick structure that will date well.

I actually disagree with that -- the First Presbyterian addition may not be groundbreaking but it is a nice, tradition brick structure that will date well.

so it evens out- I like FUMCO's sanctuary, chapel and steeple sooooo much better than either First Pres' or Downtown Baptist's, but then I'm partial since I go to FUMCO.

I feel like so much that is built here is described as, could be worse or ok for fill. When will this city step it up and have something constructed that is truly great? Here is a perfect opportunity for a very wealthy organization to build something remarkable. Instead they design something better than a horrid building around the corner.

Actually the city had First Methodist water down the origional proposal.

I think the 1st Pres building on Rosalind is functional, but the proportions are a little off. Looking at the Sanctuary from Church Street, the new building looks bulky and non-welcoming. I am very glad 1st Pres didn't build a new sanctuary. I really like the way it looks inside.

I cant wait to see the Cathedral after its renovation. It was sooooo drab after the Vatican II renovations.

I think the two real gems of Church Architecture in Orlando are First Methodist and The Cathedral of Saint Luke.

It also has an impressive name. "Queen of the Universe" That's 100s of billions of galaxies, many having 100s of billions of stars, and many of those having 1 or more planets. Forget fortune 500!!!! Talk about your far-flung enterprise.

Haha, I remember an aunt who had been visiting town thinking (with a name like that) that it was some sort of Catholic theme park. Little did she know we already had Holy Land.