SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

The whole treatment down South Blvd is a travesty.  Massive gray garage doors and all. 

South Blvd is a pretty important through fare.  I want it to be more pedestrian friendly, but it's so dang busy I just can't imagine it ever developing into what we want it to be.  I'm just going to put all my hopes on Camden and just assume South End is wedged between to auto arteries in North Tryon and South Blvd.

• Like 2

We have a pretty similar setup to that in my neighborhood. 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue serve as major auto thoroughfares and 6th has no retail whatsoever, just houses, and 4th, the location of the subway, has very sparse retail. Where as 3rd and 5th Avenues are both are vibrant retail streets. Maybe one day Mint and Camden will both be retail hubs. 

Edited by Guest

I wonder how they are going to mask the wood studs behind the windows-to-nowhere at the top?

IMG_6491_zpspd0ywbx4.jpg

I wonder how they are going to mask the wood studs behind the windows-to-nowhere at the top?

IMG_6491_zpspd0ywbx4.jpg

I know a few people that like to see studs in windows ;-). Oh wait wrong kind of studs

Lots of updates here. You'll have to help me remember what is what so I can start labeling better haha. 

Thanks so much for all your posts!!! Us people who don't live in Charlotte anymore don't get to see this stuff everyday!

At least 1100 South Blvd seems to be building sidewalks up to the street with no grass area.  There seems to be a street level storefront near the entrance to the garage off South.  I thought there was a flex space/retail spot going in there on the original plans.  Did that change?

At least 1100 South Blvd seems to be building sidewalks up to the street with no grass area. There seems to be a street level storefront near the entrance to the garage off South. I thought there was a flex space/retail spot going in there on the original plans. Did that change?

The site plan says "active use space" and there were 3 of them total, two on the rail trail, but everyone I know that I've mentioned it to, that are "in the know" deny that they are retail spaces.

The site plan says "active use space" and there were 3 of them total, two on the rail trail, but everyone I know that I've mentioned it to, that are "in the know" deny that they are retail spaces.

Ah shucks!  Well at least with the wide sidewalks, it would be make it easy to convert it to some street side cafe in the future.

Ah shucks!  Well at least with the wide sidewalks, it would be make it easy to convert it to some street side cafe in the future.

I never said I trusted my contacts that are "In the know" I'm calling it retail space until I'm proven wrong. Although I think I remember the Facebook person for 1100 confirming that there was no retail, but that there was going to be a nice patio along Carson for residents to hang out on that will engage the street a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.2

Youngblood Towns have a face. Its not the best, not the worst, but we have another reason for there to be a pedestrian crossing as we get at least 100 or so more residences on that side of the track.

Unfortunately the wooden studs are still there, hopefully they'll come down soon. They were testing the fire alarms when I rode by.  Also a bonus picture of the Morningstar Storage as I was leaving tonight. 

Those wood studs are most likely structural, and will not come down.  The contractor will probably:

1. change to a frosted glass panel (pricey)
  2. add a film to the interior (tricky because those studs will be in the way
  3. add a film to the exterior (most likely option because it will cost least and have a life span that covers their period of responsibility: usually one year).

Those wood studs are most likely structural, and will not come down.  The contractor will probably:

1. change to a frosted glass panel (pricey)
  2. add a film to the interior (tricky because those studs will be in the way
  3. add a film to the exterior (most likely option because it will cost least and have a life span that covers their period of responsibility: usually one year).

or 4. We will all forget about it in a year. 

I spoke with the project manager for 1100 South and he explained the purpose of the "studs". Those are 13 foot trusses in the interior space which is crowded with other functions. The plan is to put a "sheeting" (his word, perhaps a film) on the interior surface and there will be a five foot bank of LED lights at the base. This will play across the sheeting with programmed variation in color and timing and intensity to provide a display that he compared to Duke building and its lighting variations. The location will make this quite visible at night and the trusses will not be seen after the window covering goes on. The "sheeting" and lights are all inside the glass.

Edited by tarhoosier