Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I saw the plans for this redo, and it sounds top notch.

Secondly, I can walk to the corner of my street and see 4 pizza places, and probably 10 within a 1/2 mile radius, you don't see me complaining. Though lately my waist line is.

Edited by Guest

Firstly, I saw the plans for this redo, and it sounds top notch.

Secondly, I can walk to the corner of my street and see 4 pizza places, and probably 10 within a 1/2 mile radius, you don't see me complaining. Though lately my waist line is.

Yeah, but you've got a ton other options besides pizza. The lack of creativity regarding the food scene in plaza midwood is saddening.

Pure Pizza is maybe the best in town though, so I'd be happy to see it stay, and maybe Pizza Peel bite it and become something else (its decent, but I would never pick it again over Pure, Revolution, Mellow Mushroom, Intermezzo, Vapiano, etc...). At any rate I'm just sad about Lulu's having closed. Loved that place. 

• Like 1

I really really really wish they were re-aligning the entrance with Clement Ave. It's such a cluster f*** already and I imagine it'll only get worse once the apartments across the street are occupied. 

I agree, it really is.  I try to avoid Central between Clement and Plaza as much as possible. I take Hamorton or Commonwealth as often as possible...

I really really really wish they were re-aligning the entrance with Clement Ave. It's such a cluster f*** already and I imagine it'll only get worse once the apartments across the street are occupied. 

Yep. I work in an office in the Midwood Smokehouse building and when someone is trying to turn left onto Clement and someone else is trying to turn left into the shopping center, it is a complete clusterfudge because the way things align, the cars sorta block each other. The two need to be aligned and there needs to be a light.

Andrew Jackson highway sure screwed over Plaza Midwood. It cuts the grid to Chantilly so that immediately kills walkability. It's designed to funnel traffic from the burbs to downtown so it isolates it even more. I wonder if a pedestrian bridge would help at all?

^If not for Andrew Jackson highway, we would all be choking on Central and 7th... but generally yes, I'd agree.  It would be nice if there were more connections between Commonwealth and Chantilly.  I think that tunnels might be more likely than bridges, but I don't know if either are realistic.

^^  Glad to see office development coming to that part of town.

Nichols Co is proposing replacing Todd's Flowers with an office building, which I believe will be pushed close to the street with parking in the rear.  Unclear, if they plan on including their former office building in the development (the grey 2 story house at the corner of Central and Hawthorne)

Edited by rjp212

I'm guessing the site at 1200 Central will probably be the next site on this block to be redeveloped. Nicholas owns that site as well, and I'm sure that's a prime location, especially being at the corner of Hawthorne and Central. Though, I kinda like that house that currently sits there.

I'm also guessing an infill development at the corner of Central and Lamar is bound to happen at this point.

Does the entrance to Hatcherland (Bistro, HHM, FD, etc.) need to be aligned with Clement to put a light there?  I have seen other intersections with slightly out of alignment streets that work just fine.  It seems that they are close enough to make it work.

And speaking of traffic, I think they should put a left turn signal in for West bound traffic on Central turning onto Pecan.  That would help accelerate the movement of traffic through PM proper.  Also, eliminating the bus stop or moving it to the other side of the intersection would help as well.  There is stop in front of the library and in front of Midwood Smokehouse.  Those two stops more than service those blocks.

^No, there will be a new building.

The description says they are demoing the Todd's Flowers building and renovating the brick building, so it's unlikely there will be a new building, since the Todd's lot will most likely be parking for the other building. 

Does the entrance to Hatcherland (Bistro, HHM, FD, etc.) need to be aligned with Clement to put a light there?  I have seen other intersections with slightly out of alignment streets that work just fine.  It seems that they are close enough to make it work.

And speaking of traffic, I think they should put a left turn signal in for West bound traffic on Central turning onto Pecan.  That would help accelerate the movement of traffic through PM proper.  Also, eliminating the bus stop or moving it to the other side of the intersection would help as well.  There is stop in front of the library and in front of Midwood Smokehouse.  Those two stops more than service those blocks.

Totally agree.  There needs to be a left turn lane there.  I also think a traffic study should be done for the Central Ave. area between Hawthorne and Nandina.  With the car traffic, bus traffic, pedestrian traffic (including the large amount of jaywalkers crossing Central instead of crossing at Thomas or Pecan) and street parking on the southside of Central, something needs to be done.  I feel like I'm going to get in a wreck or hit someone whenever I travel through that stretch--so I stick to Commonwealth and Hamorton.  

Crossing Central on Pecan, north or southbound is also difficult, because of the offset alignment of Pecan and people turning left on either side.

Would adding a light at Clement help control flow? Also, I use to think the on street parking on Central between Pecan and Thomas was a hazard, however on  nights and weekends that might be the only thing keeping the stretch safe for pedestrians and vehicle traffic.

Edited by Midwoodian