Greater Spartanburg Projects & Developments

Spartan

The former ZL Madden school site (15.5 acres) is for sale for $1.55M.  A lot of potential here.  Unfortunately, it is 4 houses / 250 feet from City limits, so non-contiguous.  Though, if developed commercially, it should still eventually be required to annex via Water agreement. 

ZLMaddenmap.thumb.jpg.8bb4028d2c42c92803f71ef4807bc16c.jpg

BTW, how many properties have been annexed in that way since the agreement was signed?  It's frustrating to see Greenville be so aggressive with annexation while we seem to sit idle. 

It also appears that the 1017 Florida site never had final reading for annexation (it doesn't show as within City limits on GIS).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Apparently the Pepsi plant redevelopment on the Southside is still on the table.  This P&C article says the current building will be demolished this summer, but that there could potentially be zoning issues that could complicate or prevent the new manufacturing facility that's planned there.  And it's another M Peters project, and they have yet to deliver anything they've planned to build in Spartanburg.  Also, I wish we would only demolish things when we had 100% confirmation of redevelopment.  I'd hate to see this sit as an empty lot (would be worse than the current perfectly good building, IMO).

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:11 PM, westsider28 said:

The former ZL Madden school site (15.5 acres) is for sale for $1.55M.  A lot of potential here.  Unfortunately, it is 4 houses / 250 feet from City limits, so non-contiguous.  Though, if developed commercially, it should still eventually be required to annex via Water agreement. 

ZLMaddenmap.thumb.jpg.8bb4028d2c42c92803f71ef4807bc16c.jpg

BTW, how many properties have been annexed in that way since the agreement was signed?  It's frustrating to see Greenville be so aggressive with annexation while we seem to sit idle. 

It also appears that the 1017 Florida site never had final reading for annexation (it doesn't show as within City limits on GIS).

Both Greenville and Spartanburg annexed virtually nothing for like 40-50 years. It's a long play, but I could see the city eventually annexing up to Business 85 along Asheville Hwy. 

The challenge both cities face is that there are relatively few benefits of being in the city thanks to the special purpose districts surrounding the cities. Charleston has done a better job of reducing the need for SPD's, but the Upstate is rife with them.

11 hours ago, Spartan said:

Both Greenville and Spartanburg annexed virtually nothing for like 40-50 years. It's a long play, but I could see the city eventually annexing up to Business 85 along Asheville Hwy. 

The challenge both cities face is that there are relatively few benefits of being in the city thanks to the special purpose districts surrounding the cities. Charleston has done a better job of reducing the need for SPD's, but the Upstate is rife with them.

Charleston passed the Local Option Sales Tax in 1990 and that made city taxes lower than taxes in the SPD's.  That has been the key difference. Florence and Sumter also experienced dramatically more annexations from passing the LOST.   

I don't know for sure, because I don't live within city limits, but it's my understanding that water rates and insurance rates are lower in the City.

Also, Greenville has dramatically increased annexations recently (see: Cherrydale shopping center).  It partially comes down to whether city council / staff make it a priority to push for (which GVL clearly has, and Spartanburg seemingly has not).

On 3/4/2024 at 4:14 PM, roads-scholar said:

Does anyone know what's being constructed on Blackstock Road a bit north of the mall.  It appears to be a fairly decent size hotel but I haven't seen or heard anything about it.  

Finally found out what this is.  It's an ECHO Suites (extended stay by Wyndham).  124 rooms; should open in June or July.

• Thanks 1