How far can you see your cities skyline?

motonenterprises

I don't expect a Greenville or Columbia to compete with lets say a Atlanta or Charlotte. I can see the Landmark Building(BB&T) from the Fairview Road Bridge in Simpsonville that crosses over I-385. I think this is roughly about 15 miles away. Didn't realize that building could be seen that far off.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you can also see the Columbia skyline out in Ft. Jackson, not sure how far away that is b/c I don't remember exactly where in Ft. Jackson it was but when I was in high school we would have our weekly cross country meets there and I remember you could see DT Columbia from out there. As far as Greenville and Spartanburg I could see there DT from about halfway up Table Rock. It's difficult to make out but you can see way off in the horizon DT Greenville and Spartanburg. Myrtle Beach/ N. Myrtle Beach you can see buildings pretty much up and down the coast no matter where you are on the strip.

• 2 weeks later...

You can see downtown Greenville from a spot along the Raven Cliff Falls trail up at Ceasars Head State Park. I've been there many a time while growing up. You ought to take a pair of binoculars to scan the horizon, because it can be difficult to spot on a hazy day. This hike is one that I highly recommend for all visitors to the area. It's really easy, and only about a 4mi. round trip. The waterfall is the signature waterfall in South Carolina (400ft vertical drop). There is also a trail you can take to a swinging bridge built over the very top of the falls. :blink:

• 1 year later...

Let's see... for the Columbia's skyline there's the Lake Murray Dam which is roughly 10-15 miles away from downtown. The best view of the skyline may be from the White Knoll High School area on Platt Springs Road in Red Bank. Expansive view from about 15 miles away.

out towards Gadsden where I-77 ends there's a great view of Columbia's skyline. it's about 13, 14 miles out.

I really like the view driving up 302 from Gaston. I don't know if that's the one you are talking about Istvan. Has the Lake Murray back up dam affected the view of Columbia, I haven't been that way in over a year?

No, that view hasn't been affected.

Here's the shot I was referring to in my previous post:

http://static.flickr.com/49/149846818_786c83b015_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glo_pix/149846818/

It was actually taken from Pretty Place rather than the Cesar's Head overlook. My mistake.

Paris Mountain and Greenville are right in the center of the image (you may have to scroll over a bit if you don't have a super high resolution display).

Archived