Museum Developments in Richmond

wrldcoupe4

I agree. The previous design looked better suited in Colonial Williamsburg. This seems to fit well with the warehouses of Shockoe Slip.

Also, here's the text to the article from yesterday:

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewi...id_2825068.html

Thanks JSI, evanf and Wrldcoupe4 for clearing this up. I'm sure Will Jones is disturbed about the half report of his story on R-TD dot com.

I agree that this plan is far more suitable for the block in question. The interiors of the street frontage buildings will require some imaginative design to accommodate a museum, parking, etc. But the architects are pros.

I suppose Virginia Street north of Cary, which was little more than an alley, will be gone forever.

Edited by burt

I noticed some work taking place on East Cary in the Slip, nearby the recent proposal at 13th and E. Cary. The workers were pulling up the stone cobble and concrete bed beneath the stone. Does anyone know if this is utility work for the proposed development?

• 4 months later...

Here's a more detailed story from today's RTD about the VMFA expansion. It includes an interesting slide show as well as a web site detailing location of galleries. Almost all galleries will be closed for ten months while interior work continues.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-214816/259220/

The huge block of land bounded by Boulevard, Grove Avenue, Shepard Street and Kensington Avenue on which sit the VMFA, Daughters of the Confederacy Library and Virginia Historical Society contains some truly eclectic architecture...not to mention the Benedictine school and church one block west in The Museum District.

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fort Lee will have one of the largest military museum complexes in the country when The US Army Ordnance Museum opens in 2011. It is expected to draw many visitors from across the Nation.

Many of the artifacts and exhibits are to be transferred from Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.

The museum, about 22 miles south of Capital Square, will be another attraction for the Metro Richmond area.

From today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-203003/290944/

• 1 month later...

A major Tiffany exhibition arranged in collaboration with Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and Musee du Luxembourg is now on view at the Paris museum. It will then move to The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts prior to launching the new galleries at VMFA in May 2010.

There will be much more definitive news on this exhibition which will focus worldwide attention on Richmond.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

The Richmond Slave Trail Commission unveils renderings for a national slavery museum in Shockoe Bottom

The sweeping vision looks like this: On the 4 1/2-acre sliver of city-owned land between Main Street Station and Interstate 95, bordered by Marshall and Franklin streets on the north and south, would rise a huge piece of modern architecture. It would range in size from 50,000 to 75,000 square feet, Pinnock says, becoming a defining feature of eastern downtown

I'm intrigued by the genealogical center....that could potentially be a huge draw, more and more people seem to express an interest in knowing their family history.

Hopefully, they'll not put all their hope in getting funding from the government, I just don't see it coming from there right now....there's got to be some big shots with money who have a passion for this.

From an architectural standpoint, it will certainly draw curiosity from those passing along I-95....and if Main Street Station picks up more rail traffic, it could be quite the front door into Richmond.

It's a great idea, but if Main Street Station is to become a major stop on the Southeast High Speed Rail corridor more than one track will be needed on the east and west sides of the station.

The large pavillion sketched in the over-head rendering appears to overlap a west track expansion. Couldn't the pavillion and the property north of Broad as well as space beneath the elevated rail lines be better utilized?

And what of GRTC's intermodal plans for MSS?

The old Seaboard freight building is a great existing building as a starter. Where is Lumpkin's Jail site in these renderings?

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...