PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

• 1 month later...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cities of Pawtucket and Central Falls have tentatively accepted a revised site plan for a proposed CVS pharmacy on the Central Falls half of the historic Central Falls-Pawtucket train station property that will leave the 90-year-old building "intact and undisturbed," the site's developer announced Tuesday. http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/site/news.cf...24491&rfi=6

Good news. This will no doubt still be a suburban looking parcel though, with the CVS/station set back from the street with parking in front, given the layout of the site.

and 73 luscious spaces surrounding the CVS so that they look accessible, yet you have to cross the sea of parking if you're on foot.

and 73 luscious spaces surrounding the CVS so that they look accessible, yet you have to cross the sea of parking if you're on foot.

Happily, at a later date, more enlightened people will be able to fix the crappy CVS and redundant parking situation. I prefer this 'compromise' if it saves the station. I'm looking forward to the day that the CVS gets torn down. :)

Moreau's administration criticized Pawtucket for stalling a viable project for a "pie in the sky."

man I hate that shi-tbag!

:rofl:

The original proposal had the CVS built to Broad St. I'm not sure what the re-work is going to entail, though.

That was really the most annoying thing. The part of the demo that was done was not to clear room for the actual CVS building, it was to clear space for the required parking. So basically it was demo that a) was completely unnecessary other than to try and prove a point, and b) could have been the very last thing done in the construction of the CVS.

The original proposal had the CVS built to Broad St. I'm not sure what the re-work is going to entail, though.

That was really the most annoying thing. The part of the demo that was done was not to clear room for the actual CVS building, it was to clear space for the required parking. So basically it was demo that a) was completely unnecessary other than to try and prove a point, and b) could have been the very last thing done in the construction of the CVS.

That sucks. So now we get to save our building, but we get a craptily designed CVS. It sucks that companies like CVS and developers see that the only way a project is viable is if enough people can easily drive to it. Hello, you're at a potential TRAIN STATION with access to Providence and Boston here, and in a very DENSLEY POPULATED URBAN area. How many people in Central Falls and this area of Pawtucket don't even own cars? Did they bother to research this at all?

That sucks. So now we get to save our building, but we get a craptily designed CVS. It sucks that companies like CVS and developers see that the only way a project is viable is if enough people can easily drive to it. Hello, you're at a potential TRAIN STATION with access to Providence and Boston here, and in a very DENSLEY POPULATED URBAN area. How many people in Central Falls and this area of Pawtucket don't even own cars? Did they bother to research this at all?

i can understand wanting enough parking spaces... but in an area like that 15-20 spaces would be plenty. 73 is just overkill. i'm not sure i've seen any CVS with 73 parking spaces, not even the world's largest in wakefield.

There are probably 73 spaces at the new CVS on Atwood, that is the same type of store they want to put here, as I mentioned upthread somewhere.

I can see more than 20 spaces here if the train station becomes a T stop. however, my crystal ball tells me that CVS will be absolute luddites about letting commuters use their parking spaces, and therefore commuters won't have any place to park and will just use South Attleboro instead, while CVS has 60 empty parking spaces just sitting there all the time.

Edited by brick

There are probably 73 spaces at the new CVS on Atwood, that is the same type of store they want to put here, as I mentioned upthread somewhere.

I can see more than 20 spaces here if the train station becomes a T stop. however, my crystal ball tells me that CVS will be absolute luddites about letting commuters use their parking spaces, and therefore commuters won't have any place to park and will just use South Attleboro instead, while CVS has 60 empty parking spaces just sitting there all the time.

I have a feeling that a LOT of commuters would go to South Attleboro regardless of the parking situation. First of all, the area near the depot is considered a "bad" neighborhood. Secondly, the S Attleboro station has a supermarket, places to eat, a department store, etc.

Realistically, you would have a lot of people going to Boston and so forth who live in the surrounding low-income area or have taken the bus over. And you know how people are... they get nervous around poor folk.

I have a feeling that a LOT of commuters would go to South Attleboro regardless of the parking situation. First of all, the area near the depot is considered a "bad" neighborhood. Secondly, the S Attleboro station has a supermarket, places to eat, a department store, etc.

Guess I'm not part of the "nervous around poor folk" crowd then... I will be using this train stop all the time for my commute to Boston and back.

and isn't the train station what will help to make this area alot better in the long run? For sure not the cvs. When people look back on our culture hundreds of years from now its going to be the historical, functional buildings like the train station that they remember.. not these friggin big box mall landfill hellholes that make everything look cheap (yeah, I'm talking about this cvs as well).

I still don't trust these developers OR Central Falls to have any vision.. we'll see.

I can't wait to see what this CVS will look like. I'm imagining one just like the one they built on Oaklawn Ave in Cranston, a huge stucco-ish looking box with flashy colors and of course plenty of parking all around it... Or like the one at Newport/Armistice in Pawtucket, NO WINDOWS (even though it's built to the street corner for the most part). This is angering me to no end. Central Falls has over 15,000 people per square mile and we want to waste precious space on CVS's parking lot!

the P-CF commuter stop wouldn't be geared on the longer range commuter, i.e. the person who drives from other areas to get to this station. With each new train station that opens, we have to asume that RIPTA will tweak routes and schedules to get people on the trains. There won't be a big need to have a ton of parking here, but there will need to be some. The commuter going to Boston will be able to take the train from Wickford, Warwick, Providence, and South Attleboro and since all of those are right off the highway (pretty much) the P-CF stop would be fine the way it is - a more 'local' stop.

• 2 months later...

C.F. is top pick for T stop. If a commuter rail stop is to be built along the Amtrak lines coursing through Central Falls and Pawtucket, the place where the trains would actually stop should be in Central Falls, a consultant study has concluded. http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/site/news.cf...24491&rfi=6

I wonder if this is a bad thing? Does this mean that Central Falls will be able to give the thumbs down to a train stop? Seems like they don't really care...

I wonder if this is a bad thing? Does this mean that Central Falls will be able to give the thumbs down to a train stop? Seems like they don't really care...

They need to be educated on what the economic development impact of having a train station will be. There will be gentrification issues too.