Friendly Center & The Shops at Friendly

StevenRocks

and I have a feeling Sears isn't going anywhere,

I'd be really surprised if it did...

Another article I found on the topic mentions that the owners of Friendly Center are looking at other projects and potential to put their interests into, like the Heart of the Triad..

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...6091200^1442474

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for culinary folk: Sur La Table is coming to The Shops at Friendly Center this summer!!

wow some upscale stuff is really coming to Friendly...btw Brooks Brothers is finally open. Hopefully I'll get around to take some photos of the Shops at Friendly...I noticed no one has done it yet.

yeah get some pics! I'm really excited as to what Phase II of the shops (across HT) and Phase II of FC (Behind BB&T) will bring to the center!

This may be just wishful thinking but maybe Nordtroms will open there. High end retailers usually attract other highend retails and the shops already has the likes of Brooks Brothers, which btw is only found in major US cities. Certainly if you were going to build a Nordstroms in Greensboro, it would be the right location/demographics. There is so much "money" in that area, when Wachovia and First Union merged they left both Wachovia branches in Friendly center open and they are side by side which is strange sight to see. Its like having two McDonalds next door to one another.

Edited by cityboi

This may be just wishful thinking but maybe Nordtroms will open there. High end retailers usually attract other highend retails and the shops already has the likes of Brooks Brothers, which btw is only found in major US cities. Certainly if you were going to build a Nordstroms in Greensboro, it would be the right location/demographics. There is so much "money" in that area, when Wachovia and First Union merged they left both Wachovia branches in Friendly center open and they are side by side which is strange sight to see. Its like having two McDonalds next door to one another.

yeah I speculated that in this thread http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...mp;hl=Nordstrom

Neither phase II, however, seems large enough to support a department store the size of a Nordstrom

map_SM.jpg

yeah I speculated that in this thread http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...mp;hl=Nordstrom

Neither phase II, however, seems large enough to support a department store the size of a Nordstrom

map_SM.jpg

I do feel that a major department store could be coming. The Shops at Frendly lack a kind of Belk, Macy's, JC Penny, Norsdtroms kinda store

That PF Changs chinese bistro is a big deal too. You only see that restaurant in MAJOR US markets. But I like how they are adding condos to this development.

Edited by cityboi

I think where the BB&T is going was the most prime real estate for the Nordstrom store though. Thats why I said we might see some changes to Sears in the other thread (despite it being Greensboro's only one - it does look overdue for a remodel at least)...

Sears is totally outdated, at least on the outside. I never see alot of people shop there though.

Sears is totally outdated, at least on the outside. I never see alot of people shop there though.

Yeah, that plain vanilla box of a building sticks out like a sore thumb, that 1973 design has worn thin. The only building more outdated is the Post Office, if anyone wants to know the orignal look of Friendly Center, just look at that post office.

Good news for culinary folk: Sur La Table is coming to The Shops at Friendly Center this summer!!
Impressive. But I wonder if having competition that close by will spell the end for The Extra Ingredient.

The second floor and the tool section are where all the action is at Sears. The fashion departments are there mostly as a convenience.

As for the design of the place, it's a typical Sears of the era. The design was a lot stronger when it had the red panels at the doors.

All in all, I've seen worse, and I'd hate for them to paste crap on it to make it trendy like JCPenney did at Four Seasons. Incompatible bric-a-brac hardly ever make buildings look better.

Any1 have any pics of the Sears at Friendly Center? I've never seen it am and picturing it as being like the Northgate Mall Sears in Durham which is also from the '60's/'70's era and hasn't seen an exterior remodel since built.

It looks more like the old Sears at SouthPark if anything (If you've ever seen that one) rather than the Northgate Mall store. http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2007/01/form...-charlotte.html

Actually, you can see the Sears towards the end of ezcheese's video

here's a drive by of the new bb&t building at friendly

[googlevid]5053670267313719990[/googlevid]

Edited by cantnot

I personally think Sears will either move to another part of the city or shut down. Everytime I drive by there, the parking lot looks alomst empty. It could be prices, because alot of the stuff they sell you can get cheaper elsewhere.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive. But I wonder if having competition that close by will spell the end for The Extra Ingredient.

Seriously?!! They are going to put in a Sur La Table??? Has it been confirmed? Do we have a date?? Can you tell I'm excited???

OMG how exciting is that????!!!!! :tough:

I went and took some photos America's largerest Harris Teeter is also located here. Its nicknamed "The tajmaheeter" I wanted to take tons more photos but my battery power ran out on my camera.

Brooks Brothers (The Triad's first major upscale retailer)

shops1.jpg

shops2.jpg

shops3.jpg

shops4.jpg

shops5.jpg

shops6.jpg

shops7.jpg

shops8.jpg

shops9.jpg

shops10.jpg

shops11.jpg

shops12.jpg