Springfield

vicupstate

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This is actually north of Springfield, but I'd thought I'd post it here anyway.

City will revamp housing projects

Ground was broken Thursday on an 51 acre infill project that will replace the demolished Brentwood housing projects. Totaling at 423 units, it will include 228 apartments, a 100 unit senior center and 95 single family homes, on the Northside of the property. As a part of the project, Shands Jacksonville will build a medical clinic on site, as well. Hopefully this will provide a shot in the arm for Brentwood.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19662176.shtml

• 4 weeks later...

Recently there have been several murders that the local news brands as happening in Springfield when this is just not the case. I know one of them was at 7th and Blue Ave, which is not even close...it is on the other side of I-95. Springfield is not everything north of downtown, it is 1st through 12th and Ionia to Boulevard. I think the local news needs to realize this. One block in this part of town is the difference between upscale houses and rooming houses. Several miles from Springfield is a whole different world. Get it straight THE local station.

^ Most recently, a teenager was shot dead near Phelps street. That's near the old-city cemetary, and (shockingly) the public housing projects. You might fairly call that area "East Jax," but of course the news media called it Springfield. Nevermind the address is not even in an area that was ever called Springfield. Heck, it would be more accurate to just call it "downtown" ...

But you are absolutely right Lunican ... the media calls everything between State Street & MLK parkway "Springfield." And since most of the neighborhoods to the North, East, and Southeast of Springfield are horridly crime-ridden, it reflects very poorly on how nice the Historic District itself is.

Lunican: This is a big pet peeve of mine too. I have Emailed WOKV in the past and received an apology for an egregious use of the term "Springfield" when the crime really occurred in Moncrief or something. I think the thing to do is keep hitting these ignoramuses with complaints by Email and phone until it stops happening.

• 2 weeks later...

These homeless advocates are like a bad penny - we just cant seem to get rid of them. Drive a stake in their sappy hearts and end the project. I would rather see an empty lot there than a homeless shelter, expecially considering the dubious benefit these shelters provide to the intended recipients and society at large.

These homeless advocates are like a bad penny - we just cant seem to get rid of them. Drive a stake in their sappy hearts and end the project. I would rather see an empty lot there than a homeless shelter, expecially considering the dubious benefit these shelters provide to the intended recipients and society at large.

These shelters are money making ventures for these people. They get $$$$ from the gov't to set up some beds and hand out food and counseling. There is no reason to open another shelter, go to any shelter in this area and you will see that they all have space available and people still don't go to them. I wonder why they don't move their offices to the Springfield property and try to turn their Riverside/Avondale office into a shelter? That would be fun to watch

Whitey: I have never considered that angle. I always thought these homeless shelter advocates were just naive liberals. That is a good point re the financial aspects. Follow the money for the motivation. The real truth about "homeless" shelters are that you can never build enough to cure the problem. The problem is that a certain percentage of people choose not to work and to get messed up on drugs and alcohol all day. Another percentage of the populace is mentally ill and needs to be treated. The homeless shelters like to talk about the homeless families, but the reality is if you work you will have a home in America. There are many government benefits available for those unable to work too. These places are nothing more than halfway houses for bums unfortunately.

By the way, before I am accused of being cold hearted, I am in favor of no one being "homeless". If I were King, I would have housing available for all those who are truly unable to work and who desire housing. Those who choose to live on the streets and drink/use drugs, I would incarcerate in mandatory treatment facilities. Those who are mentally ill would be placed in mental hospitals for treatment and medication with the goal of return to normal society. Thus, we would have no bums on the street scaring people and running off families and the homeless themselves would be properly medicated, counseled and cared for without harassing law abiding people.

A mixed use project with 25 residential units and 5 commercial units is proposed for the E. H. Thompson building on the corner of Main and Orange (close to Confederate Park).

The building will be returned to Klutho's original design.

Thanks to urbanjacksonville for the scoop!! The T-U and Business Journal need this guy as a reporter!

Urbanjacksonville

Awesome news! You want to see Confederate Park finally cleaned up just put some serious tax-paying residents next door! That and the project at State and Union will really help bridge the gap between downtown and Springfield. Maybe someday we could get that trolley to run up Main Street like the one they modeled it after!

Here's a picture of the original Klutho facade.

rc17942.jpg

Its well known that there was a coal gasification plant on this site, 100 years ago. This is the main reason why the tower proposal for the hotel site across the street was abandoned. With this announcement, I assume the pollution problem is only and issue if the buildings are torn down and replaced. If this is the case, the old Parkview Hotel has great potential to become a building that can be renovated (like the Telecom Building) to house affordable condos or apartments.

photo tour of e.h. thompson

Jay Silliman, the developer of the proposed condo project at Main and Orange, was kind enough to meet DowntownParks and UrbanJacksonville over lunch for an extensive tour of the building. Jay outlined his vision for the structure and we must say we are very excited about this project.

read full story

just show me the photos

I only had time to upload about half of the photos. More are on the way.

Archived