Richmond International Airport

eandslee

• 2 weeks later...

The FBI is leasing part of the Air National Guard at RIC and will base two jet transports there.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-115001/320201/

Here's an update story about the FBI leasing part of the old Virginia Air National Guard property on the far side of Richmond International Airport.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/transportation/article/B-AIRP27_20100126-215603/320299/

Just want to throw some kudos to Flack and the rest of the staff at RIC for dealing with the snow so well Saturday night/Sunday morning. My American flight to Chicago left only a few minutes late Sunday early afternoon and I was amazed at how good of a job the crews did clearing the snow from the taxiways and runways. If only the jetbridge hadn't gotten stuck (gate agent said it was literally frozen due to the cold/snow) causing us to walk through the snow to the plane. But at least we got out.

Just want to throw some kudos to Flack and the rest of the staff at RIC for dealing with the snow so well Saturday night/Sunday morning. My American flight to Chicago left only a few minutes late Sunday early afternoon and I was amazed at how good of a job the crews did clearing the snow from the taxiways and runways. If only the jetbridge hadn't gotten stuck (gate agent said it was literally frozen due to the cold/snow) causing us to walk through the snow to the plane. But at least we got out.

I agree, crash. RIC is lucky to have flack. And I bet his boss, Mathiason, is pretty sharp, too.

Question from a novice? Why couldn't your American flight be moved to a thawed-out jetway? I would think American has more than one in that concourse.

Edited by burt

I agree, crash. RIC is lucky to have flack. And I bet his boss, Mathiason, is pretty sharp, too.

Question from a novice? Why couldn't your American flight be moved to a thawed-out jetway? I would think American has more than one in that concourse.

From my perspective, and I'm just a novice too, it would've been a hassle to have to hook up the vehicle that pushes the planes back, push it back, and then have the plane move to the next gate over. I'm guessing the control tower would need to get involved for something like that. So, after 10 minutes or so of trying to get the bridge hooked up, the American folks probably thought this was the easiest route. I'm sure the people on the plane were itching to get off. Also, I don't know that the next gate was in any better shape as these were the first flights to leave from those gates for the day. To compound things, just as we were leaving the gate, another American flight was pulling up (from St. Louis or Miami I presume), so that plane would've encountered the same problems if they had used our original gate.

I hope all that makes sense.

Edited by crashvt03

Just heard that Frontier Airlines will start flying out of Newport News/Williamsburg (PHF) with n/s service to Denver.

Congratulations to Newport News. What type of aircraft will be used? Meanwhile, there was a minor security delay at RIC this morning.

Here's the story from today/s RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-083802/322437/

A more serious security matter may be the TSA's defense of badging an employee for top security clearance when there is a past criminal history on the person's record. There was a Times Dispatch story about it in yesterday's edition, but I can't find it today.

Edited by burt

Congratulations to Newport News. What type of aircraft will be used? Meanwhile, there was a minor security delay at RIC this morning.

A more serious security matter may be the TSA's defense of badging an employee for top security clearance when there is a past criminal history on the person's record. There was a Times Dispatch story about it in yesterday's edition, but I can't find it today.

Frontier will initially use 99 seat E190's then transition after a month to 128 seat Airbus 318's. Service starts May 4th. :good:

Press release here, PDF alert

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb, 6th:

I found it in today's comments section, so you'll have to scroll up to read Peter Bacque's RTD story dated February 4th about security clearance at RIC.

http://www2.timesdis...22101/#comments:

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an updated report about the security dispute between TSA and Richmond International Airport:

From Peter Bacque in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-223008/322383/

The saga continues. The story was also picked up by CNN''s Jeanne Meserve (Homeland Security Correspondent), Gadling, and several other travel sites. Our issue is the inconsistency of the process and our belief that a person adjudicated/convicted of felony robbery (one of 28 disqualifying offenses listed by 49 CFR 1542.209) within a 10-year period of a badge application should not be issued a badge for the airport's most security-sensitive areas - per the TSA-approved security plan in place. With this background, an applicant for a position with the airport, an airline, a cargo company, ramp worker or any other entity EXCEPT for TSA would be quickly DQ'd.

Flack4RIC

@Flack4RIC on Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

I read that service on Delta from RIC to Minneapolis is going to resume again in June. Looks like it is just 1 flight a day around 6:15pm on an EMB-175 which is a 76 seat regional jet with 12 First Class seats. I heard the service is only going to be seasonal with it ending in August, but I hope it does well enough that it stays year-round.

I read that service on Delta from RIC to Minneapolis is going to resume again in June. Looks like it is just 1 flight a day around 6:15pm on an EMB-175 which is a 76 seat regional jet with 12 First Class seats. I heard the service is only going to be seasonal with it ending in August, but I hope it does well enough that it stays year-round.

crashvt03, you have good sources. Airlines don't seem to publicize certain types of launches very well, but the return of RIC-MSP service is certainly welcome. I also like Delta's emphasis on LGA - while retaining a daily JFK flight which can connect to international departures at JFK - with the April schedule change.

Also, noting that AA/American Eagle will add two daily (M-F) frequencies to Chicago starting next month.

Each of these air service changes is a step in the right direction.

burt, the interactive map, if I recall properly, picks up "new" destinations about 60 days before launch. Certainly not any sooner.

Flack4RIC

Edited by flack4ric

I've heard that the new Visitors Kiosk at RIC opened today in a far more visible location. It is at the base of the escalators near car rental desks and baggage carousels on the departures level. My friend Judy says that one lady who uses the airport frequently remarked that she had not been aware of the kiosk's existence at its previous spot.

The baggage carousels are on the arrivals (i.e., lower) level.

I guess I got my comings and goings reversed, jb. silly.png

But if you look at it another way, arriving at the airport to drop off departing passengers, you'd use the elevated second level. If you're there to pick up a traveler, you'd drive in on the ground level near the baggage carousels where arrivals are preparing to depart the airport.

Anyway, the touirist desk is on the ground level by the first, or from arriving passengers' point of view, the second set of escalators. grin.png

I've heard that the new Visitors Kiosk at RIC opened today in a far more visible location. It is at the base of the escalators near car rental desks and baggage carousels on the departures level. My friend Judy says that one lady who uses the airport frequently remarked that she had not been aware of the kiosk's existence at its previous spot.

Confirming that the new Welcome Center at RIC had its soft opening today. Nearly impossible to miss with a mid-terminal location between each end of baggage claim and both rows of rental car service counters. The folks with the RMCVB did a nice job of pulling off a very efficient move and the center seemed busy throughout the day.

Flack4RIC