The Vue

cooperdawg

It's actually much worse than this. The often mis-interpreted unemployment rate only counts the people seeking unemployment benefits. It does not count the people whose benefits have already run out, people who have given up on trying to find a job, people not eligible, and anyone who managed to get a part time job to make ends meet. It does not count people who have had their hours, pay and bonuses cut by their employers.

There is much more to the measurement of the unemployment rate than simply measuring those seeking benefits. It is important to remember the stat is a parameter of measurement that remains constant throughout time to provide some level of insight. If you want to capture the people excluded from the unemployment rate there are other statistics that do so.

.... If you want to capture the people excluded from the unemployment rate there are other statistics that do so.
I don't disagree at all. I was responding to the comment that 90% of us were working (assuming they were using the 9%+ rate in Meck) and thus there should be plenty of buyers for the expensive condos in The Vue.

From what I understand, virtually the same project. The only thing that has fallen victim were the two fantastic spires, that would have been great for the skyline.
Not only that, those spires would have given Charlotte four 200 meter towers (BofA, Wells-chovia LOL!!!, Hearst, and Vue). Oh well, maybe on the next tower (whenever that will be?).

Now that I've thought about it, how tall were the spires? If they were 25 feet tall or shorter, the building would still reach 200 meters!!!

Edited by urban980

Also no tunnel form construction.....it could have been a net positive when labor costs and LIBOR were high, but now there isn't much incentive to go the speed they once were (they could have gone about 25% faster with tunnel form).

I believe some of the interior fit and finish has also been trimmed back in that some of the really high end standard features became optional.

As far as fitting into the urban streetscape, all I really hope for is that the travertine marble stays as the exterior cladding around the lobby entrance.

Also no tunnel form construction.....it could have been a net positive when labor costs and LIBOR were high, but now there isn't much incentive to go the speed they once were (they could have gone about 25% faster with tunnel form).

I believe some of the interior fit and finish has also been trimmed back in that some of the really high end standard features became optional.

As far as fitting into the urban streetscape, all I really hope for is that the travertine marble stays as the exterior cladding around the lobby entrance.

That marble was beautiful. I couldn't agree more on the importance of the tiles with a 50+ story residential tower and its impact at ground level.

Damn those balconies look thin...

LOL. Yeah, they seem thin at first. At my place, in The Trademark, I'll jump up and down in front of guests sometimes just to make them nervous.

BTW, Centro AND The Vue people keep advertizing that their buildings are in the Myers Park School district. That's blatantly wrong. They're in West Charlotte's.

I believe it is Myers Park.....it was redistricted about 4 years ago.

Anything but : http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/boe/Documents/Dis...Areas%20Map.pdf

Myers Park is District 5

We originally thought, per Centro, that she'd go to Myers Park. Had she stayed here in Charlotte she would've gone to Garainger per the above map, but at the time she lived here we were told West Charlotte (by CMS)

I find it pretty deceiving of both The Vue and Centro to advertize Myers Park.

Myers Park is District 5

We originally thought, per Centro, that she'd go to Myers Park. Had she stayed here in Charlotte she would've gone to Garainger per the above map, but at the time she lived here we were told West Charlotte (by CMS)

Hopefully, the planned 2nd Ward High School in Uptown will solve this problem. As for the towers, Vue looks like it is close to 24 floors now!!! This tower could top out before the end of the year!!! I hope it doesn't turn into another Park Condo building.

Hopefully, the planned 2nd Ward High School in Uptown will solve this problem. ..
Actually CMS is now faced with a huge money problem. One of the solutions being discussed is school consolidation, not more construction. My guess is there will not be a high school built in 2nd ward.
Maybe this change was made when the districting changes where made to satisfy some of the complaints coming from district 1.

Actually CMS is now faced with a huge money problem. One of the solutions being discussed is school consolidation, not more construction. My guess is there will not be a high school built in 2nd ward.

No doubt that is the trend with CMS right now. Hopefully the stimulus package will be able to alter some of these negative trends over the next few years. School construction has been a major part of the stimulus package, although if I'm not mistaken some of it got cut out in the senate.

No doubt that is the trend with CMS right now. Hopefully the stimulus package will be able to alter some of these negative trends over the next few years. School construction has been a major part of the stimulus package, although if I'm not mistaken some of it got cut out in the senate.

I could be wrong, but I believe all of the $16B allocated to new school construction was taken out in the most recent revision. This is sad considering the dire need for more schools. It is obviously a discussion for another thread, but I can't believe the amount of money schools waste on making sure they have sports facilities (fields for baseball, football, etc.) when the academic allocation falls behind. (If anyone wants to have a discussion on this please do so in a separate thread)

Myers Park is District 5

The map you posted is actually for school boards, not school districts, however it appears you are correct, they did once again shift the line so that now only 1st and 2nd wards are in M.P. and 3rd and 4th are in W.C districts.

Here is the map.

Myers Park map

The map you posted is actually for school boards, not school districts, however it appears you are correct, they did once again shift the line so that now only 1st and 2nd wards are in M.P. and 3rd and 4th are in W.C districts.

Here is the map.

Myers Park map

We found out two years ago, and when we moved downtown in order get our teenager out of East (some personal problems) we double checked the districts....even calling CMS to verify. After learning this I told both Centro and The Vue folks what we had learned. They haven't changed their tune yet. That's why I think it's kind of deceptive. MP is a highly demanded school among the market they're trageting.

Edited by Windsurfer

We found out two years ago, and when we moved downtown in order get our teenager out of East (some personal problems) we double checked the districts....even calling CMS to verify. After learning this I told both Centro and The Vue folks what we had learned. They haven't changed their tune yet. That's why I think it's kind of deceptive. MP is a highly demanded school among the market they're trageting.

If this is true and they are misrepresenting what school districts these properties are in it is much more than just deceptive. It would be willful misrepresentation of a material fact and would put whatever licensed brokers who are passing this on in jeapardy of losing their license. This isn't something that the Real Estate Commission would take lightly. Schools are obviously a big deal to those with kids and someone being told they are in one district when they are in another is a huge no-no.

Great shot....this shot also illustrates one of the more appealing skyline features of The Vue. It rises verticaly from the 5th St. sidewalk, where as Hearst, IJL, and Avenue are all midblock towers. This means that The Vue will visually fill the gap along 5th, where currently no towers are close to the street.

The angle of this photo enhances this affect.

• 4 weeks later...