THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

In the above pictures there appears to be a building under construction with tower cranes over the horizon facing towards uptown. There just to right of the courthouse and off in the distance. Does anyone know what project this is?

That's the Florida Hospital expansion.

For a 2 million residents metro and 65 mill visitors per year town, the downtown core should be a lot more larger. If we have the lightrail that go from downtown to Idrive a few years ago, the boom will be a lot more larger.

We definetly need a way to link the convention center to downtown through accesible mass transit.

But keep in mind that what is defined as Orlando is what most other cities would consider part of their metro area. In Orlando's case, though, much of what would be other towns and cities are physically part of Orlando.

Cheer up. At least you are growing!

Orlando has got more going for it then alot of large mid sized cities. Orlando is becoming a major hub for medical, technological, educational advancement. Orange county alone has grown by over 300,000 people in the last 17 years. That's a huge growth spurt. Orlando proper could have a much larger population if the county were considered a part of the city like Nashville, Charlotte and so forth. Orlando city limits are quite small when compared to alot of other places. There's nothing but good going for Orlando. While people aren't wanting to move to cities like Miami, Chicago, LA, SF anymore; cities like Tampa and Orlando are thriving. Orlando in my oppinion couldn't be doing any better. Optimsm all the way.

Orlando has got more going for it then alot of large mid sized cities. Orlando is becoming a major hub for medical, technological, educational advancement. Orange county alone has grown by over 300,000 people in the last 17 years. That's a huge growth spurt. Orlando proper could have a much larger population if the county were considered a part of the city like Nashville, Charlotte and so forth. Orlando city limits are quite small when compared to alot of other places. There's nothing but good going for Orlando. While people aren't wanting to move to cities like Miami, Chicago, LA, SF anymore; cities like Tampa and Orlando are thriving. Orlando in my oppinion couldn't be doing any better. Optimsm all the way.

I wouldn't say people don't want to live in those cities anymore. I've often thought about moving to Miami or Los Angeles. I miss the big city experience you get in those towns. I'm hoping Orlando becomes more of a big city sooner rather than later.

For a 2 million residents metro and 65 mill visitors per year town, the downtown core should be a lot more larger. If we have the lightrail that go from downtown to Idrive a few years ago, the boom will be a lot more larger.

I agree.

I think the problem is and always has been the fact that the city proper wasn't that big. Look around the US. Every city whose city population is like over 300k has a sizeable downtown. Miami. Atlanta. Jax. Louisville. New Orleans. etc...

I've noticed this trend. metro pop. isn't as indicative of a big downtown as the city proper's population; it's a tale-tell sign.

the City needs a larger presence business-wise, etc, or it will always be this way.

That being said, downtown Orlando does have a lot of office space for it's size.

Edited by JRS1

People are still moving to Los Angeles, South Florida and San Francisco even if the percentage rates are slower than Tampa and Orlando.

but that's a bit deceiving...the population number is debatable depending on what 'town' you're looking at. I believe the CITY of Orlando boasts only about 200K-250K and Orange Co. is just over a million total. Of those 65 million visitors how many actually get to downtown?

I went to a meeting several years ago talking about the condo boom downtown. At that time, 2005?, DT had 9,000 residents (DT being defined as the CRA = roughly SR 50, Summerlin, 408, and I-4) and 55,000 jobs. Another 7500 residential units were coming online (and we're finally seeing them now). It's a pretty amazing transformation when you consider the competing 'downtowns'...Winter Park, Altamonte, Maitland, Heathrow, Lake Mary, I-Drive...

From the air, all the high rises look pretty good, but I'm disappointed in the ground level hardscape of the new buildings. The plaza in particular. Now that there's some color, it looks better, but there's way too much concrete and the poor washingtonian palms are placed underneath the eaves of the building...they're already touching the structure. The streets still aren't that inviting. I understand there are plans to make Orange two-way, but I don't think that's going to really stop the canyoning effect we're going to be left with once the high rises are in place.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the "canyon" effect. It makes for good pictures. Plus, everything on the street level will come together once all the downtown condos are occupied and all the shops and restaurants are open.

yeah, but if the streetscape and plazas aren't all that inviting it won't be all that nice I'm thinking. Crappy design is crappy design. It's not pedestrian friendly at all. Functionally pedestrian...but not friendly/inviting/etc. just my opinion. I just got back from a week in Philly and that's one walkable city. many of the structures are mid rise and it's still very dense with a lot of residences. I ddin't feel very hemmed in...wide sidewalks, good connections, very accessible. Good tree canopy too. And streets that are, in some cases, only about 8' wide. that's what I'm talkin' about!

The core is currently small, but if the City gets their act together, they will realize (I think they already do) that west of I-4 (Parramore) is the future. The core can double if the CBD (central business district) is extended west to Parramore or Westmoreland. Some zoning changes will insure we have a symmetry core with I-4 running down the middle. The beauty of the west side is that you can start from a clean sheet and create something truly special you find in higly desirable cores around the world.

Think Symmetry! The dowtown core could double with a population of 100K or more. Now that would generate some foot traffic....something really special! :thumbsup:

The core is currently small, but if the City gets their act together, they will realize (I think they already do) that west of I-4 (Parramore) is the future. The core can double if the CBD (central business district) is extended west to Parramore or Westmoreland. Some zoning changes will insure we have a symmetry core with I-4 running down the middle. The beauty of the west side is that you can start from a clean sheet and create something truly special you find in higly desirable cores around the world.

Think Symmetry! The dowtown core could double with a population of 100K or more. Now that would generate some foot traffic....something really special! :thumbsup:

Dont forget the difference in height restrictions west of I4, but this would be years from now.

Depends where. It is all limited by zoning. I hate to disapoint, but Parramore will not have any buildings taller than City View. No room for it. The flight path does not effect the area like the CBD. That is why City Place is so tall. But it aint happening. The only area with the zoning in place is the City Place site.

Depends where. It is all limited by zoning. I hate to disapoint, but Parramore will not have any buildings taller than City View. No room for it. The flight path does not effect the area like the CBD. That is why City Place is so tall. But it aint happening. The only area with the zoning in place is the City Place site.

Cities change zoning codes, though. Nothing is concrete. In fact, in my professional experience, the first thing my firm would do is hire a zoning consultant and attempt to upzone the land to increase its value. Given that Canyon Partners has entered this submarket, I would say that upzoning Parramore is not such an outrageous idea.

Edited by mrh3

yeah, but if the streetscape and plazas aren't all that inviting it won't be all that nice I'm thinking. Crappy design is crappy design. It's not pedestrian friendly at all. Functionally pedestrian...but not friendly/inviting/etc. just my opinion. I just got back from a week in Philly and that's one walkable city. many of the structures are mid rise and it's still very dense with a lot of residences. I ddin't feel very hemmed in...wide sidewalks, good connections, very accessible. Good tree canopy too. And streets that are, in some cases, only about 8' wide. that's what I'm talkin' about!

That sounds great, I want to visit Philly sometime. The biggest city I've been to is Miami, and their downtown has lots of nice buildings but is not pedestrian friendly.

Cities change zoning codes, though. Nothing is concrete. In fact, in my professional experience, the first thing my firm would do is hire a zoning consultant and attempt to upzone the land to increase its value. Given that Canyon Partners has entered this submarket, I would say that upzoning Parramore is not such an outrageous idea.

Yeah but the majority of the City and elected officials oppose changing any zoning except the industrial areas. Landowners have been trying for years. With the money being invested for the single family neighborhoods, I do not see that changing anytime soon. Besides, the area is so under developed, zoning changes are not necessary.

Yeah but the majority of the City and elected officials oppose changing any zoning except the industrial areas. Landowners have been trying for years. With the money being invested for the single family neighborhoods, I do not see that changing anytime soon. Besides, the area is so under developed, zoning changes are not necessary.

You are right about City and Officials opposing zoning changes....until they are motivated. The motivation has not been there until recently. A lot of high $$$ properties are erecting along the east side of I-4. Soon Kuhn will bring the Church Street Station back to life. The I-4 widening and new exits will be completed, and hopefully the new Events Center will break ground as well. These folks will not like having the less "privileged" coming from the other side of I-4 and chasing away their business (locals and tourists). I think you understand business well enough to know where I am getting to...

If I am not mistaken, 50% of the properties between I-4 and Westmoreland (East-West) and Colonial to 408 (North-South) are industrial use. The City allowed these uses in a once thriving neighborhood. These uses eventually forced the deterioration of this area and cause mass exit of the educated population. Well guess what, the City officials made a big mistake in the past....it is time they fix it!

This industrial corridor can easily be rezoned to Activity Center (AC ) use. Of course the City by itself will not do this. It will take investors, developers, and the right economics to make it happen. Developers and investors are already assembling large parcels, and you can see already large scale demolition. I believe the City was the first to assemble large tracts. I am sure they have many options....lets hope they make the right choice this time. Of course current activity is mostly for midrise mixed use construction, but there is no reason why highrise could not work here. This area is the only area that offers City planners a clean sheet to create a true, well planned Urban destination.

As soon as the Federal Courthouse, Creative Village, Heritage Park, the Parramore Town Center, the Events Center, the BBIF mixed use project, Corinthian place, etc. get built.....a push toward Highrises will be stronger. Patience it all comes down to Economics! (been thru this scenario in East Berlin) Plus Europe likes Orlando!!! ....and the Euro is strong!