Woodward Avenue Updates

Allan

The windows seem a little small for what is normally seen in loft or even normal condominuim projects. It seems more of the office type.

The building could always be reclad in a more historic style the same is true for the building on the left which the degc also owns. Whatever happens I hope they recoup the cost putting in new windows

Development agency buys three more vacant buildings that will be resold to boost corridor.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's a great example of Art Moderne architecture in America. Not everything has to be home to lofts apartments one Woodward.

Detroitfan, in that article near the end they speak of the Valpey Building. Judging by the map, it looks to be the Pepper's Shoe Store building. Is that right?

The Art Moderne facade may've been added in the 40's, but this pic from 1936 shows a more ornate building. It works as an office building, but if it was going residental I'd strip it.

1520.jpg

Detroitfan, in that article near the end they speak of the Valpey Building. Judging by the map, it looks to be the Pepper's Shoe Store building. Is that right?Judging by the map, it looks to be the Pepper's Shoe Store building. Is that right?

Yeah the Valpey is Peppers Shoes

I did notice that the top three floors of the buildings in both pictures seem to be at the same levels and the overall heights of the both building are the same. Also in the picture from 1936, the bottom four floors are shorter than the upper three. Is it possible that the second floor was removed and the third floor and fourth floor lowered durring the building's recladding? That seems like a lot of work concidering that an entire floor of usable space would have been removed in the process.

We may be able to tell something by seeing the portion of brick wall on the side, above the A&M. There may be evidence there.

I'm looking for a pic that shows the side of the building. Maybe if you can still see the faded sign we'll know for sure.

Okay, I found a picture I took over the summer, but it's really hard to tell. That corner brick detail next to the common brick that you see in the old picture is found on the side of the building today. The sign mural is different on the present photo, however there is evidence that the square add and possibly the circle ad existed at one time. I'll try and find an even closer image if I can. The one I'm dealing with is from really far away.

• 4 weeks later...

The retail looks interesting. They have stairs or escalators right in the middle of the floor plan. Are they looking for multiple tenants or just one? It seems like the setup would somewhat prevent them from dividing the space up. I could see a restaurant/bar/club going in there. Maybe im just not creative enough to envision possible retail.

Cool! I didn't know it was once called the Elliott Building. I love this structure though. The rich, red brick adds a splash of excitement in what is generally a similar-toned Woodward Avenue.

The retail seems neat too, with the large windows accentuating the first floor facade. One of the buildings of Merchants Row has a two level floor space. The upper part looks like it would be perfect for a piano bar or a lounge space with the main part of the venue on the first floor. I don't think it has been leased yet.

LMich,

I believe the technical address for the building is 1401-1403 Woodward or something like that. When I looked it up online before typing in 1403 Woodward found the building. In fact, the sign that's hanging on the upper floors does say the address is 1403 Woodward. It wasn't until the website came online during the Super Bowl that they used 1401 Woodward as the address.

Michi,

The building was originally the William H. Elliot Dry Goods Building.

Zissou,

I believe the building had retail in the basement when it finally closed up shop. Since it's already used as such, they might as well keep it like that (more prime space to lease). I know they were in talks with a grocery store chain, but those fell through.

• 1 month later...

Construction has begun on the rehabilitation of the Vinton Building, a 1917 Albert Kahn-designed skyscraper located at the northeast corner of Woodward and Congress. Interior demolition is underway, asbestos and lead abatement have been completed, and exterior masonry work is to start this week.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/vinton38.aspx

With the money they are pouring into the project and the fact they will have units up to a million dollars, or so theyve said, I imagine they are gonna make it look fantastic both day and night. Having that building lit up like Kales would be fantastic for that area.

Archived