Thinking about moving to Providence?

Cotuit

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it was something like $22 and change, but they only taxed 50% of the assessed value before. now it's $23.70 and it's on 100% of the assessed value. That's about a 100% increase.

my wife and i have been looking at houses and can't wait to buy. however, it's not looking like we can afford anything in providence, even with the housing market where it is, if the taxes really are that high. i'm hoping it's still at 50% of the assessed value, otherwise, north providence, here we come!

Not according to what I've read and learned from the guy at RI Housing. Homestead is 15%. The actual tax rates listed on the RI Living link I posted above had said 50% (not including the homestead). If I have time later, I'll try giving the tax assessor's office a call. If that's really the new rate, I can't afford to buy a home in Providence (which would mean neither can most middle class residents), unless I buy a beat up foreclosure for $80k.

EDIT: here's what RI Living's tax page says for the 2007/2008:

Providence (h) $22.84 50%

and for the 2008/2009:

Providence (h) $23.70 100%

that's more than double what it used to be. i assume it's a mistake, but it's there in writing and on the assessor's DB site as well.

Not terrific. I would have her move in a little closer to downtown. That area, Tobey and Almy have been in recent past, a major drug thoroughfare. The Column is a nice area (the little stretch between carpenter and Broadway) and on the other side of broadway near Kenyon Street.

This is a great suggestion. In addition to having more of a gentle transition, there's also more reasonable rents for the quality of the unit when compared to the east side. If you live near Chalkstone, but north of it (south of it gets a little sketchy) east of Academy, it's a pretty walkable area with lots of restaurants, markets, laundry, and bars. You get the best of both worlds (quiet suburbia and a little urban as well). I don't know what's for rent, but there are a lot of 2 and 3 family homes on River Ave, along Pleasant Valley Parkway, and on Academy Ave.

I actually just bought a house (or am in the process) in that area. It's really nice and while Chalkstone can be noisy, just half a block north of it is nice and quiet.

Edited by Jenkins

It is my niece's first urban experience for sure, although her roommate has lived all over Europe (army kid). I will mention the Elmhurst thing to them, although they both work in Mass. off 95, so elmhurst may be a bit inconvenient for them. In fact I was seriously considering elmhurst when I was first looking in Providence, but it just added too much to my commute versus being in the north end (right off exit 25). I really liked what I saw of elmhurst, though.

There are a lot of appartments and houses for rent near PC I have noticed this year. Traditionally students rent these units but there are now appartment style dorms on campus and so many of the off campus houses are available. I would look on Huxley, River, Eaton, or Smith St. the bus also travels down and around campus so you are not that far from the bus line.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

So I grew up on the East Side of Providence, and after living elsewhere have been back in PVD since 2004. First, my wife and I (at the time just dating) lived in an apt. on Brook St & Wickenden. In 2006 we bought a townhouse in the Arm0ry district. We love where we live for a lot of reasons - tons of friendly neighbors our age, diversity, enough services and new businesses within walking distance, affordability, etc. But now that we have a 2 year old and a second child on the way this summer, my wife is longing for a yard and a bit of a different neighborhood. I am a city person, who appreciates the need to get out of the city on a semi-regular basis. We go to the beaches in RI, and to the local parks (Lincoln Woods, RW, etc.) My wife is not as much of a city person, now that we have a young family. Providence is a good compromise for us though, because of its proximity to other geographic areas - woods, beaches, mountains, family on Cape Cod...

My task now, is to research neighborhoods in PVD or immediately surrounding, where we could both be happy. We can't necessarily sell right now, but I just want to do some exploring. Although I know parts of the city very well, other parts I only know from passing through at best. The East Side would be ideal (for us and everyone else I'm sure), but it's too expensive. I wish I could just move into the house on Meeting St that I grew up in, but unfortunately my parents sold it almost a decade ago. Hope village would be great - walk to tons of restaurants and businesses, nice housing stock, yards, pretty safe, and easily accessed from 95 and points north. After a quick look on Zillow, I didn't see many properties for sale.

My wife likes where we live now on Sycamore St. but feels like it's better suited for us without kids, and doesn't want to buy again in this neighborhood. This would rule out Elmwood for the same reasons (even though there are some great properties in the historic section, and at great value....)

So the neighborhoods I want to know more about, are Smith Hill, Elmhurst, and maybe some of the surrounding areas - Mount Pleasant, Wanskuck, Charles, Mount Hope, etc. What do people think about the best places to find single-family homes in the low 200,000s, with a yard, walkable amenities, safe, clean, etc.? I liked Fox Point to an extent, but there isn't much for sale there. I think the far east side (Wayland) is probably too expensive. Parts of the east side near Miriam might be ok, but also expensive unless you're near some of the shadier areas around Camp St. - or maybe the reputation there is changing.

Outside of Providence, I could live in Pawtuxet (not a ton for sale, and the stuff closest to the village is a little pricier, and I will only live there if I can walk to the village); Wickford center is great, but that would be too long a commute for me; I could live in East Providence because of its proximity to PVD and there are plenty of amenities - but I don't know if there are many neighborhoods pertfectly suited for young families. I'd love to live in one of the new developments on the water where the brownfields sites are, but they're just in planning stages. Can anyone here recommend places in EP?

I always get way too long-winded, but if anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it. These boards are LOT quieter than a few years ago, but I know you're all still out there. Thanks...

Edited by Griswald

So the neighborhoods I want to know more about, are Smith Hill, Elmhurst, and maybe some of the surrounding areas - Mount Pleasant, Wanskuck, Charles, Mount Hope, etc. What do people think about the best places to find single-family homes in the low 200,000s, with a yard, walkable amenities, safe, clean, etc.? I liked Fox Point to an extent, but there isn't much for sale there. I think the far east side (Wayland) is probably too expensive. Parts of the east side near Miriam might be ok, but also expensive unless you're near some of the shadier areas around Camp St. - or maybe the reputation there is changing.

Jim - thanks a lot for the info. It does sound like Elmhurst has a lot to offer. The only part of that area I know best is Whitford Ave, where some friends of mine lived and still own property. There are some nice neighborhood streets around there, and you attest to the walkability and amenities nearby.

Some of the negatives you mention are experienced in my neighborhood as well - horn-honking (haven't heard a 20-min long one yet), bad driving in general (speeding etc.), and litter are the things that bother me the most. People can not seem to keep trash in their bins, and some people don't care about trash on their property. The demographic is pretty similar to Elhurst it sounds. I like the diversity too, but I think some of the other cultures have different values than I do - when it comes to noise and cleanliness.

In talking to my wife, it sounds like she really wants to make our next move out of the city, unless it were the East Side proper (College Hill, Wayland), or the Hope St area near Rochambeau. So unless a recruiter calls me up and offers to double what I'm making, or we find a complete fixer-upper, things aren't looking good for me. I could do East Providence or Pawtuxet, but I don't know what 'hood in EP has everything I'm looking for, and Pawtuxet is either a bit expensive or there just aren't many great properties for sale.

Thanks for the info again - I think I need to drive wifey through Elmhurst to give her a better idea of the area - she's judging it without really knowing it... but mainly because she wants out of the city. I have to find a compromise, because I'm not ready for rural living, and I'll sooner die than live in the 'burbs. At least she knows that much... Thanks

Definitely bring her through Elmhurst. Specifically, bring her through these particular areas. While these areas might border each other, each has a different feel in my opinion. I live on Grosvenor, which is close to Chalkstone and more similar to your neighborhood. These other areas are quieter, less diverse (or at least lack the "cultures" that like their streets littered and their music loud enough to hear 3 blocks away).

The area surrounded by Smith St to the north (or even Wabun or Whitford to the north), River Ave to the east, Academy Ave to the west, and Pleasant Valley Pkwy to the south. This is my favorite area of Elmhurst. We almost bought a house here, but it was too much house for us and just out of our price range (we were looking for a purchase price of no more than $200k).

The area surrounded by Eaton St to the north, Hilltop Ave to the east, River Ave to the west, and Smith St to the south. This is close to PC, but very few, if any, students actually live in that area.

The area surrounded by Admiral St and Isabella Ave to the north, River Ave to the East, Gentian and Smith to the west, and Eaton St to the south. I used to live in this area on Sharon St.

All of Gentian is also pretty nice until the very end near Admiral St. The area between Smith St and Mount Pleasant Ave south of where they intersect and north of LaSalle Academy is also nice, but with few walkable amenities. The area between Mount Pleasant Ave and Academy Ave just south of LaSalle is, again nice, but not quite as nice as the 3 areas I mentioned above. In those 3 areas, you'll find lots of young families on those areas. I don't know of you guys use RIPTA at all, but the beauty of Elmhurst is the peace and quiet and the close proximity to the bus routes in pretty much the whole neighborhood. It's a great neighborhood for people who want the amenities of the city but the quiet and roominess of the suburbs (though it's not as roomy as going to the outer suburbs).