West Palm Beach & Palm Beach County

bobliocatt

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Where'd you hear that, and which downtown block is it?? My guess is that it's one of the four blocks in the northern "Family Water Science Park"...

Lois Frankel seems to be quite the urban advocate, and I love that!

It's the 'tent block'. The one directly south of Opera Place. And I'm pretty sure one of the WPB forumers mentioned it.

Splashy design offered for West Palm waterfront

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbccentral/co...front_1114.html

image_1944324.jpg

A computer rendering shows an unobstructed view of the Intracoastal Waterway looking east over the fountain at the end of Clematis Street and the site of the current downtown library.

Are they doing Karate?

It's the 'tent block'. The one directly south of Opera Place. And I'm pretty sure one of the WPB forumers mentioned it.

Oh, that's awesome! I hate that block lol... That area is ripe with skyscraper development. I would hope that the northern areas of downtown would see some more towers soon.

Are they doing Karate?

:lol: The fake people in that pic do look very retarded...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Hi, Alex! Welcome to UrbanPlanet! :)

I agree, the Cityplace Tower is my favorite, and I can't wait to see it come out of the ground. I believe the sales center is under construction. The fancy trailer building is being built on the grass lot where Okeechobee splits into one way streets, right across from the tower site.

But I may be wrong, and that might be the South Tower sales center. Or could be both!

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

I like how the developers keep stressing the tower's "Hurricane Readiness" as a selling point. Very interesting.

I don't think we'll see the crane in action on February 24th, the date the article said construction would begin. Currently, the site is still a fully functional parking lot, that's yet to be cleared.

Some pics, in case others aren't familiar with the design:

OkeechobeeEast.jpg

PlazaView.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

banner3.jpg

center.jpg

UPDATE: December 20, 2005

Approved City Center Plan Layouts

Click Here to see the video of the project!

Wow, I had heard that the City Center project was dead! I really like that rendering, though that round window reminded me of the 1990s lol.... But I absolutely LOVE the dome! I hope that parking garage has ground floor retail; I can't tell from the rendering.

EDIT: After viewing the video, I can say that this project has great street interaction on all four streets that surround this block! (Clematis, Quadrille, Banyan, Dixie) But surprisingly, the model of City Hall in the video did not have the dome from the above rendering....

• 1 month later...

banner3.jpg

center.jpg

UPDATE: December 20, 2005

Approved City Center Plan Layouts

Click Here to see the video of the project!

Wow, I had heard that the City Center project was dead! I really like that rendering, though that round window reminded me of the 1990s lol.... But I absolutely LOVE the dome! I hope that parking garage has ground floor retail; I can't tell from the rendering.

EDIT: After viewing the video, I can say that this project has great street interaction on all four streets that surround this block! (Clematis, Quadrille, Banyan, Dixie) But surprisingly, the model of City Hall in the video did not have the dome from the above rendering....

That's sweet! I can also tell that the style of the windows echos the Cityplace Tower. I found out that Croker is building it, the same guy that built us Mizner Park, the Boca Center, Mission Bay Plaza, and many more!

In other news, the D+D Center was demolished to make way for the new city center. See my new thread for more details.

Lastly... I'm actually going to miss the old city hall when demolished to built a mixed-use complex (ANOTHER!). It could have easily been converted into an office building or something. I like the brutalist style.

• 3 weeks later...

^I've never met anyone that liked brutalist style. Very interesting! You should post a topic that has different pics of brutalist buildings. I really dislike our current city hall, lol....

Do you have an image of the old WPB city hall? As you know, I like in Boca and DO NOT want to beg my mom into going that far since my dog had anal problems at the moment. :rofl:

Archived