Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

The new tram line in Paris runs IN the median with above ground wires. The tracks are almost hidden in the grass and the wires are hardly noticable.tram-T3-essais.jpg

Wouldn't something like this look neat whizzing up and down the Broad Street Corridor? Median foliage would have to go, but green grass as seen above would be a good substitute.

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

Burt you should like hearing this:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/opinion.apx....09-25-0074.html

As Amtrak sets national records for ridership, the Staples Mill and Main Street stations report records, too. For instance, July's 26,447 passengers allowed the Staples Mill Station to register its best numbers ever. Ridership at Main Street Station doubled over the previous year but from a smaller base.

Article about Main Street Station in today's Times-Dispatch. Talks about why ridership is what it is compared to Staples Mill Station and what could be done.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-28-0153.html

Ich4, I just this minute added my comments (as "railfan") to the bottom of Peter Bacque's story, but comments by readers don't come up for quite a while after having been posted at inRich.

I didn't have space to add this, but Amtrak's arrivals and departures at MSS are as follows:

Arrivals from the north at 10:12 a.m. and 5:12 p.m.

Arrivals from Newport News at 10:17 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

There is only a single track at MSS which means that one or the other train (unless in the unlikely circumstance BOTH are on time) has to dawdle up or down the line waiting for the other to clear ther station.

Edited by burt

Ich4, I just this minute added my comments (as "railfan") to the bottom of Peter Bacque's story, but comments by readers don't come up for quite a while after having been posted at inRich.

I didn't have space to add this, but Amtrak's arrivals and departures at MSS are as follows:

Arrivals from the north at 10:12 a.m. and 5:12 p.m.

Arrivals from Newport News at 10:17 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

There is only a single track at MSS which means that one or the other train (unless in the unlikely circumstance BOTH are on time) has to dawdle up or down the line waiting for the other to clear ther station.

where would the Richmond-bound trains wait while the Newport News-bound trains are at MSS? Does it wait on the viaduct in Shockoe Bottom? Or does it wait at Fulton Yards? I'll have to head down there one morning to photograph it.

where would the Richmond-bound trains wait while the Newport News-bound trains are at MSS? Does it wait on the viaduct in Shockoe Bottom? Or does it wait at Fulton Yards? I'll have to head down there one morning to photograph it.

The southbound train, I believe, has priority. But if it is held up, I assume it idles in Shockoe Valley where there is double tracking -- probably near Hospital Street.

Northbound trains I know for a fact idle on the double-tracked trestle in front of Tobacco Row while awaiting clearance to enter the station. For some odd reason, the second track in the immediate station area was removed. Probably thanks to CSX policy.

The state is getting money to improve the tracks around Main Street Station.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-30-0173.html

At least it's a start.

"...$2 million for preliminary design work on track improvements around Main Street Station."

As the article points out, with only one track, freight and passenger movements are not compatible at MSS.

Light rail plans are in the station's future --- waaaay in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this article from Richmond.com the other day about BRT. What do you guys think about it?

http://www.richmond.com/25651

I think that it may be a good start toward light rail, but I've also read articles stating that BRT is more expensive per mile than light rail (see http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_brt.htm). I wonder what the truth is? Just wanted to ping you guys to see what you all think.

• 1 month later...

The Benjamin Harrison Bridge connecting Jordan's Point in Prince George County with Charles City County in the vicinity of Shirley Plantation is acting up again.

This span across a wide stretch of the James River near Hopewell replaced a ferry system a few decades ago and has been problematical since it opened. Not only does repair cause 28-mile detours for automobile/truck traffic, it interferes with the Port of Richmond shipping schedules. Large vessels requiring high clearance visit Richmond Deep Water Terminal about twice a week.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-19-0137.html

• 3 weeks later...

Style Weekly has a story about public transit in Richmond. John Lewis, director of GRTC pleads for more public funding and the elimination of four bus routes. Councilman Bruce Tyler whose affluent First district would lose service on two of the proposed cut lines is quoted thusly:

"When do you say enough is enough? When do we start doing things smart and stop driving the middle class out of the City of Richmond? We have to be more creative than to say the only thing I can do is stand in front of you and tell you I need more money" says Tyler of Lewis's appearance before City Council.

Well, Mr. Tyler, what are your creative solutions? One of mine would be to lobby the State Legislature ceaselessly until they enacted a resolution to have surrounding counties expand GRTC service and pay for it. That, in addition to providing necessary transit, would lessen the departure of the middle class out of the city.

Further, I think the new administration in Washington will look kindly on Richmond's transit plight. Turning blue has its political advantages.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=...4D943FB0FAADA72

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

The Southeast High Speed Rail proposal now plans parallel trails along its route as part of The East Coast Greenway from Maine to Florida.

Congress just unveiled the $825billion economic stimulus package which would include $10billion for mass transit.

See the high-speed rail website:

http://www.sehsr.org/

If you really dig into it, you'll find detailed maps of the proposed rail routes, such as the rebuilt SAL track bed between Petersburg and Raleigh.

Edited by burt

No problem :thumbsup:

Ah, thanks again Tommy.

If readers will check out the image of Main Street Station in the Shockoe Center rendering above I believe my comments will make more sense.

In order to make Main Street Station practical for passenger rail usage it needs considerable work. At present there is one thru track on each side of the building, and while the westernmost track is used at present for freight only, future southeast high speed rail would require it as well as the eastern side to be double-tracked. Even that double-track configuration would be of limited use, especially if commuter rail is in the station's future.

My proposal would be to lengthen the shed to Marshall Street and restore six or more tracks with switches from each of the main lines at the station head house and also north of Broad Street. Four of those could be stub-end tracks terminating at the station, but the other two (one on the west and the other on the east) essentially would be third thru tracks. Storage yards and a "wye" would have to be constructed somewhere in the area -- perhaps in Shockoe Valley, or south of The James.

I also believe the "Buckingham Short Line" connection between MSS and Doswell (described in detail elsewhere in this thread) should be rebuilt for high speed usage in order to avoid freight congestion at Acca yards and reduced speeds thru Ashland. A suburban station near the junction of US-301 and I-288 would be accessible to Henrico and Hanover suburbs.

Parking betwixt and between the supports for added tracks in the shed could be cleverly arranged.

If big money isn't spent on Main Street Station, it will soon revert to landmark value only. Downtown rail service will remain next to useless.

Edited by burt

Ah, thanks again Tommy.

If readers will check out the image of Main Street Station in the Shockoe Center rendering above I believe my comments will make more sense.

In order to make Main Street Station practical for passenger rail usage it needs considerable work. At present there is one thru track on each side of the building, and while the westernmost track is used at present for freight only, future southeast high speed rail would require it as well as the eastern side to be double-tracked. Even that double-track configuration would be of limited use, especially if commuter rail is in the station's future.

My proposal would be to lengthen the shed to Marshall Street and restore six or more tracks with switches from each of the main lines at the station head house and also north of Broad Street. Four of those could be stub-end tracks terminating at the station, but the other two (one on the west and the other on the east) essentially would be third thru tracks. Storage yards and a "wye" would have to be constructed somewhere in the area -- perhaps in Shockoe Valley, or south of The James.

I also believe the "Buckingham Short Line" connection between MSS and Doswell (described in detail elsewhere in this thread) should be rebuilt for high speed usage in order to avoid freight congestion at Acca yards and reduced speeds thru Ashland. A suburban station near the junction of US-301 and I-288 would be accessible to Henrico and Hanover suburbs.

Parking betwixt and between the supports for added tracks in the shed could be cleverly arranged.

If big money isn't spent on Main Street Station, it will soon revert to landmark value only. Downtown rail service will remain next to useless.

Burt, this may be of interest to you. I came across it yesterday in a Richmond Rail forum over on Yahoo. It discusses what upgrades need to be made to the Peninsula Subdivision. It's dated January 8, 2009. (in PDF format)

http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/projects/file...on%201-8-09.pdf

Just to clarify, did you mean a station at US301 & 288 or US301 & I-295? 301/288 is in Chester while 301/295 is at the Hanover{sodEmoji.|}Henrico line. I think you probably meant 301/295 which isn't too far from the old C&O's Chickahominy commuter stop or the station at Atlee.

The storage yards and wye you describe, I think could easily be built in the old Brown Street yards just below the MLK Bridge. I imagine CSX still owns the property. If life were logical, the work you describe needed should be included in the development of Shockoe Center....but since when is life, especially in Richmond, logical.

In regards to the aforementioned Peninsula Subdivision study, I think they're missing out on not planning a station at RIC airport. It appears to me it would greatly increase passenger traffic on Amtrak trains from RIC to MSS for those with business in the city. A ticket would be what? $10? That's got to me less than a taxi ride.