Woodward Avenue Updates

Allan

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to see that some of the recent improvements in downtown Detroit are receiving national acclaim.

"Detroit's Campus Martius Park is one of the top public squares in the United States and Canada, a nonprofit group that helps cities improve their public squares announced Friday.

The group, Project for Public Spaces, ranked Campus Martius, which boasts a lush lawn and flowers in the summer and an ice skating rink in the winter, No. 4 in public squares that enliven neighborhoods and enhance central city districts.

Others ranked were New York City's Rockefeller Plaza, Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square and New Orleans' Jackson Square, which was No. 1."

• 3 weeks later...

Allan, I've always wondered if all of the floors of the Fyfe are occupiable. I'm not even sure when the last renovation was completed, but I've always got the feeling that the apartments in the Fyfe were rather raw, and that the building has few amenities. It always looks pretty dark at night. Can you feel me in?

A friend of mine lives in the Fyfe. It doesn't have a lot of ammenities, but enough to be comfortable. The conversion to apartments was first done in the 1960s, although they have done updating over the years. All of the floors are occupiable. There are about 60 apartments in all...I am not sure how many are full. The Fyfe does lack dedicated parking. A lot of the residents pay for a monthly parking pass for the Fox garage.

I was able to get permission from Kraemer Design Group to post some renderings of what a condo unit in the 1403 Woodward (aka William H. Elliot Dry Goods) building may look alike from layout perspective.

Interior-Condo-01.gif

Interior-Condo-02.gif

Interior-Condo-03.gif

Interior-Condo-04.gif

Interior-Condo-05.gif

I was also given permission to post other information as well and I will post when I have some more time.

I know bedrooms must have egress windows of 5.7 sq. feet in homes...is this not true for apartment/condo buildings?

I guess there must be some sort of exemptions, b/c none of the units I've seen in LoMR/Lofts@Woodward have windows in the bedrooms either. Come to think of it, neither did any of the "loft style" apartments I've seen in Ann Arbor.

I've noticed this in several projects. My guess is that these condo and loft projects are relying on their stairs for fire escape. Afterall, windows are not going to be much of a method of escape once a building passes a certain height.

BTW, I wouldn't put my table back in that corner I would rather have it on the other side of the kitchen where it could have a view. (and nice use of SketchUp)

edit: I do like that since the bedrooms are on the inside walls of the unit the windows above the closets were added for natural light.

Yes, the building relies on stairs for fire escapes. At least two sets of them are required in projects, and they have a required separation distance.

In the Kales they had to take out one of the elevators to put in a second stairwell.

What is the price range for a corner unit like the one you have shown?

They have not finalized pricing on the units, yet. Some of the floor plan is still in flux, though it's getting very close to finalization from what I understand.

Just so everyone's clear, the renderings I've posted is of the 5th floor. 6th floor (top floor) units will have mezzanines as it features much higher ceiling than the rest of the building. Lower floors (other than retail/commercial space in 1st) will be divided into 4 units rather than 3 on the 5th and 6th floor.

The unit in the rendering is about 1580 sq. ft., while the unit next to it (the empty space with 2 posts in the middle) is about 1940 sq. ft. There's a 3rd unit towards the back of the building (from Woodward) that's about 1060 sq. ft.

The lower floors have a unit matching the one on the 5th floor towards the back with the front space divided into 3 units, each about 1200 sq. ft.

Once the first floor exterior work is complete, they'll have signs posted on windows with plans, pricing, etc.

They're very close to being ready to start selling the units and have already received many inquiries after the banner went up on the building a couple of months back.

Those are large units. I'm sure I'd need a large amount of cash to buy one, too.

Yes, indeed. I wish I had some spare cash laying around. ;)

It'd be interesting how the market will react if/when this building turns out to be a success being straight to condos for sale rather than the normal rent out for few years then sell later deal. Obviously the taxes play a great role in determining which way a developer would go, but I think it'll demonstrate a huge demand from people who're wanting to own places in downtown rather than pay $1000/month in rent which would translate into as much as monthly payment on a $200,000 mortgage.

Archived