Metropolitan Park Apartments - Construction

daniel nudnik

I can't believe this had almost jumped to the second page already. Here are some updates from today:

397841687_daf895880b_b.jpg

397841692_fd95a9d32d_b.jpg

They even had blinds hanging in some of the windows, and I could see interior doors and hardware inside so they've got to be just wrapping up. They also have the gate installed on the parking area as well.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit that I never liked the look of this building when I saw the renderings, but now that its built I'm really liking it. I like the translucent glass in what I assume is the stair wells. It looks nice with the mix of brick buildings and Purple East type buildings on Ionia. The only thing is I wish it were taller.

It looks less bad than the renderings. I really like the first photo, not for the building, but for the long streetscape perspective. Imagine how cool Ionia could be with just a little more infill and lots of storefronts. We've discussed the homeless problem quite a bit in another thread, but I think if there is any retail center downtown the Heartside district really could be it. It has long streets with welcoming storefront type buildings. Ionia, Commerce, and Division could all be lined with stores. The more central downtown area has many buildings without good storefronts (read: brick walls) that would make it more difficult to get the critical mass for a shopping area together.

I would love to see more apartments of this type downtown, not only in terms of style, but of income level. As we see, there is a market, and the building doesn't have to be totally high end to look nice. And the biggest plus is that it gets more people downtown, moving us ever closer to that critical mass needed for retail, mass transit, more vibrancy, etc. ;)

Yes, I totally agree; the use of the words "low income" was not the best, IMO. It make the think look like public housing, which it is not and is very unfair to the people who will live there. While "low income" may accuratly describe the amount of income someone has, it has too many negative connotations.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived