Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

I think it's either very doable if you're flexible, and tough if you're very picky.

We are so far from picky that I don't think there's a word for it. And we have a week to spend looking -- numero uno on the list. And stop by that gelato bar on Federal Hill (the name escapes me now, but not the memory of the coffee ice cream).

My memory is a little vague (it's been a year since our last stomp around), but I was thinking that Fox Point was a little suburban or was that the other side of it? Anyway, anything along a bus line that's reasonably safe is okay by me. I was just really worried about the competition and the rental stock. I'd like to keep the rent under $1500 a month for something roomy enough that won't lead to divorce court.

Thanks pix, I feel better now. I've been longing to get back east for so long, I fear I am inventing obstacles. :wacko:

Meg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are so far from picky that I don't think there's a word for it. And we have a week to spend looking -- numero uno on the list. And stop by that gelato bar on Federal Hill (the name escapes me now, but not the memory of the coffee ice cream).

My memory is a little vague (it's been a year since our last stomp around), but I was thinking that Fox Point was a little suburban or was that the other side of it? Anyway, anything along a bus line that's reasonably safe is okay by me. I was just really worried about the competition and the rental stock. I'd like to keep the rent under $1500 a month for something roomy enough that won't lead to divorce court.

Thanks pix, I feel better now. I've been longing to get back east for so long, I fear I am inventing obstacles. :wacko:

Meg

Federal Hill, baby. you can get a big apartment (a condo even!) for less than $1500 and you can walk to Jessie's or Cafe Dolce Vita or which ever one where you got the gelato.

I've seen some tasty apts on craigslist lately for Fed Hill.

Federal Hill, baby. you can get a big apartment (a condo even!) for less than $1500 and you can walk to Jessie's or Cafe Dolce Vita or which ever one where you got the gelato.

I've seen some tasty apts on craigslist lately for Fed Hill.

Did they end up building those bocce courts I was reading about awhile back? :w00t:

Urb

This neighborhood (Summit) has the East Side's best balance of affordability, commercial vibrancy, walkability, etc. Assuming you are renting, there are a lot of options in the $1000-$1200 range for half a two-family. Its very dog-friendly, especially good for walking your dog.

The dog park situation is a little more problematic on the East Side. The Brown Street location behind Hope High School is not an official dog park, though the Parks Dept has agreed to allow it to continue for the time being. Henderson Park on Waterman is supposed to be developed as a dog park this Spring, per the Projo.

Although I'm a Summit/Oak Hill proponent, its not for everyone, and I'd also recommend the Armory, the West End, and Darlington in Pawtucket, depending on what you're looking for.

So how about if you're looking for a studio apartment in this hood? What would be a fair price to expect? I like the dog friendly aspect of this hood as you describe it? Is it easy to access downtown Providence? Or how far is the train station to head up to Boston for commute?

It better be livable becasue its where I live :P

what is your idea of livable?

there's apartments and some condos already available downtown. it lacks some amenities of other neighborhoods (like a grocery store and full service pharmacy), but other than that it's pretty livable if you ask me...

A question about parking is inappropriate? What?

Questions about the procurement of goods and services are generally not allowed as we have advertisers that pay us to help keep this site free to our members. It's a grey area though.

Questions about the procurement of goods and services are generally not allowed as we have advertisers that pay us to help keep this site free to our members. It's a grey area though.

Off topic: So did I technically violate the rules when I asked for help in finding a plumber? How about our restaurant topic board?

- Garris

PS: To keep this on topic, I think it would be rare to find a Studio in Summit, although members who live there may be able to tell you differently. It tends to be more multifamily homes and condos. I agree that it's one of the few areas of Providence with a good mix of livability, walkability to a vibrant retail core (not to mention a library branch and ballet company), and affordability. All it lacks is a market. It it had that, there would be no reason to use a car there at all. It's nearly as "complete" a neighborhood as Wayland Square, but its prices are 25-50% lower. Still a hugely affordable neighborhood for what it offers. It I hadn't found the bargain I did in Wayland Sq, that's where I would have ended up living.

Off topic: So did I technically violate the rules when I asked for help in finding a plumber? How about our restaurant topic board?

Technically, yes. But the grey area is my discretion, i.e. I get to let long time, contributing members slide if I feel like it. What we don't want to encourage is people signing up just to ask a random, "where do I...?" question and treating our members like 411. If established members want to ask something like that, I allow it usually. The big taboo is real estate, and parking falls under real estate. Giving an opinion on a neighbourhoood: Fine. Giving the name of a realtor: Bad.

The restaurant thread is fine, restaurants should expect to be commented on, advertiser or no.

So how about if you're looking for a studio apartment in this hood? What would be a fair price to expect? I like the dog friendly aspect of this hood as you describe it? Is it easy to access downtown Providence? Or how far is the train station to head up to Boston for commute?

In Summit, there is very little apartment stock, as in buildings with 10+ units. There are a few older small apartment buildings around, but rental here is dominated by two-families (up/down or side/side) for about $1200/month, that gets you 1000-1200 sq. ft.

I imagine there is some price variability as rental stock seems to be high right now (judging by the number of For Rent signs in Summit, anyway). But I'm not that close to the pricing beyond the live-rent landlords on my block.

Perception of "easy access to Downtown" depends on how long you've been in Rhode Island ! The bus is 11 minutes to Kennedy Plaza in the middle of downtown. A bike ride takes me 15 minutes or so, car about the same.

For the commute to Boston, you can catch the MBTA or Amtrak from downtown Prov station, which is a 10 minute walk from the buses at Kennedy Plaza. The station is a little closer to the East Side, so you can get there on bike quicker. There is underground parking at the Providence station, but I've never parked there so can't vouch for availability. Alternatively you can drive to South Attleboro (10-15 mins) and park in the surface lot there for $3, but it always feels weird to get on a highway, get off, and then get on a train !

Edited by citybuilder

the parking lot in S. Attleboro is now free?!

Helllll no. It's up to three bucks now. And you can attempt to park at the shopping plaza and avoid paying, but they'll tow your car in an instant if its there over a certain amount of time.

Helllll no. It's up to three bucks now. And you can attempt to park at the shopping plaza and avoid paying, but they'll tow your car in an instant if its there over a certain amount of time.

Since I believe it was you who recommended the shopping plaza parking option, should I assume you got towed? :shok:

- Garris

Since I believe it was you who recommended the shopping plaza parking option, should I assume you got towed? :shok:

- Garris

Ha, no, I recommended parking at the State House or the RIDOT lot instead of paying to park at the mall. My friend got towed in S. Attleboro last week though.

Doh ! Apologies for posting inaccurate info, and thanks for the update. I guess last time I parked at South Attleboro, I must have neglected to park in the correct pay lot. :blush:

Doh ! Apologies for posting inaccurate info, and thanks for the update. I guess last time I parked at South Attleboro, I must have neglected to park in the correct pay lot. :blush:

the T has shared parking in a few places. It used to be that you could get away with not paying for the T parking. This stopped about two years ago in S. Attleboro and has been stopping in other areas as well. I am guessing that the T used to subsidize these people but stopped doing so. Now all the places consider any piece of real estate that isn't expressly owned by the T to be a battleground. For instance, if you take the red line into Boston from Quincy Adams, there is a garage which gets full most work days. Right next to the garage is a 600 space parking lot with a Home Depot. You used to be able to park here as an overflow lot. Now, they have video cameras everywhere and if you leave your car there it is towed inside of an hour, even though the Home Depot uses about 20% of the lot. I asked about this and was basically told that the T's lease on the extra spots ran out and they refused to renew it so Home Depot just decided to get all pissy. Of course, the people hurt the most are the consumer and it means that dozens of people everyday now end up driving into work instead of taking the T since they can't park their car anymore, and there is a huge sea of parking that goes completely unutilized.

the T has shared parking in a few places. It used to be that you could get away with not paying for the T parking. This stopped about two years ago in S. Attleboro and has been stopping in other areas as well. I am guessing that the T used to subsidize these people but stopped doing so. Now all the places consider any piece of real estate that isn't expressly owned by the T to be a battleground. For instance, if you take the red line into Boston from Quincy Adams, there is a garage which gets full most work days. Right next to the garage is a 600 space parking lot with a Home Depot. You used to be able to park here as an overflow lot. Now, they have video cameras everywhere and if you leave your car there it is towed inside of an hour, even though the Home Depot uses about 20% of the lot. I asked about this and was basically told that the T's lease on the extra spots ran out and they refused to renew it so Home Depot just decided to get all pissy. Of course, the people hurt the most are the consumer and it means that dozens of people everyday now end up driving into work instead of taking the T since they can't park their car anymore, and there is a huge sea of parking that goes completely unutilized.

Hmmm... So that means the cost of commuting into Boston is ~$200/month for the T pass, plus $3 a day to park... $260/month or so?

Urb

Would you just come back east already!? :P

If you have at least one eye open between July 18th and 25th, you'll probably spot a crazy girl with coffee ice cream stains down her shirt, waving her checkbook at "For Rent" signs in many of Providence's more charming neighborhoods.

Oh, I'll be there within a week of Labor Day. Bank on it :shades:

Meg