Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it looks like San Marco Riverwalk is gearing up and getting ready to go.

Bid Date: December 2005

Est. Start Date: January 2006

Description:

New construction and site work for a mixed-use community in Jacksonville. Schematic plans are calling for three, 35-story office buildings, 1,500 condominium units in two 28- and 30-story towers, a nine-story, 200-room hotel, a 28,000-square-foot grocery store, and 90,000 square feet of retail.

Construction is expected to commence in January 2006. Interested parties should direct inquiries to the developer.

http://www.bidclerk.com/projects/projectDe...e5-a849391edad5

I think that's just a mistake. That should be listed as residential towers. Right now, outside of Miami, no market in Florida could support 3 - 35 story office towers.

Last time I heard the hotel was supposed to start this summer, while the first 35 story tower would break ground in Jan. 2006.

Budget item clears way for Ball buy

by Mike Sharkey

Staff Writer

Legislation is working its way through City Council that would appropriate $906,705 to cover maintenance costs at the Ed Ball Building on Hogan Street from May through September.

This will cover the unbudgeted needs and allow the City to purchase the property, which will be used to help consolidate City offices.

The City is in the process of purchasing the 11-story, 400,000 square foot building for approximately $23 million from Pennsylvania-based American Financial Realty Trust and one of the City

Three firefighters injured in downtown blaze

By BRIDGET MURPHY, The Times-Union

Three Jacksonville firefighters were hurt Friday in a blaze authorities said someone purposely set in the garage of a six-story abandoned downtown hotel at Ocean and State streets.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._downfire.shtml

69293_400.jpg

Wow, I really hope that lakelander's former client isn't about to be thrown in jail for arson!!! That looks really bad. Let's actually hope that it was just vagrants.

I'm very sorry to hear about the firefighters, but lets hope that this serves as extra motivation to tear down the building and clean up the site. Considering the ease with which Jacksonville tears down all its beautiful historical buildings, one would think that we could get rid of a building that's actually a useless eyesore. And now it's a dangerous eyesore.

I agree - this place needs to be demolished ASAP. The blame for the fact that this building sits vacant and is not repaced by the proposed condos can be laid at the feet of the environmental regulations which wouldnt let anything be built there. I say if the contaminants are buried under concrete, who the hell cares. How can they pose a risk to someone 4 or 10 stories above. The whole thing is ridiculous.

That sounds like it could be promising. I wonder what the 4am alcohol ordinance would do for buisnesses like those. I know a Starbucks (preferrably an independent coffee shop) would be a great way to wrap up after a night out downtown till 4 in the morning. I really hope that ordinance is passed and some nightlife blossoms down there. Bay Street could be hoppin!!

I wouldn't expect the society to buy the property.  I would expect them to object to the demolition permit.  Often by delaying demolition and publicizing the issue, they can get the owner to either 1) sell to someone who will save the structure 2) save the structure themselves 3) get the structure moved off the site, if feasible 4) maintain the structure until a suitable use of the structure can be found (as opposed to just clearing the lot) or 5) allow certain historical elements of the building to be salvaged before demolition. 

In Charleston, and certain other cities that take historic preservation seriously, the owner would have to prove extreme financial hardship in order to demolish a structure with historic significance. 

I remember a principal with the Peninsula saying that if by a certain point in the construction of the Strand, the Peninsula had sold 95% of it's units, the Strand would not be apartments, but would instead convert to condos before completion.  That point would probably be just before flooring and finishes go in.  A condo would typically have upgraded flooring and finishes as compared to an apartment.  Seeing as how they are at 80% now, and the Strand steel structure is only a few floors above ground, I would say that is very likely to happen.  The Strand units are smaller than the Peninsula, so that might be more affordable too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just wanted to contribute a "late in the game" comment to the building demolition on Broad and Adam's Street:

* The building is now completely demolished, leaving only a pile of rubble on the site.

* The name of the business was Newsom's (not Newman's). It was a well known, established furniture store downtown before it was vacated.

* The only reason the building was demolished was that, like the Center Theatre, it had begun to deteriorate. In fact, the building was quickly condemned after large pieces of the stucco facade began crumbling from the building and falling into the Adams street alleyway. I was told that some of the debris damaged an automobile while it was parked there.

* Living downtown for the past two years and sporadically watching the decay of the building, it was sad to see it come to such an abrupt end. However, it is better to lose one building to the wrecking ball than see the building injure a passerby on the street (imagine the wonderful PR downtown would receive as a result of that one... :( )

And besides, wouldn't our energies be better focused on all the unnecessary demolition being perpetrated on 8th street in Springfield? Shouldn't Craig Van Horn get a personal love letter for this travesty (in the form of something other than a "Person of the Year" award from John Citrone, i mean... :whistling: )?

I am in no way shape or form in the know, but is it me, or does the pipeline for large projects seem incredibly quite. Its good to here about bisuness moving downtown, but nothing major has been announced in a few months (with the exception of Hyatt). JEA is about to start taking bids, but that is something that was expected for a while. Anybody heard anything.

Anyway.. just curious

Josh

^Actually, there have been some new projects announced in the pipeline recently. A new residential mid-high rise on Union Street, an office building on Riverside Avenue.... Also, we've been hearing about progress being made on deals such as the Landing/City deal, the Shipyards, Riverpointe developers, and RFP's for the Haydon Burns Library.

Sure, Jax's pipeline isn't as full as Miami's, but it has picked up a bit. :)

Archived