Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's official. At least we will get a reputable company downtown to run it:

The Business Journal of Jacksonville - 7:31 PM EST Tuesday

Adam's Mark becoming Hyatt

Liz Flaisig

The 966-room Adam's Mark will change owners on April 1 and become the city's first Hyatt hotel.

Oxford Lodging Advisory & Investment Group LLC and Longwing Real Estate Ventures LLC will buy the Downtown hotel from St. Louis-based HBE Corp. The new ownership group, called Jacksonville Waterfront Partners LLC, confirmed the sale in a press release sent out late Tuesday.

The group has not revealed how much it will pay for the hotel, though the most recent negotiations for the building included an $8 million loan request to the city by Marriott International Inc.

As of Thursday, Hyatt will assume management of the hotel and prepare for $10 million of renovations. The property will be renamed the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront.

The $121 million Adam's Mark had been up for sale for more than one year after opening in 2001. Its sale marks HBE's most recent effort to market the private hotel chain after selling eight of its properties last year.

UF students offer Southbank solutions

by J. Brooks Terry

Staff Writer

Urban design students from the University of Florida traveled to Jacksonville last week, bringing with them renderings of potential development blueprints for the Southbank.

Part of a semester-long project, the fourth year students were broken up into seven teams, each focusing on a singular facet of redevelopment in the area including entertainment, retail, education and corporate components.

Colorful streetpole banners are being installed in downtown right now. I can't figure out how to post a picture to show them.

They say:

be inspired. be downtown.

be entertained. be downtown.

be amused. be downtown

be different. be downtown.

The daily record will have a story with pictures sometime this week.

Sounds good, I can't wait to see them.

If the picture you seek to post is already on the internet, just follow these steps to post the picture.

1. Click on the "Add Reply" button on the bottom right side of the page.

2. Click on the "IMG" Button, located in the top center of the screen.

3. Insert the picture's web address into the box and click ok.

4. Click "Add Reply" at the bottom of the reply screen and you're finished.

If the picture is on your hard drive, you'll have to upload it from your computer on a host site first.

Here's a link to a free photo host site:

www.photobucket.com

Landing deal could spur area's redevelopment

Liz Flaisig

Staff Writer

DOWNTOWN -- A proposed $13.2 million deal that would transfer 11.2 acres at The Jacksonville Landing from the city to the retail center's owner has bolstered the potential for resolution of a larger contractual dispute that has stalled redevelopment of nearby property.

Mayor's office Chief of Staff Steve Diebenow on March 30 confirmed that the city next week will present a draft settlement to national health benefits company Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), which had defaulted on a contract with the city to build a Downtown parking garage.

The garage would have held up to 1,100 spaces, part of which the city had planned to lease to fulfill its agreement to provide up to 600 space for Landing patrons.

The city's default on its contract to provide parking spaces to the Landing because the Humana garage was not built had hindered redevelopment by property owners and potential buyers in Downtown's Central Business District, particularly north of the Landing along south Laura and Adams streets.

If the city's proposed $13.2 million agreement with Landing owner Toney Sleiman is passed by City Council, it would resolve outstanding parking requirements for the retail center by providing $3.5 million for a portion of a 900-space parking garage, with 300 spaces that would be designated for public use.

With the future of the retail landmark's parking known, its pending improvements and Downtown's overall parking increased, other present and potential property owners will look to the Humana settlement's resolution as a final hurdle to quickening the pace of Downtown's redevelopment.

"If everything is settled with the Landing and Humana, what it means is that plans for several parcels of land can move forward," said Mark Rimmer, consultant for Downtown Vision Inc., a business improvement district created by Downtown property owners in 1999.

"Because you have a denser environment than in a suburban setting, everything that happens impacts everywhere else. ... There are several projects tied up, directly or indirectly, with these different issues."

Among those projects are plans for the former Humana building, which Capital Partners Inc. bought along with an adjacent vacant lot in January 2004.

Although Capital Partners Chief Operating Officer Bill Evans declined to comment because the city had not reached signed agreements with Sleiman or Humana, the company last year said it might use the land adjacent to the former Humana Building, now called the SunTrust Tower, for a condominium tower or Westin hotel. Both would include a parking garage with up to 1,200 spaces.

As for how soon the Landing agreement might go through and pave the way for the Humana settlement, Sleiman said he was unsure.

"Whenever you have something this big, you'll have changes," Sleiman said. "Maybe when we go before the Council or other boards, somebody will have an idea and we'll say 'let's do that.' Right now, though, nothing stands out."

Sleiman and the city on March 9 announced a proposed agreement that would resolve the city's obligation to provide parking for the Landing. Draft provisions include transferring city ownership of the Landing property, a nearby eastern parcel, land underneath the nearby Main Street Bridge and a portion of Hogan Street to Sleiman's company, Jacksonville Landing Investments LLC, a subsidiary of Sleiman Enterprises Inc.

Sleiman and the city have been negotiating for more than a year, with talks falling through and resuming amid the Jacksonville developer's requests. Those requests have included a city-financed $21.5 million loan for renovations and $3.5 million of the Landing's property taxes going toward its improvements.

Sleiman became a party to the Humana settlement after purchasing the Landing in 2003.

The related negotiations have been between the city and Humana, though Sleiman must sign off on the deal.

Diebenow declined to release specifics of the draft settlement with Humana because he said it is being drawn up by the city's Office of General Counsel.

"We have been talking about the settlement but we're still negotiating and we don't have a firm deal," Diebenow said. "I expect some property and some money will be involved, but that's just speculation until the deal is done."

Humana in 2002 received land at Sister Cities Park and Plaza at Hogan and Bay streets for the garage as part of a $6.9 million incentives package. Diebenow said Humana repaid the city for the economic incentives when it decided to move its offices and sell the Laura Street building.

A Humana spokesman did not return calls for comment.

[email protected] | 265-2227

Homeless center breaks ground on children's building

Two North Florida construction companies are donating their services for the construction of a new children's wing at the I.M. Sulzbacher Center for the Homeless.

The North Florida division of D.R. Horton Inc. (NYSE: DHI) and the W.G. Pitts Co. will together provide construction services for the William R. and Frances B. Barnett Children's Building.

Representatives from the construction companies and the homeless center were joined by Mayor John Peyton in a groundbreaking ceremony Monday. The Frances Barnett Charitable trust provided funding for the facility, which will cover nearly 2,000 square feet and feature computer labs, a small library and recreation areas.

"We'll offer a host of activities including karate lessons, tutoring sessions and other planned events," said Sherry Burns, president and CEO of the Sulzbacher Center. "We commend D.R. Horton, the W.G. Pitts Co. and all of our contributing sponsors who have helped to make this wonderful vision a reality."

Later this spring the homeless center will break ground on a 25,000-square-foot medical facility that will also house the center's administrative offices.

Am I the only one who thinks that a homeless shelter is a horrible use for this area? Why not put the homeless shelter farther away from the river in an area not in demand? This is probably the worst land use I can imagine.

ART WALK TOMORROW NIGHT!

Last month we estimated between 7,500 and 10,000 on the streets of Downtown Jax. Thanks to good weather and LOTS of live JAZZ this one could be the biggest in Art Walk History. Please try to come Downtown and see what we're all about! And if you cannot make it, please read, cut, paste, and forward to your friends so that we may continue to build on one of the biggest and best Art Walks in the country.

Word. :thumbsup:

First Wednesday Art Walk

Downtown Vision, Inc. and Suddath present:

The First Wednesday Art Walk Downtown

April 6, 2005

5:00-8:00 p.m

8:00-10:00 p.m. After Party at Caf

City might review restaurant lease

River City Brewing Co. and "best use" of city-owned riverfront property at issue.

By MARY KELLI PALKA, The Times-Union

Jacksonville officials are thinking about buying the River City Brewing Co. out of its lease on city-owned property to provide local residents more access to the Southbank Riverwalk, Mayor John Peyton said Tuesday.

Peyton first shared that thought with about 100 top supporters as part of regularly scheduled private policy briefings. Peyton later repeated some of his comments to the Times-Union, the first time he has publicly talked about how he sees the city using the land next to Friendship Fountain and the Museum of Science and History.

He said he wants to keep the focus and excitement on downtown, which played center stage in February when the city hosted the Super Bowl. The way Peyton sees it, the land where the River City Brewing Co. sits is one of the last opportunities for the city to control riverfront property on the Southbank.

He said he could foresee the land being used for multi-purposes, including housing, retail and dining.

"I think we need to explore what is the highest and best use of that property," Peyton said.

He said he also wants to make Friendship Fountain more interactive, similar to Kids Kampus at Metropolitan Park on the Northbank.

The restaurant operators own the building and are seven years into a 99-year lease with the city. Peyton said River City officials asked to buy the land last year for $400,000. The city turned down the offer. A 2001 appraisal estimated the land's value at $4.9 million.

Peyton said this is a time to revisit all property the city controls to make sure the city is getting the best use of its dollar.

The restaurant, which has about 100 employees, was popular during the Super Bowl, hosting the Playboy party and other star-studded shindigs. River City Brewing General Manager Dan Fouty said he can't discuss the issue. He said he's sure that every piece of property in downtown has been the focus of gossip. He referred questions to co-owner Anthony Candelino, who couldn't be reached for comment.

In 1993, the city rented about 3.4 acres to River City Brewing Co. with exclusive rights to 175 parking spaces next to the restaurant. Then in 1998, the operators of River City purchased the building from the city under a 99-year lease for the land.

The restaurant agreed to pay $30,000 annually for its base rent during the first 20 years of its lease and $40,000 each year for the remaining years. In addition, the restaurant would pay the city a half of 1 percent of gross revenues over $4.5 million. Specific details on how much the restaurant has paid the city in rent weren't available Tuesday.

04/06/2005

More from the Jaxdailyrecord.com today

Lerner developer promises progress

but city still needs paperwork

The Lerner Building construction site has been empty since January, say neighbors.

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

In the case of the disappearing developers, the City has few leads.

Both the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission and the City

as for river city brewing - i think the restaurant is a good fit for the area. i don't see why the city would want to replace it with something else. now, the parking lot is another matter. the city should let river city brewing purchase their building at a discount, in exchange for taking over the parking lot, and selling it to a developer. talk about a perfect place for another residential high-rise.

as for the lerner building - i hope kimmik is being truthful, and that they will resume work soon. eliminating the 7th floor addition certainly shouldn't jeopardize their historic preservation grant. in fact, it would only make their qualifications for the grant even stronger.

as for river city brewing - i think the restaurant is a good fit for the area. i don't see why the city would want to replace it with something else. now, the parking lot is another matter. the city should let river city brewing purchase their building at a discount, in exchange for taking over the parking lot, and selling it to a developer. talk about a perfect place for another residential high-rise.

as for the lerner building - i hope kimmik is being truthful, and that they will resume work soon. eliminating the 7th floor addition certainly shouldn't jeopardize their historic preservation grant. in fact, it would only make their qualifications for the grant even stronger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

River City already owns their building, according to the article. The issue is the land underneath it. I see no reason to give them any kind of discount. Their lease terms are already pretty good if you ask me. In 99 years when there rent is still only $40,000, it will probably be a tremendous bargain. There should have been an escalation clause in that lease.

The city will probably have to pay them a huge sum to break their lease. The better alternative would be to negotiate new terms that would include a new River City location as part of a new large mixed-use project.

I hope while they are making changes to Friendship Fountain, they will move the unattractive "pump station" for the fountain. Maybe it can go underground or at least out of sight.

Also, this would be the perfect time to consider the future of MOSH. An expansion or relocation might be in order. I think an entire master plan needs to be developed for ALL city owned property in the downtown area. If that had been done earlier, there might not be a jail one block form the river, or a convention center in the middle of nothing.

I'm glad Lerner is scratching the 7th floor. I never really liked that idea. And hopefully it will indeed take months of the project schedule, like they say.

I've actually drawn up plans for River City's parking lot. I built a residential tower, with lots of ground floor retail, and left River City intact, and connected the restaurant to the other retail. The building's garage is above the retail, and it has public parking for MOSH/River City customers as well as private parking for residents. I also extended the Riverwalk past River City, and built a riverwalk bridge over the train tracks, to connect with Riverpointe.

I wish I could build that building!

Archived