Richmond International Airport

eandslee

This would be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen here at the Richmond airport if it does go through. I was on the 7:30am flight again this morning to Minneapolis and it was completely full. So full in fact that the crew said we were too heavy and 8 people had to get off of the plane so we could even leave. I fly to Dubuque, IA every week and the flight to Minneapolis and back is ALWAYS full or nearly full. Why would they cancel this? There are a lot of cities that are only served via Minneapolis and not Detroit.

This would be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen here at the Richmond airport if it does go through. I was on the 7:30am flight again this morning to Minneapolis and it was completely full. So full in fact that the crew said we were too heavy and 8 people had to get off of the plane so we could even leave. I fly to Dubuque, IA every week and the flight to Minneapolis and back is ALWAYS full or nearly full. Why would they cancel this? There are a lot of cities that are only served via Minneapolis and not Detroit.

This is what happens when 2 large airlines merge......... Move equipment to cities where it is needed (in the case of RIC....IMO) and eliminate similar/overlapping DL/NWA flight schedules. Get ready to change planes in Detroit, which I think is one of the nicest airports in the country! Its one of my top 20 airports on my preferred line bid list.

I'm sure Detroit is a nice airport and I'll experience it firsthand next week when I go through there. I'm just bummed out if this ends up being true because I like having the 1-stop option to get to Dubuque. I obviously don't know all of the things that the airlines consider when they decide what routes to keep. But it seems to me like the RIC-MSP route has been doing pretty well at least from the flights I've been on. Hopefully flack can confirm for us whether this is true or not.

I'm sure Detroit is a nice airport and I'll experience it firsthand next week when I go through there. I'm just bummed out if this ends up being true because I like having the 1-stop option to get to Dubuque. I obviously don't know all of the things that the airlines consider when they decide what routes to keep. But it seems to me like the RIC-MSP route has been doing pretty well at least from the flights I've been on. Hopefully flack can confirm for us whether this is true or not.

How many passengers does an E-175 hold versus a CRJ-200? Are they both prop planes?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I drove thru RIC when I was in town recently and it appears roadways and fly-overs near the termiunal are complete.

The Pocahontas Pkwy (Rt 895) airport access spur right-of-way is being cleared south of Charles City Road.

Edited by burt

I drove thru RIC when I was in town recently and it appears roadways and fly-overs near the termiunal are complete.

The Pocahontas Pkwy (Rt 895) airport access spur right-of-way is being cleared south of Charles City Road.

Burt, sorry I missed you, but your observations are on target. We're still handling a few landscaping punchlist items, but the on-airport I-64/Rt. 895 Connector project is essentially complete.

With staff cutbacks at the Richmond Times-Dispatch, looks like RIC will see a reporter much less frequently. One topic of discussion on this board is traffic, and the airport posts monthly traffic figures here: http://ow.ly/jxSy .

Please know, you may also contact RIC on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/Flack4RIC.

Good day, one and all!

Flack4RIC

It looks like MSP-RIC is cancelled. Non-stop flights are gone from the Delta and Northwest websites now. Looks like the last day of non-stops is Monday, August 17. Very disappointing to say the least.

Delta's only comments regarding reason for the August cessation with this route was "insufficient local traffic." As far as connecting traffic, I think they would expect to handle via CVG, DTW, ATL, etc. Personally, I loved the MSP nonstop, regret seeing it come off the fall schedule.

Flack4RIC

Delta's only comments regarding reason for the August cessation with this route was "insufficient local traffic." As far as connecting traffic, I think they would expect to handle via CVG, DTW, ATL, etc. Personally, I loved the MSP nonstop, regret seeing it come off the fall schedule.

Flack4RIC

I saw that Delta is also reducing the # of flights to CVG from 4 to 2 starting in September, so it seems Delta wants to funnel most of the connecting traffic through DTW and ATL. I wonder if Delta will put a bigger plane on the flights to DTW as it's only a 50 seat CRJ-200 right now. It'd be nice to see an ERJ 175 or a DC9 on the route. Norfolk has both of those types of planes going to DTW.

Burt, sorry I missed you, but your observations are on target. We're still handling a few landscaping punchlist items, but the on-airport I-64/Rt. 895 Connector project is essentially complete.

With staff cutbacks at the Richmond Times-Dispatch, looks like RIC will see a reporter much less frequently. One topic of discussion on this board is traffic, and the airport posts monthly traffic figures here: http://ow.ly/jxSy .

Please know, you may also contact RIC on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/Flack4RIC.

Good day, one and all!

Flack4RIC

Thanks for all the info, flack. Present plans will put me in Richmond for a short one-night visit Saturday, September 12th on Jet Blue 1071 at 9:43 am.. I fractured my foot and will still be in a boot. I suppose I'll have to take off the boot at security in JFK and hobble thru the line and again at RIC when departing Sunday on 1076.

Why don't airports have seats at security so old people can comfortably remove their footwear? They have plenty of chairs for re-shodding beyond security belts at JFK and RIC but, last I flew, it was an ordeal removing shoes while standing. I think I'll request a wheelchair. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info, flack. Present plans will put me in Richmond for a short one-night visit Saturday, September 12th on Jet Blue 1071 at 9:43 am.. I fractured my foot and will still be in a boot. I suppose I'll have to take off the boot at security in JFK and hobble thru the line and again at RIC when departing Sunday on 1076.

Why don't airports have seats at security so old people can comfortably remove their footwear? They have plenty of chairs for re-shodding beyond security belts at JFK and RIC but, last I flew, it was an ordeal removing shoes while standing. I think I'll request a wheelchair. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about the foot, burt. Take care, and don't hesitate to ask for assistance while you're on the mend.

Flack4RIC

I saw that Delta is also reducing the # of flights to CVG from 4 to 2 starting in September, so it seems Delta wants to funnel most of the connecting traffic through DTW and ATL. I wonder if Delta will put a bigger plane on the flights to DTW as it's only a 50 seat CRJ-200 right now. It'd be nice to see an ERJ 175 or a DC9 on the route. Norfolk has both of those types of planes going to DTW.

crashvt03, it will be interesting to see how the DL/NW hub options get sorted out. Obviously, for RIC, ATL is a keeper. We'll see, over time, how CVG, DTW, MSP & MEM are utilized with current demand, emerging markets, and strategic (competitive) issues.

Flack4RIC

Edited by flack4ric

crashvt03, it will be interesting to see how the DL/NW hub options get sorted out. Obviously, for RIC, ATL is a keeper. We'll see, over time, how CVG, DTW, MSP & MEM are utilized with current demand, emerging markets, and strategic (competitive) issues.

Flack4RIC

Bummer about those Delta flights out of RIC. But it makes sense if they are consolidating the hubs. I had heard that CVG (Cincy) was getting hit pretty hard in terms of lost flights. A number of their International flights have also (or will be) discontinued. That's a big blow for them. It sounds a lot like Atlanta, Detroit and Salt Lake will remain the main hubs. Cincinnati, Memphis and Minneapolis will become more of "focus" cities. I have noticed that Delta is adding service to overseas markets that don't traditionally have International service. Pittsburgh just got non-stop service to Paris on Delta. Not saying RIC would get something like that, but it may open the doors for non-stop to places like Salt Lake City once everything shakes out.

What's this with USAir's swap with Delta for slots at LaGuardia?

Does it mean that for a while in 2010 there will be no air service between RIC and LGA?

From today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business...-213606/285656/

It looks like LaGuardia is going to become a domestic hub for Delta. I really have no idea on the timing, maybe Flack4Ric can answer, but I suppose there's a potential for no non-stop service to LGA from RIC until their service is set up. RIC isn't the only one affected. All express service from LaGuardia on USAirways will be discontinued. They will focus on just keeping mainline service there and expanding at Washington's Reagan airport. LaGuardia is unique to most airports in that they have separate, dedicated terminals for each airline. The reason for the swap between Delta and US Airways is that USA was after Delta's International slots (which are of course more profitable). USA is starting non-stop service to Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Brazil from CLT and they are applying for non-stop service to Tokyo through their PHX hub. Delta is dropping some of their International destinations, while US Airways (who has far less of an International presence by comparison) is trying to ramp theirs up.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for advice on watching for great deals on weekend getaway trips via RIC. I've been in Richmond for less than a year and I'm new to the East coast. I'm wondering what airlines / destinations I should pay attention to for great deals. I'm more likely to hop on a plane to see a city because the tickets are cheap than selecting the city first.

That said, I'd love to get a great deals on tickets to Pittsburgh.

When I lived in Little Rock, Southwest would run deals on tickets (oneway) to Dallas ($49 to $99) and St. Louis ($79).