Detroit Off Topic

Allan

If a department store took the risk and set up shop downtown, i think it would pay dividends. I think a lot of the people who are coming dowtown for baseball and football games would see the store and want to look around. Then, if they see that the store has a larger selection and more things that are hard to find than a typical mall department store, they will want to come back. Then if the store was sucessful, it could be an anchor for other downtown retail. This could lead that part of downtown to be similar to Michigan Ave in Chicago, only on a smaller scale.

I can dream anyway.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LMich, you make it seem as if Detroit's poverty rate is an anomoly. Just because it's actual number puts it at number 2, doesn't change the fact that most cities have poverty rates betweeen 20% and 30%.

In fact if you listed all of the cities who's poverty rate was within 10% of Detroit, you'd get Dallas, Boston, Baltimore, Houston, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Memphis, Fresno, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Newark, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Buffalo, Atlanta, El Paso, Miami, and Cleveland. And that only includes cities with at least 250,000 people.

Even Chicago, Minneapolis, and Los Angeles have poverty rates greater than 20%

The reality is that by calling Detroit "the second-most poverty-stricken city in the nation" isn't as bad as it sounds. Shaving just 9.4% off the rate would completely drop it out of the Top 20. Granted to drop out of the Top 20, the city would have to bring 80,000 people above the poverty line, but you get the point.

Edited by hudkina

Kinda a random question, but hey- that seems to be my niche around here!

I'm getting married in June of '07. My fiance and I are having some pictures taken next week. The photographer asked for 3-4 potential locations. Both of us are urban enthusiasts, and Detroit city residents. What places might you suggest? We've already considered the riverfront and a few locations at Belle Isle.

Any other city gems that you guys can think of?

LMich, you make it seem as if Detroit's poverty rate is an anomoly. Just because it's actual number puts it at number 2, doesn't change the fact that most cities have poverty rates betweeen 20% and 30%.

In fact if you listed all of the cities who's poverty rate was within 10% of Detroit, you'd get Dallas, Boston, Baltimore, Houston, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Memphis, Fresno, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Newark, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Buffalo, Atlanta, El Paso, Miami, and Cleveland. And that only includes cities with at least 250,000 people.

Even Chicago, Minneapolis, and Los Angeles have poverty rates greater than 20%

The reality is that by calling Detroit "the second-most poverty-stricken city in the nation" isn't as bad as it sounds. Shaving just 9.4% off the rate would completely drop it out of the Top 20. Granted to drop out of the Top 20, the city would have to bring 80,000 people above the poverty line, but you get the point.

How did I make is sound like an anamoly? I even made the point of showing how the numbers between Cleveland and Detroit are nearly identical. You're reading way too far into it (as usual). There is nothing to celebrate about a 20% poverty rate or a 30% poverty rate, and I never implied otherwise. My point was that happy being #2 instead of #1 is not an appropriate reaction to 30% of the population in poverty rate.

Edited by Lmichigan

It dropped 1% or something ridiculous like that to 31% instead of 32%, and is still number two for large American cities. That is nothing to celebrate about.

It just seems like you are viewing being second on the list as a huge embarrasment. Like being #20 on the list would be something to be proud about, but in reality the difference between #2 and #20 isn't that large.

It just seems like you are viewing being second on the list as a huge embarrasment. Like being #20 on the list would be something to be proud about, but in reality the difference between #2 and #20 isn't that large.

Sorry you read that into that, Hud.

Does anyone know who designed the Hecker House/Mansion in Midtown on Woodward?

So who else is losing hair due to this Tigers collapse?

Very reminescent to the 2003 Minnesota Vikings

I was pissed that they stopped the game so late into the rain last night. It was clear that the rain was the reason we allowed 2 runs. I'm just glad my seats were under cover. :lol:

As long as we split the upcoming series with Minnesota, I think we should be alright. I dont see Chicago getting back into it, unless their pitching really turns around.

I was also at the game yesterday. It was a good game and the city was extra beautiful for some reason. Being in the upperdeck(which wasn't that bad) I got to experience the upper concourse for the first time. When it was raining, I went out to the concourse and there was an amazing sky over Midtown. I believe I have a picture. I will probably post it later.

Why didn't Santiago turn the double play that allowed the winning run in? Also, can't Infante do more than a popup to end the game?

BTW, the Garden Lofts seem to be coming along nicely. How much are they going for? My dad was wondering.

Most of them have some sort of central business district, though Wyandotte by far has the largest downtown in the area. Trenton is a distant second, though it has a pretty unique downtown as well.

Wyandotte for a while was the second-largest city in Wayne County and it has a beautiful historic downtown to show for it.

wyandotte.jpg

Trenton has an old, historic downtown, but the biggest attraction is Elizabeth Park.

trenton.jpg

Flat Rock has a small downtown with a nice riverfront park. Rockwood has an old village center, but I wouldn't call it a downtown.

flatrockwood.jpg

Allen Park has a nice little downtown. Lincoln Park has a quasi-downtown at the intersection of Fort and Southfield, though many of the storefronts sit empty. Melvindale has an older retail strip along Oakwood Blvd near Allen Rd. The city has cleaned up the streetscape.

aplpmd.jpg

Belleville has a lively downtown and is increasingly becoming more like her bigger sisters to the north (Plymouth and Northville).

belleville.jpg

Ecorse and in particular River Rouge have beauitful historic buildings lining Jefferson, though both downtowns have seen better days.

ecorserouge.jpg

New Boston is a small village with a few older homes and shops. The biggest attraction is Gibb's Ice Cream shop which has been around for well over 100 years.

newboston.jpg

Truthfully, I've never been to Romulus' old village, so I don't know what it is like.

romulus.jpg

If you want to take a tour, here's a suggested route. (Keep in mind that the area covered is pretty extensive!)

Basically all you do is take Huron River Dr from Romulus to West Jefferson. You'll pass through Romulus, New Boston, Flat Rock, and Rockwood. Once you reach Jefferson you can take that north all the way to River Rouge. (If you want you can take a detour along Gibraltar Rd through the city of Gibraltar, though there really isn't a downtown.) You'll pass through Trenton, Wyandotte, Ecorse, and River Rouge. From there you can take Oakwood Blvd to Allen Rd where you'll find Melvindale. Take Allen Rd down to Southfield where you'll find Allen Park. And lastly, take Southfield Rd to Fort St where you'll find Lincoln Park.

downriver.jpg

That basketball movie that was filmed in the MCS months ago finally came out. My friend went to see the movie, Crossover, the other day. It ended up being an incredible waste of time. His advice: wait until you can rent it so that you can skip through everything that isn't the MCS.

That basketball movie that was filmed in the MCS months ago finally came out. My friend went to see the movie, Crossover, the other day. It ended up being an incredible waste of time. His advice: wait until you can rent it so that you can skip through everything that isn't the MCS.

I agree 100%. The movie had a really bad storyline that jumped around way too much.