PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

I wouldn't mind a ginormous CVS in downtown Pawtucket if it were actually built to be pedestrian friendly. Something along the lines of the CVS at the corner of Newport and Armistice without all the parking and blank walls would even suffice.

Up until a few years ago, there was a CVS in downtown Pawtucket. It was on the small side, though. I don't know why it closed, but I'm sure not having a parking lot didn't help.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard C. Davis who is executive director of the Pawtucket Foundation has submitted a letter to the editor @ projo.

THE PAWTUCKET FOUNDATION, a nonprofit entity, launched in 2002 an effort to bring back passenger-rail transportation to the historic Pawtucket /Central Falls Train Station centered on the adaptive reuse of the station and restoring train service to Boston, to T.F. Green Airport, and other present and future Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority destinations.

http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/...HB.1d9e25c.html

Richard C. Davis who is executive director of the Pawtucket Foundation has submitted a letter to the editor @ projo.

THE PAWTUCKET FOUNDATION, a nonprofit entity, launched in 2002 an effort to bring back passenger-rail transportation to the historic Pawtucket /Central Falls Train Station centered on the adaptive reuse of the station and restoring train service to Boston, to T.F. Green Airport, and other present and future Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority destinations.

http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/...HB.1d9e25c.html

Should the economic future of two Rhode Island communities be placed at risk for the sake of 17 parking spaces?

PROJO: "CVS offers compromise plan to preserve train station"

http://www.projo.com/business/content/BZ_T...93.21adbe0.html

Carcieri got in touch with Ryan at the request of Doyle, who said he concluded that the only way to save the train station was to bring CVS to the table.

Shouldn't this have happened from the beginning? Couldn't Carcieri have stepped in earlier? Should he get credit for stepping in now or be criticized for waiting until the problem got to this size?

Should he get credit for stepping in now or be criticized for waiting until the problem got to this size?

I think both. He should be praised and thanked for recognizing the importance of the structure from both a historical and transportation viewpoint. But also criticized for being so slow to react. He has been saying some things about the importance of transit, but thus far has failed to show us the money so to speak. When he does something right in that regard he should told he's done good, but reminded he has not thus far done enough.

it's my opinion that the governor should have only gotten involved with this in regards to the mass transit aspect. the cities should be able to work something out among themselves. if the governments of the 2 cities can't agree on something, then maybe the state can mediate, but as far as the general development is concerned, the state should keep it's nose out of it.

however, at this point, i think it's obvious the 2 cities are not going to work together with the developer and/or CVS, so it's a good thing the state has gotten involved now. i would not criticize carcieri for not getting involved sooner.

"73 parking spaces and drive-thru window are required". Required by who? CVS or Pawtucket zoning? It is mind bogglingly ridiculous that a CVS would need 73 parking spaces in a friggen downtown. :angry:

it's required by CVS. i don't know why. that's really the dumbest thing. like i've said before, i have never been to a CVS and seen the parking lot full (except the one on admiral st, which i think shares the lot with the place next door, which is i think a car stereo/alarm place and atomic salon). and i've never seen anyone use the drive thru at a pharmacy. even the busy world's largest CVS in wakefield doesn't fill their lot in the summer. 73 spaces is overkill.

The main reason I would criticize Carcieri is that all it really took was a 5 minute phone call to Tom Ryan.

I have to assume that Pawtucket tried to get in touch with CVS at many points before this to no avail. I say this because CVS has had no official representation at any of the hearings.

it's required by CVS. i don't know why. that's really the dumbest thing. like i've said before, i have never been to a CVS and seen the parking lot full (except the one on admiral st, which i think shares the lot with the place next door, which is i think a car stereo/alarm place and atomic salon). and i've never seen anyone use the drive thru at a pharmacy. even the busy world's largest CVS in wakefield doesn't fill their lot in the summer. 73 spaces is overkill.

The one on Hope St. was pretty close to full when I walked by yesterday -- they don't have a drive-through, however.

Urb

The one on Hope St. was pretty close to full when I walked by yesterday -- they don't have a drive-through, however.

Urb

but do they have 73 spaces? for comparison, the one on admiral that i have seen full has in the 20-30 range (just a rough estimate from my head, as i'm boycotting CVS over this whole thing and just using the walgreens across the street). and like i said, i think this CVS shares the lot (legally or not, they share it).

Despite their best efforts, the one on Hope St. is used by a lot of people going to other places in that immediate area.

The one on Broad Street is very busy pretty much 24-7, has about 50 spots probably (some of which are shared), and NEVER comes close to being full...

The one on Broad Street is very busy pretty much 24-7, has about 50 spots probably (some of which are shared), and NEVER comes close to being full...

i think that one even got a parking variance. I know that one got about 25 variances and i assume parking was one.

but do they have 73 spaces? for comparison, the one on admiral that i have seen full has in the 20-30 range (just a rough estimate from my head, as i'm boycotting CVS over this whole thing and just using the walgreens across the street). and like i said, i think this CVS shares the lot (legally or not, they share it).

walgreens isn't any better! they pitched a fit and now are taking down several elms planted in the median on N Main Street. And they won't release on their parking either. I plan to count spaces used from my office every day.

and yes, that CVS parking lot is used by anyone shopping in the immediate area and it has far fewer than 73 spaces.

Shouldn't this have happened from the beginning? Couldn't Carcieri have stepped in earlier? Should he get credit for stepping in now or be criticized for waiting until the problem got to this size?

After hearing Charleston, SC Mayor Joseph Riley's talk for PPS last night, I'd say that our gov and mayor could get a lot more involved in telling developers what they can and can't do. From what he said last night, he is very proactive in brokering deals that make Charleston a better place. When his building inspectors would tell him that a historic bldg had to come down, that it was impossible to reuse, he told them to put up scaffolding and wait til the right proposal came around. And they did.

After hearing Charleston, SC Mayor Joseph Riley's talk for PPS last night, I'd say that our gov and mayor could get a lot more involved in telling developers what they can and can't do. From what he said last night, he is very proactive in brokering deals that make Charleston a better place. When his building inspectors would tell him that a historic bldg had to come down, that it was impossible to reuse, he told them to put up scaffolding and wait til the right proposal came around. And they did.

three words

Chi

Ca

Go.

three words

Chi

Ca

Go.

right. Along the same lines, someone else in the audience commented that Riley is from the Cianci (and Daley) tradition. And maybe those guys recognize the value of sticking their necks out (or tightening the screws) to save a landmark. Without Buddy, there would be no more Prov City Hall, no more PPAC, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a public presentation tonight at 7:00 P.M. at the Blackstone Valley Visitors Center (the old Peerless Building), 175 Main Street in Pawtucket. Vanasse Hangen Brustlin will present the findings of its alternatives analysis for the feasibility of restoring commuter rail service to Pawtucket and the location of the station.