Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Here’s a good flashback!  Remember Skybus Airlines?  This new start-up airline only lasted 11 months and it used to fly A-319s between Richmond and Columbus, Ohio.  This was back in 2007.  Turns out the RIC-CMH route was the 6th best route in the airline’s entire network!  Not bad!  Here’s an article you can read to reminisce.  Did you ever fly Skybus from RIC?

https://simpleflying.com/skybus-11-month-us-airline/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=echo&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR12GmzmmTPv3Y9elyfqhwN_O3pOdEJQsDROHY-4ZM052Cr-XcgeXQf_NGM&fs=e&s=cl#Echobox=1658514993

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Here’s a good flashback!  Remember Skybus Airlines?  This new start-up airline only lasted 11 months and it used to fly A-319s between Richmond and Columbus, Ohio.  This was back in 2007.  Turns out the RIC-CMH route was the 6th best route in the airline’s entire network!  Not bad!  Here’s an article you can read to reminisce.  Did you ever fly Skybus from RIC?

https://simpleflying.com/skybus-11-month-us-airline/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=echo&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR12GmzmmTPv3Y9elyfqhwN_O3pOdEJQsDROHY-4ZM052Cr-XcgeXQf_NGM&fs=e&s=cl#Echobox=1658514993

Wow 59,000 passengers is nothing to scoff at. According to Wikipedia, that’s  more passengers than we had to Philadelphia or New York last year! Hopefully Breeze sees this and restores that route as we tend to be missing routes to most Midwest cities (outside of Chicago and Detroit).

• Like 2

I know people like to romanticize about the airport becoming a passenger hub, but since amazon, wegmans, and all other important companies are building distribution centers here...why not press either Amazon or DHL to make RIC a cargo hub? Besides, we are the 55th largest by volume. Source:https://www.ttnews.com/articles/top-cargo-airports-north-america

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/top-cargo-airports-north-america

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

I know people like to romanticize about the airport becoming a passenger hub, but since amazon, wegmans, and all other important companies are building distribution centers here...why not press either Amazon or DHL to make RIC a cargo hub? Besides, we are the 55th largest by volume. Source:https://www.ttnews.com/articles/top-cargo-airports-north-america

Fully agreed there! Perhaps @eandsleeyou'd have some insight into this: RIC has the capacity/potential capacity for significant growth as a cargo hub, yes?

1 hour ago, Child2021 said:

27 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Fully agreed there! Perhaps @eandsleeyou'd have some insight into this: RIC has the capacity/potential capacity for significant growth as a cargo hub, yes?

I've given this idea a lot of thought.  I, personally, think that RIC would be a great location for a cargo hub.  However, to gain a more objective point of view, take a look at where the major cargo hubs are located and now.  UPS = Louisville, KY; FedEx = Memphis, TN; Amazon = Cincinnati, OH (their main hub, but also DFW, SBD are other regional hubs); DHL = Also Cincinnati.  So, what do all of these places have in common?  Answer: you can reach anyone anywhere in the United States pretty easily - in other words, these are more centrally located...they're located close to the population center of the US.  Richmond's location is good for east coast access, but when it comes to flying cargo to Seattle, we'll we're not so close.  Although I don't see RIC ever becoming a major hub for any major carrier, I can see it become a "focus city" or a "secondary hub" for the east coast...although most all the major carriers already have an east coast focus city.  If you haven't noticed, Amazon is probably the only exception.  RIC is already a "secondary hub" or "focus City" for Amazon Air...but take that with a grain of salt because there A LOT of these, so called, "focus cities" across the country.  I think Amazon is really working to make every semi-major airport in the US a focus city for Amazon.  "Focus city" in this case should probably just be called a "city served" by Amazon Air.  However, RIC could still have a bright future with Amazon.  There are quite a few Amazon Distribution centers in the metro area and more are coming (note the most recently code-named distribution center in the west side of town close to Short Pump.  I think that is also an Amazon Distribution center).  However, don't be fooled in thinking that the Richmond Metro is unique.  This sort of thing is happening in all major markets across the country.  Richmond just probably has more distribution space per capita than most cities.  Anyway, my point is that with all the Amazon distribution centers here, I can see Amazon Air growing quite a bit at RIC.  I would love to see Amazon build their own cargo facility at the airport, but I'm not sure something like that is in the works.  It is interesting though, that the airport is in the process of purchasing some 160 or so acres of land at the east end of the airport (a perfect place for a major cargo processing facility, in my opinion).  Would Amazon have an appetite to buying or leasing the land to establish a major or semi major cargo facility on the east coast at RIC?  I sure hope so, but we shall see.  It doesn't hurt that Amazon's HQ2 will be in Virginia (Pentagon City/Crystal City).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

I've given this idea a lot of thought.  I, personally, think that RIC would be a great location for a cargo hub.  However, to gain a more objective point of view, take a look at where the major cargo hubs are located and now.  UPS = Louisville, KY; FedEx = Memphis, TN; Amazon = Cincinnati, OH (their main hub, but also DFW, SBD are other regional hubs); DHL = Also Cincinnati.  So, what do all of these places have in common?  Answer: you can reach anyone anywhere in the United States pretty easily - in other words, these are more centrally located...they're located close to the population center of the US.  Richmond's location is good for east coast access, but when it comes to flying cargo to Seattle, we'll we're not so close.  Although I don't see RIC ever becoming a major hub for any major carrier, I can see it become a "focus city" or a "secondary hub" for the east coast...although most all the major carriers already have an east coast focus city.  If you haven't noticed, Amazon is probably the only exception.  RIC is already a "secondary hub" or "focus City" for Amazon Air...but take that with a grain of salt because there A LOT of these, so called, "focus cities" across the country.  I think Amazon is really working to make every semi-major airport in the US a focus city for Amazon.  "Focus city" in this case should probably just be called a "city served" by Amazon Air.  However, RIC could still have a bright future with Amazon.  There are quite a few Amazon Distribution centers in the metro area and more are coming (note the most recently code-named distribution center in the west side of town close to Short Pump.  I think that is also an Amazon Distribution center).  However, don't be fooled in thinking that the Richmond Metro is unique.  This sort of thing is happening in all major markets across the country.  Richmond just probably has more distribution space per capita than most cities.  Anyway, my point is that with all the Amazon distribution centers here, I can see Amazon Air growing quite a bit at RIC.  I would love to see Amazon build their own cargo facility at the airport, but I'm not sure something like that is in the works.  It is interesting though, that the airport is in the process of purchasing some 160 or so acres of land at the east end of the airport (a perfect place for a major cargo processing facility, in my opinion).  Would Amazon have an appetite to buying or leasing the land to establish a major or semi major cargo facility on the east coast at RIC?  I sure hope so, but we shall see.  It doesn't hurt that Amazon's HQ2 will be in Virginia (Pentagon City/Crystal City).

Really solid analysis. :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, eandslee said:

Great points. I honestly wouldn't want RVA to get too big for my own selfish reasons - Love the uniqueness of RVA. So this works great in my view.

Recently found out that Whole Foods is America's second largest food retailer. That's huge... and that means a lot of logistics and it must be timely with expired goods. RVA airport makes sense for east coast where something like 50% of the population lives anyways. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Great points. I honestly wouldn't want RVA to get too big for my own selfish reasons - Love the uniqueness of RVA. So this works great in my view.

Sadly, we aren't going to become Tokyo anytime soon, so I don't think you have anything to worry about, unfortunately. :tw_wink:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, jbjust said:

What is the advantage to Richmond becoming an air freight hub?  Seems like more airplane noise and truck traffic for what?  More air-traffic control headaches?  

Jobs, inflow of money, plus an air freight hub being located at RIC might further attract certain businesses to the region (I'm thinking particularly manufacturers but also large-scale (particularly online) retailers who might be further encouraged to build major distribution centers in the RVA metro if there was even more robust direct freight service to/from various markets. It opens up a whole lot of economic benefit to the region. Surely you can't tell me that Cincinnati hasn't benefitted by being a major air freight hubs for DHL/Amazon; ditto Louisville for UPS or Memphis for FedEx. 

Let's flip it around: what's the benefit to Hamption Roads being a major port for ocean-borne shipping and/or being the HQ of the U.S. Navy's Atlantic Fleet?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Child2021 said:

Well, it looks like Jet Blue will be buying Sprit, I wonder what the potential ramifications will be for the Airport.

JetBlue Buys Spirit Airlines for $3.8 Billion (investopedia.com)

@eandslee thanks for the explanation!

Yeah, so I've been watching this closely.  Personally, I like JetBlue and this merger keeps the airline alive, so I'm happy with it.  It will allow JetBlue to enter markets that are very important to keep the airline afloat...markets it was having trouble entering and establishing a stronghold before the merger (ex. LAX).  It was hard for JetBlue to compete and that's why them winning the bid for Spirit was so important.  As for RIC, well, I have my concerns.  For one thing, RIC stands to lose a serving airline when it loses Spirit.  Secondly, JetBlue and Spirit serve overlapping destinations (like MCO and FLL).  That means less competition for those markets and fewer choices for RIC travelers.  So, unless JetBlue decides to expand and add more unique destinations at RIC, this could be a bad thing.  We'll see how this plays out when it happens.  I'm just hoping that JetBlue decides to expand service at RIC after the merger.  The good thing is that JetBlue has been somewhat kind to RIC by being the first airline to take a chance on RIC by offering nonstop flights to LAX and LAS last year.  Many in the industry said that this was a bad move.  I don't know if it was a bad move, but JetBlue isn't flying between LAX and RIC right now due to "staffing shortages."  I'm assuming they will pick this route back up come the new calendar year, or at least, I hope so.  One thing is for sure.  JetBlue will be a rejuvenated airline with a whole lot more destinations after this merger, so anything is possible I suppose.  We'll just have to watch what happens closely and hope that JetBlue is a boon to RIC when everything is said and done.  Fingers are crossed.   To learn more about why JetBlue wants to merge with Spirit, see this YouTube video:

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting as JetBlue and Spirit operate to both Fort Lauderdale and Orlando out of RIC, so likely the services would be merged and become higher frequency to both cities. Hopefully though it will help JetBlue expand to the west coast out of RIC due to the possibility of additional slots out of LAX opening up. The a320 is a solid jet and hopefully the consolidation of duplicate routes could free up aircraft and crew for more cross country flights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

Fort Lauderdale and Orlando out of RIC, so likely the services would be merged and become higher frequency to both cities.

Hopefully though it will help JetBlue expand to the west coast out of RIC due to the possibility of additional slots out of LAX opening up.

Hopefully the consolidation of duplicate routes could free up aircraft and crew for more cross country flights.

On ALL these points, from your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend!! :tw_thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 6:10 PM, eandslee said:

Breeze Airways seems to have switched from using E-190 jets

Yeppers! Breeze is in the process of phasing out all of their E-190s in favor of the A220s due to the A220s be a lot more reliable now with Breeze :)

• Like 3

So this didn’t get posted here as it doesn’t directly apply to RIC but Breeze has added Phoenix to their route network with flights to Provo and Charleston. This is interesting as Charleston isn’t in the top 5 for unserved domestic destinations from Phoenix, coming in at #6. Pretty interesting is that RIC falls in 5th, with 65 PDEW in Q1 of 2022. This sounds like a great sign that RIC could get nonstops to Phoenix by the end of the year (fingers crossed). Haven’t been able to find the PDEW for other unserved destinations from RIC so if anyone knows how to find them, it could give insight into possible route expansions at RIC. Here’s the full list of unserved destinations from Phoenix:

46F0D54B-3F5F-4ACC-A40A-D8530D9C57BF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

So this didn’t get posted here as it doesn’t directly apply to RIC but Breeze has added Phoenix to their route network with flights to Provo and Charleston. This is interesting as Charleston isn’t in the top 5 for unserved domestic destinations from Phoenix, coming in at #6. Pretty interesting is that RIC falls in 5th, with 65 PDEW in Q1 of 2022. This sounds like a great sign that RIC could get nonstops to Phoenix by the end of the year (fingers crossed). Haven’t been able to find the PDEW for other unserved destinations from RIC so if anyone knows how to find them, it could give insight into possible route expansions at RIC. Here’s the full list of unserved destinations from Phoenix:

46F0D54B-3F5F-4ACC-A40A-D8530D9C57BF.jpeg

Of COURSE (and unfortunately) look who's right ABOVE us at #4... :tw_unamused:

This is one of those unfortunate situations that -- particularly since ORF serves as a focus city facility for Breeze -- if Breeze adds direct service to PHX, it'll probably go to ORF over RIC. I can't see RIC leap-frogging ORF in pecking order for PHX service because of the focus city situation - and I DEFINITELY can't see Breeze adding BOTH airports. It's gonna be one or the other. Interesting they're listing PHF along with ORF, which makes me think they might try to split the difference (as was done with one of their competitors that is seeking to pull from both Norfolk and Richmond markets with service from Patrick Henry) - and if they open a new Virginia route, it would be to PHF to draw from both markets.

Here's where the fine folks at RIC need -- NEED -- to already be lobbying HARD to convince Breeze to come HERE. Hell, get everyone in the business recruitment arm involved... the mayor, the governor... get WHOEVER NECESSARY to get them to come to RIC.

This is one of the major problems of RIC not being a "major" airport. I see this kind of thing happening again and again - and it's the sort of thing that keeps RIC stuck in this segment of medium-sized "regional" airports. We constantly hear that the airport can't/won't/doesn't need to expand until it's operating at capacity. If we keep losing out on flights that end up originating in Norfolk or Newport News, then how on earth are we to EVER hit capacity?

Edited by I miss RVA

I highly disagree that both RIC and ORF couldn’t both sustain direct service. Both have almost identical passenger numbers and those numbers come from connections. No one would drive to ORF to connect to Phoenix through another airport. Both have higher demand than Charleston so both could likely take 2x weekly flights without encroaching on the others demand. Look at Las Vegas, both got flights there, even though Norfolk is a focus city. That’s what is different about Breeze. They don’t care as much about focus cities and largely go based on route demand, meaning that if demand from both RIC and ORF is strong, both will get lots of flights. Plus one passenger per day each way is barely any difference in demand. 

Another possible contender for expansion would be Austin, which consistently averages over 60 PDEW and has better numbers than ORF, so if Breeze does expand into Austin, look for RIC to be an early contender.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blopp1234 said:

I highly disagree that both RIC and ORF couldn’t both sustain direct service. Both have almost identical passenger numbers and those numbers come from connections. No one would drive to ORF to connect to Phoenix through another airport. Both have higher demand than Charleston so both could likely take 2x weekly flights without encroaching on the others demand. Look at Las Vegas, both got flights there, even though Norfolk is a focus city. That’s what is different about Breeze. They don’t care as much about focus cities and largely go based on route demand, meaning that if demand from both RIC and ORF is strong, both will get lots of flights. Plus one passenger per day each way is barely any difference in demand. 

Another possible contender for expansion would be Austin, which consistently averages over 60 PDEW and has better numbers than ORF, so if Breeze does expand into Austin, look for RIC to be an early contender.

You and I are actually in agreement re: RIC and ORF because I also disagree with the sentiment that RIC and ORF could not both support/sustain regular direct service to/from PHX. However, what you or I think doesn't matter. Economic are what they are - and I don't foresee Breeze following our line of thinking. It's not like the two cities and/or airports are 300 or so miles apart - it's what, about 90 miles door-to-door, give or take, no? Breeze is going to look to get what they can from both markets as cheaply as possible - and I don't think it's realistic that they will spend the additional costs to put service in BOTH cities given where the data shake out on their service metrics. It's going to be one or the other. 

Honestly, I hope and pray I'm wrong about this - because I agree with you - both airports could support regular service to/from PHX. Does the combined metric of 131 pull strongly enough to warrant Breeze establishing service at both airports? I would like to think so - but again - it all comes down to economics, which is why I'm suggesting that I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. I hope and pray it DOES happen. But I see it as a minimal chance, at best, at this time.

RIC to AUS would be a great add - and if we're pulling a 60 PDEW, that's pretty solid. You mentioned we're better positioned than ORF for a direct route to/from Austin. Do you have a breakout similar to the one posted for Phoenix? I'd love to see where RIC ranks regarding the Texas capital. It's a direct route that would be a really great add to RIC's mix of offerings.

Again - to reiterate- I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE for RIC to land a Phoenix route. Perhaps Breeze WILL add both RIC and ORF at some point - X number of flights per week out of each airport, with flights happening on different days. I'm just not extremely optimistic that Breeze will be willing to pony up the money to do both cities in one fell swoop at this time.

• Like 1