The Vue

cooperdawg

I think you guys might be gettting a bit excited about the elimination or possible elimination of the tunnel form construction. Tunnel form construction simply gives a particular order and sequence to how you pour your units. Often times the use of preconstructed tunnel forms no longer becomes an option if the GC can't close on the land that was originally set aside for staging. If it is determined that you can't build your forms within a reasonable distance to your construction site than you might consider building them in the air rather than on the ground. I've made that change twice on projects in the last two and a half years, no big deal.

The thought that Charlotte's Vue would be waiting for the formwork system used in Orlando is not even reasonable. Developers don't purchase formwork systems. When Turner got the project here in Orlando they naturally went after two local concrete proposals to build the tower. One to provide the mix the other to set it. The finishing company that did the forms down here owns their own forms and they are used exclusively here on projects in Orlando (no different than the actual concrete). The placing company that gets awarded your project will come with their own forms (Peri, Doka, etc.).

4 miles is a lot. If possible, I will usually try to assemble forms on my site or an adjacent piece of property, that way if I know we are going to need a Unit A3 for example, the guys know the specs, they build it and I reach down with a crane to lift them into place. Sometimes in a downtown setting you have to build off site and truck them in. What is too far is usually determined by your superintendent and is a function of traffic, street sizes, routes, etc. Typically though, anything over a five or six city blocks is too far.

Edited by orlandonative

How far away is too far? There is a concrete form "factory" at Sugar Creek and Tryon, but I assume that would be too far to haul the pieces (it's about 4 miles) and you would want a lot just a few blocks away.

I was under the impression the forms are constructed on the building itself and the concrete poured in place. Is this not the case?

I think you guys might be gettting a bit excited about the elimination or possible elimination of the tunnel form construction. Tunnel form construction simply gives a particular order and sequence to how you pour your units. Often times the use of preconstructed tunnel forms no longer becomes an option if the GC can't close on the land that was originally set aside for staging. If it is determined that you can't build your forms within a reasonable distance to your construction site than you might consider building them in the air rather than on the ground. I've made that change twice on projects in the last two and a half years, no big deal.

I think what people are concerned about are the cumulative delays, problems, and rumored issues that have surrounded this project. Its' unique look/design/luxury feel for this market really excited a lot of people. Then the weird marketing and tight-lipped sales (for Charlotte -- not saying it doesn't work elsewhere) began and a number of other significant projects were announced and The Vue was no longer the only uptown luxury option around. Then the delays and issues with closing on the land, now rumors of changing quality (perceived or real) and changes in the sales team and others involved...

Just has people concerned that we have another The Park on our hands that might eventually happen but who knows when or the luxury that was so touted by the developer and sales team might be changed. It was the talk and press for this that made the big deal about tunnel form construction -- if that isn't such a big deal, why was it when this was announced?

Again, I personally just want to see this and all projects go up as do the rest of us it seems. Public perception is such an important aspect of any project like this.

I think what people are concerned about are the cumulative delays, problems, and rumored issues that have surrounded this project. Its' unique look/design/luxury feel for this market really excited a lot of people. Then the weird marketing and tight-lipped sales (for Charlotte -- not saying it doesn't work elsewhere) began and a number of other significant projects were announced and The Vue was no longer the only uptown luxury option around. Then the delays and issues with closing on the land, now rumors of changing quality (perceived or real) and changes in the sales team and others involved...

Just has people concerned that we have another The Park on our hands that might eventually happen but who knows when or the luxury that was so touted by the developer and sales team might be changed. It was the talk and press for this that made the big deal about tunnel form construction -- if that isn't such a big deal, why was it when this was announced?

Again, I personally just want to see this and all projects go up as do the rest of us it seems. Public perception is such an important aspect of any project like this.

Any official word on the "August 23rd groundbreaking" of The Vue? I was really hoping this project would be built.

Nothing but the site being fenced off. just like it has been, as far as I know.

I talked with my friend in the sales center this afternoon. She told me that Griffin has put their sign on the fence, and will begin moving equipment on site within the next 10 days. It's going up.

On a separate note, there was a drilling crew on the site of the former Renaissance Place on the corner of 10th and Tryon. Pinkard Collins is advertising space for a 400,000 sq ft office building.

UD

Somebody's gotta say it.

This will be another grassy lot, like Epicurean or the "C" site for years to come. VUE has missed the window of opportunity to for such a large project to be completed and absorbed into the market. Charlotte has held up pretty well, but the housing slump is gaining momentum. If something is built here it will not be a 50 story tower.

Edited by MZT

I'll go on the record and say it will still be built...all 51 stories.....I maintain that with about 90%-95% certainty.

Atlrvr is correct on this matter and I can also say this with certainty. VUE gets built guys.

Unfortunately it will be the last of the 50+ story residential towers built, sorry trump. There is a 50% chance trump will happen, but the chance it will be 70 stories is about 20%.

We are due for a flood of spec office and hotel however so don't be too wary urban junkies. We will still see infill/midrise development and 20+ story residential and office developments. Mixed use is still king inside 277 and thats the way it will continue. Retail is going to happen I know of a number of softgoods/clothing stores being persued for Epicenter and Wachovia. Some of these are chains like BR, and some are regional boutiques like lotus. My soon to be wife and I will be opening a boutique at either the wintergarden, or iveys if we can get the right price. Too bad the epicenter is only really focusing on chains for the time being.

Edited by Guest

Atlrvr is correct on this matter and I can also say this with certainty. VUE gets built guys.

Unfortunately it will be the last of the 50+ story residential towers built, sorry trump. There is a 50% chance trump will happen, but the chance it will be 70 stories is about 20%.

We are due for a flood of spec office and hotel however so don't be too wary urban junkies. We will still see infill/midrise development and 20+ story residential and office developments. Mixed use is still king inside 277 and thats the way it will continue. Retail is going to happen I know of a number of softgoods/clothing stores being persued for Epicenter and Wachovia. Some of these are chains like BR, and some are regional boutiques like lotus. My soon to be wife and I will be opening a boutique at either the wintergarden, or iveys if we can get the right price. Too bad the epicenter is only really focusing on chains for the time being.

Have you heard something about the Trump deal that we don't know yet? Very good news about the retail though. I look forward to be shopping and walking around in uptown more instead have having to drive down to Southpark.

No I haven't heard anything official about trump. I just know the market, and I hear the speculation from the people I know. I could see trump happening in the 40 story range but not the 70 story range. I could be wrong and it would be great if I was, but I just don't see it happening.