The Vue

cooperdawg

The only thing I've heard recently is they have had a change in sales staff, they either left or were asked to leave, and some other changes might come with this project -- anyone know anything about this?

From what I hear there is a lot more change in store...it'll be interesting to see this play out.

It was my understanding a month or 2 ago that the hold-up might also have been because the developers use the same concrete forms to build the structural components as they do in all of their "Vue" portfolios & that since the one in Orlando is not finished, the forms have not physically gotten to Charlotte. ???

Thanks for the updates sleightofhand. That helps to explain some of the delays. I do hope it works out, as I was very happy that the Vue was starting. I do think it will really help the upper part of the 4th Ward shed the bad trend that Spectrum started with its J&W Apartments. If 4W can get higher quality towers on its remaining surface lots instead of low quality lowrise projects, I think everyone benefits.

Why have they decided not to use tunnel form? I think that would be the most efficient way to build that type of product.

not an expert in this field, but could it be that tunnel form construction is more expensive to do than what is being done for the other tower projects downtown? I know there's someone in this thread who could probably answer that question.

Also, the Vue will no longer be tunnel form construction.

That is interesting. Last year I asked, on this forum, why everyone said The Vue was so much better in terms of quality than Avenue, and this was one of the primary reasons given. If they eliminate this, how are they justifying their prices being so much higher than other similiar projects? Infinity tub?

Either way, I just want to see this baby going up.

Why have they decided not to use tunnel form? I think that would be the most efficient way to build that type of product.

Without reading back through this thread, I believe the general consensus was that tunnel form was a more expensive way to built a tower which results in a higher quality, ie quieter, building. (that was also less prone to swaying) In other words, the developer was going to go with higher end product so that he could also command higher prices for the building. It would seem that he has backed off the higher quality part, but it's my guess the prices won't be reduced.

Without reading back through this thread, I believe the general consensus was that tunnel form was a more expensive way to built a tower which results in a higher quality, ie quieter, building. (that was also less prone to swaying) In other words, the developer was going to go with higher end product so that he could also command higher prices for the building. It would seem that he has backed off the higher quality part, but it's my guess the prices won't be reduced.

My understanding of tunnel form, which is not much, is that the increase in cost is partly if not mostly due to the cost of the forms, but that this cost is offset by the lower carry cost resulting from the fast paced construction associated with the repetitive nature of the building system. Also, seeing as the developer uses the same forms for each project, he/she would not have to pay for the manufacturing of the forms again. So I'm not sure overall cost is a reason for them not to build with tunnelform. Thoughts?

I do think it will really help the upper part of the 4th Ward shed the bad trend that Spectrum started with its J&W Apartments. If 4W can get higher quality towers on its remaining surface lots instead of low quality lowrise projects, I think everyone benefits.

I was ok with the J&W development. I believe the rotating cynergy of youth offsets the building.

That is interesting. Last year I asked, on this forum, why everyone said The Vue was so much better in terms of quality than Avenue, and this was one of the primary reasons given. If they eliminate this, how are they justifying their prices being so much higher than other similiar projects? Infinity tub?

Either way, I just want to see this baby going up.

At this point, their price per square foot is pretty similar to other project. They are about $450/sf. 300 Tryon is about $500/sf, and One Charlotte starts at about $750/sf.

I agree that there's no longer as big of a difference between this and Novare's projects.....hopefully they will maintain the high-end finishes and some of the common amenities that made is stand out.

Well, height and reputation will bring a lot of that in on their own.

Having the "Name" will help the Vue for the shear fact that it is going to stick out in the skyline rather than blend in like most of the other condos in Charlotte. It's like people in and around Charlotte mostly know which towers Hearst, BoACC, and Wachovia's main tower are. They stick out, eventually people around uptown will know which tower The Vue is just because it will stick out too.

Edited by aussie luke

How do you know that tunnel form construction will no longer be used? I think we need to have facts before potentially false statements are made.

One of the only facts that we know right now is that construction has not started. August 23rd came and went and nothing. Why? The general housing downturn? Trouble with MCL?? Are they really not delivering on the promised amenities? I don't think any of us know the answers to these questions and therefore shouldn't make hard statements unless we are certain that the statements are correct.