Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Is there any remaining non-stop between RIC and PIT?

Today, yes. Next month, no.

I looked at a US schedule for PIT hub for September 2004. For that month, over 400 lines of departures. Looking at September 2008, about 85, with most service from PIT going to CLT, PHL, DCA, LGA, BOS, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone chomping at the bit to pick up RIC-PIT service either. I flew RIC-PIT in June via JetBlue (JFK connection), decent connections, ontime flights, fast bag delivery, competitive prices....

flack4ric

There is a spur off the CSX Main Line paralleling a section of South Airport Drive, I believe. It would require connections, major improvement and extension, perhaps in and among the new airport flyovers, to a station platform west of the two large parking decks. If push/pull locomotives were used, there would be no need for turn-around in order for a train to continue to Williamsburg and Hampton Roads and/or a reverse route to Richmond..

However, there are serious problems at Main Street Station which, truly, in its present track configuration is no where near ideal for passenger rail. If Southeast High Speed plans proceed, improvements there are crucial.

I'll talk about my ideas for a proper downtown train station later in the Roads to Richmond thread.

fair enough, look forward to reading your ideas.

eandslee - the USAToday chart is forward-looking (shows November schedules) so there is not a direct connection to the July traffic report. Not so sure that a brief rough patch with clear factors is so bad. This business is certainly cyclical, and economic downturns have impacted airport traffic (systemwide) in the past.

burt - looks like the JetBlue link has moved here: http://www.jetblue.com/deals/jetoutoftown/...toftown20080825 . I'm seeing $49 fares each way (pretty great), but not $39 as posted.

flack4ric

/quote]

Flack, scroll waaaay down, and you'll see the $39 offer.

Some other air service notes from today's meeting:

• AirTran Airways launched 2x RIC-New York LGA service on August 7th. Ridership seems to be building. Schedule change on September 4th very favorable for business travelers.
  • JetBlue Airways will start new RIC-Orlando flight on November 2, representing B6's 4th destination from RIC.
  • US Airways ends nonstop service to Pittsburgh in September; at one time, US offered 6-7 daily RIC-PIT departures when PIT was a full-scale hub.
  • Delta Air Lines ends nonstop service to Orlando in September; service curtailed of recent, peaked in Summer of '05 when AirTran started RIC service.

Obviously, most of this info is not news to many who post here, but may be useful to the occasional visitor.

flack4ric

I'm really liking the fact that JetBlue keeps building up its service at RIC - 4 destinations out of RIC is awesome! I believe that is more than other cities our size and bigger who are served by JetBlue such as Raleigh, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Rochester and I can name more. I think that's pretty unbelievable considering Dulles is a JetBlue hub and is so close to Richmond! Keep the additional service coming JetBlue! Anyone ever heard of focus cities being close together like Richmond is to Dulles? ;) I can dream can't I?

Edited by eandslee

burt - I can see the offer, I just couldn't find the price when actually pricing out a trip. Might have needed to search a few more dates?

flack4ric

Yea. That's what I was saying. I couldn't find the price when I tried, either. But it's there big as life -- $39 one way to RIC from JFK on October 1st. Maybe those seats sold as soon as they were posted.

Yea. That's what I was saying. I couldn't find the price when I tried, either. But it's there big as life -- $39 one way to RIC from JFK on October 1st. Maybe those seats sold as soon as they were posted.

I did a search from JFK to RIC leaving 10/1 and coming back 10/7 and it was $39 down and $49 back. So it looks like there are seats available.

inRich Breaking News is posting RIC Arrivals and Departures as its lead story at this moment as a result of the Nationwide computer glitch. The info, Flash, is lifted directly from the airport's new website. I thought you'd be pleased to know that. I am. :thumbsup:

http://www.flyrichmond.com/Flight_Info/Arrivals.php

http://www.flyrichmond.com/Flight_Info/Departures.php

CommRE I checked twice and could find only $49 seats on Oct. 1st. Did you check to see if $39 was available from RIC to JFK on Oct. 1st?

Edited by burt

inRich Breaking News is posting RIC Arrivals and Departures as its lead story at this moment as a result of the Nationwide computer glitch. The info, Flash, is lifted directly from the airport's new website. I thought you'd be pleased to know that. I am. :thumbsup:

The glitch had little, if any, impact locally. [Thankfully] The FIDs screens look good this morning, one delayed plane (CLT-RIC and RIC-CLT) and no cxls.

flack4ric

There is a spur off the CSX Main Line paralleling a section of South Airport Drive, I believe. It would require connections, major improvement and extension, perhaps in and among the new airport flyovers, to a station platform west of the two large parking decks. If push/pull locomotives were used, there would be no need for turn-around in order for a train to continue to Williamsburg and Hampton Roads and/or a reverse route to Richmond..

However, there are serious problems at Main Street Station which, truly, in its present track configuration is no where near ideal for passenger rail. If Southeast High Speed plans proceed, improvements there are crucial.

I'll talk about my ideas for a proper downtown train station later in the Roads to Richmond thread.

Burt, I took a look at that spur and a couple of things stuck me (none of which included a train).

In an ideal future, RIC could run their own electric train on that spur to a station built on the old C&O mainline for Amtrak to pick up without having the Amtrak trains deviate off the mainline track.

Or just run a shuttle service from the air terminal to this new rail station on the mainline.

This, of course, is if money and interest were no object.

Burt, I took a look at that spur and a couple of things stuck me (none of which included a train).

In an ideal future, RIC could run their own electric train on that spur to a station built on the old C&O mainline for Amtrak to pick up without having the Amtrak trains deviate off the mainline track.

Or just run a shuttle service from the air terminal to this new rail station on the mainline.

This, of course, is if money and interest were no object.

Ich4, see my comments on roads to Richmond. In view of MSS inadequacies, I think a new rail station should be build in Shockoe Valley around Hospital Street with totally new tracks in the medians of Interstate highways rather than competing with freight traffic on aging trestles. Fat chance, though, knowing our government's reluctance to come to grips with passenger rail.

It would be neat to have an I-64 station at Airport Drive where shuttle buses could carry airline passengers to connect with trains bound for downtown, Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Williamsburg et cetera.

Considering the significant public investment put into reopening MSS recently, shouldn't we work towards making its situation improved?

The biggest issue with rail running in highway medians is the significant changes to overpasses that would be required as many have supports resting in the medians.

Considering the significant public investment put into reopening MSS recently, shouldn't we work towards making its situation improved?

The biggest issue with rail running in highway medians is the significant changes to overpasses that would be required as many have supports resting in the medians.

I agree with your first paragraph, but it has been over five years and little or no improvements have been made at MSS nor along the main line connecting the two Richmond stations.

Also, I'd really be curious to see how Main Street Station could be improved. The ancient trestles along the river near Tobacco Row, at the station itself, as well as the rail bridge across the James are just about at the end of their life spans.

I know, I know. Interstate medians have their problems, but if the Feds (not to mention individual states) got serious about transportation in this country, joint use by cars and trains on the Interstate system could be possible and practical.

But we're straying from RIC.

I swear I saw something peculiar on the departure board that puzzled me. Two airlines (USAir and United) were listed with flights at the same gate at the same time to the same city, each with a different flight number. I'm sure you all will think I'm making this up, but I truly believe I saw it. I've forgotten the destination and think it was late afternoon.

Edited by burt

Burt,

USAir and United codeshare, in other words, they are "partners" and share flights. This can be very confusing for the flying public, who often show up for a USAir flight at United or vice versa. In other words, what you saw on the screen was United's number for that flight, as well as, USAir's, for the same flight. Hope this explanation didn't add to the confusion.

Burt,

USAir and United codeshare, in other words, they are "partners" and share flights. This can be very confusing for the flying public, who often show up for a USAir flight at United or vice versa. In other words, what you saw on the screen was United's number for that flight, as well as, USAir's, for the same flight. Hope this explanation didn't add to the confusion.

Well, thank you Twinz. I was beginning to think the old brain had really flipped.

It certainly is a confusing arrangement for the uninformed.

The glitch had little, if any, impact locally. [Thankfully] The FIDs screens look good this morning, one delayed plane (CLT-RIC and RIC-CLT) and no cxls.

flack4ric

Flack. I just noted on the arrival board today that CHARTER arrived from CHARTER at 11:29a.m at Gate 98.

Where is gate 98 and from where did this flight arrive?

I'm so glad that Twinz explained about code sharing flights.

I really enjoy checking arrivals and departures that are provided on the web site. I'm posting them again.

http://www.flyrichmond.com/flight_info/arrivals.php

http://www.flyrichmond.com/flight_info/departures.php

Edited by burt

Where is gate 98 and from where did this flight arrive?

There is no gate 98, so this is a mistake entered by a ramp worker offloading bags. To turn on the carousels, rampers must enter airline and flight number so it posts properly on the public side by the carousels. "Charter" is usually an entry of last resort, and sometimes leads to incorrect info being posted. :dunno:

The codeshare displays are a hassle with local media as well. They'll check arrivals and departures, and call believing that we have twice as many CXLs or delays as we actually do. Oh well, I've become proficient at explaining codeshare displays as media reps rotate in and out of the market.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

There is no gate 98, so this is a mistake entered by a ramp worker offloading bags. To turn on the carousels, rampers must enter airline and flight number so it posts properly on the public side by the carousels. "Charter" is usually an entry of last resort, and sometimes leads to incorrect info being posted. :dunno:

The codeshare displays are a hassle with local media as well. They'll check arrivals and departures, and call believing that we have twice as many CXLs or delays as we actually do. Oh well, I've become proficient at explaining codeshare displays as media reps rotate in and out of the market.

flack4ric

Thanks, flack.

I miss Chip Jones who used to do airport reporting for RTD. Wonder where he is now?

Forgive me for the changing the flack channel, but just want to give a construction update at RIC:

1. Airport Dr has been re-routed to the recently completed section. For those entering and exiting RIC, please pay close attention to the signs. It can get confusing, especially in the night hours. ...and pay close attention to the posted speed limits through the construction zone... I got pulled over this past Saturday night.

2. Numerous columns for the first floor of the new North Parking Garage have been erected.

...now back to the flack channel. :shades:

Edited by Shakman

Forgive me for the changing the flack channel, but just want to give a construction update at RIC:

1. Airport Dr has been re-routed to the recently completed section. For those entering and exiting RIC, please pay close attention to the signs. It can get confusing, especially in the night hours. ...and pay close attention to the posted speed limits through the construction zone... I got pulled over this past Saturday night.

2. Numerous columns for the first floor of the new North Parking Garage have been erected.

...now back to the flack channel. :shades:

Thanks for the update, Shak! I like to hear what's going on at the airport, especially news regarding construction! :thumbsup:

"flack channel"? Too funny....

Good advice on speed limits. It drops to 15mph in some areas. Airport police will cite in extreme cases, but Henrico will occasionally position a unit in the area, and I know folks who have picked up a ticket. Ouch....

As far as the North Garage Expansion, here's a shot from this afternoon:

gallery_21276_22_9597.jpg

flack4ric