Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dtown, didn't you read my post in the Book Tower, thread? I posted all of the information about the garage. In fact, I'm pretty sure you posted in that thread after my post.

BTW, there are hundreds of underground garages around the country, so air circulation shouldn't be a problem. They are engineered with all of those things in mind, or they couldn't be built due to safety issues.

Edited by Lmichigan

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon I noticed the shorter building next to the Vinton bldg had a new fancy lighting scheme on the front of it and what looked like renovations happening on the upper floors. Does anyone know what is going on here? I could not tell if it was connected on the inside with the vinton or not, but it was clear that construction was taking place.

• 2 weeks later...

Dodge the Lodge is a huge pain for those of us who live in Detroit and work in Southfield. There is no good way to get from my house in SW Detroit to Southfield. I've been trying different routes to school for the past 2 weeks, but no matter what way I go, my commute is going from 25 minutes to 40+. :angry:

I actually like the cheese grater better. At least you can't find it in the suburbs as ugly as it is. Take the spire and the slope off, and One Kennedy Square might as well be in Southfield Town Center or somewhere along Big Beaver. lol

Still, I guess its better that when E & Y moved out of Comerica Tower they didn't leave the city, altogether. But, that still means the city is playing a game of 'musical offices.' I wonder when we're ever going to see a healthy office market in the Metro again? It's not just Detroit that's hurting in terms of the office market, but the whole area.

Edited by Lmichigan

tbh, I like the cheese grader. I don't like where it is (I think it would have been better to the west a little, or maybe in midtown or new center), but I like it. I think it's one of the best goofy 60's buildings around. I think One Woodward Avenue is one of the best normal 60's buildings around, which I like quite a bit.

Does anyone know the history of the State Fairgrounds Colosseum? I attended the Wayne State hockey game there tonight and I was very curious about this building. I know it is currently a 5,500 seat ice rink. But what was it used for before this? Did it serve a purpose directly relating to the fair back in the day?

More of a rhetorical question, but what's with Detroit not having much defined (marked) street parking downtown, and no defined street parking in much of the rest of the city? I don't know why, but this always throws me off. lol You'd think a city with so much parking would be so incredibly detailed about their parking.