Springfield

vicupstate

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Mr. __________:

Thank you for writing Mayor Peyton regarding River Region Human Services' proposal to procure the old Job Corps building.  He is out of the office this week, so I am responding on his behalf to your concerns. 

At this early stage, the fate of the building, which is owned by the federal government, is still undetermined.  Currently, the city has no role in its disposition. The General Services Administration (GSA) is the federal department that is involved in the disposal of the federal surplus property.  We understand they are still reviewing River Region's application but the property has not been awarded to them. 

There will be a Springfield neighborhood meeting on Wednesday, June 8th at 7:30 p.m. at Henrietta's Restaurant (corner of 9th & Main Street) regarding this issue.  Representatives from the city's Planning & Zoning Department and Historic Preservation Commission, as well as a representative from the GSA, are scheduled to attend.   

Thanks again for writing Mayor Peyton.  He will be following this issue very closely. 

Sincerely,

Jill Leavy

Written Communications

Office of the Mayor

This is the response I got to my Email to the Mayor. I Emailed them this back:

Dear Jill:

Thank you for your prompt reply to my Email.  My understanding of the matter is that, even if the GSA awards the building to River Region, the city can prevent its use as a homeless/rehab center by refusing to rezone it for that use.  As an historic building in Springfield that has been vacant for over one year, it cannot be legally used as a homeless shelter.  Thus, without City Council and Mayoral approval, this project cannot go forward.  Is this your understanding also and is it the intention of the Mayor to support this use or oppose it?  Thanks again for your help with this important matter.

Sincerely,

--snip--

Europeans love to brag about how lovely their core cities are compared to America (which is true). But they usually forget to mention how they stick most of their undesireables out in the suburbs ... whereas we chose to rape our downtowns.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, but in Europe the concept of the villiage idiot (usually a homeless person of dubious mental state or with a substance abuse problem or two) is still found charming; it has been tradition since the middle ages :D .

Perhaps we, in Springfield, should propose a "fair share" program for hosting residential treatment facilities that would enforce a minimum distance between facilities. Jacksonville is big enough that the distance could be a radial 10 miles and service organizations such as RRHS would still be able to address all of their clients (the word patient appears to be taboo here). This would accomplish the same thing the Europeans have while not excluding the urban core.

There was one speaker last night (a new, female resident whose name I have forgotten from WPB) who had some good figures on crime, drug recitivism rates, etc.. and Terence (a resident and a friend) made some excellent points and received some of the most exciting ovation of the night. I asked whether or not the Department of the Interior would have any regulation or interest in how this building is used since it does sit in a National Historic District (regulated by the DOI via the National Parks Service). The GSA rep either missed what my question meant or was too well trained in talking in circles. It didn't help that I was hungry and dehydrated and kept stumbling over "National Parks Service".

There was mention of it the day of or day before the meeting in the FL T-U. This idea is just so outrageously bad, I am still in shock that anyone has enough of a warped mind to propose it. Not only is the use shockingly out of phase with the rest of the neighborhood (certainly in that part of the neighborhood at least), but it is, like someone said, located in a premier spot in Springfield. Unbelievable!

A vote was taken thursday night and it was decided that SPAR will voice their opinion in favor of the demolition of the Redell Street houses. This just means that will be SPAR's recommendation to the review board that actually makes the decision. Of course I'm sure the very vocal SPAR members that disagree with this will be at future meetings lobbying for preservation.

I am happy with this decision. The owner of the property has stated there are 2 options: demolition with new construction or no action and the houses sit there boarded up forever. At this point in Springfield's life, preventing money from being invested in the neighborhood is an extrememly bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the most rediculous article I've seen concerning this issue. Since when has a homeless shelter ever been good for a residential neighborhood?

Luckily I have a solution to the homeless problem. There's a large mostly abandoned industrial area, boxed in by McCoys Creek, I-95 and the railyards along Beaver, that would be a perfect centralized location for what I call "Homelessville".

The idea would be to basically remove all homeless shelters, soup kitchens and half way houses out of downtown and residential areas into this 80% abandoned mid 1950/60's era warehouse district. As you can see, from the aerial, its perfectly buffered, yet within close distance to the center of town.

jaxhomelessville18xy.jpg

Wow, Lakelander ... that is almost the exact same idea I had. Right down to the specific area boundaries. I'd just never mentioned it for fear of backlash.

I guess great minds think alike ;)

It really is such a damn shame too, because there are so many vacant blocks in LaVilla and the Stadium district that would be fabulous for middle income residential development ... yet no one will ever want to live next door to a bunch of drug addicts and schizophrenics. (And, yes, I know that a large number of homeless people are out-of-luck families, even with children. But those are not the types of homeless people that loiter around the streets of downtown all day and night.)

1. Wanda Lanier is another bright public servant working for someone besides herself, which somehow makes her a target? She may be a do-gooder (can't imagine how that could be a negative) but she is certainly not a simpleton. If you take the time to read her LETTER you would see that each line is a fact. One could infer that she supports the homeless use of the job corps building but that is not stated nor do I think that she does. Shes helping to work on a solution not poking fingers in chests. And the poking will only get a galvanized opposition where I think economics and the planning dept with the historic pres people have an air tight case. Its a jump to think that this letter is against Springfield. Just like when I illustrated the actual hurdles of the center, folks thought I supported it. Settle down. She was highlighting the fight. As a bright person might do, she has a solution not just an attack.

And this Blueprint for the Future was built by key stakeholders (if there are any on this board you may want to speak up) including the City of Jacksonville, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Jacksonville Housing Authority, Jacksonville Housing Commission, Florida Department of Children and Families, United Way of Northeast Florida, Downtown Vision, Inc., non-profits, and faith-based orgs. Tell officer Suter he's a simpleton.

2. The occupancy on Dennis St is reverse that. Its more like 20% vacany and many pieces are under contract due to the Forrest St exit in the Big I. Further, all of your map that is undeveloped is under some number of feet of ash and is not developable unless the polluter (coj) cleans it up and they will do that when the feds say they have to and only where they say they have to and presumeably at a cost where it won't be to develop homes for the homeless.

3. yes, I know that a large number of homeless people are out-of-luck families, even with children. But those are not the types of homeless people that loiter around the streets of downtown all day and night.

You are right. Without Wanda and the list of orgs that made the blueprint they would be the types you see wandering the city night and day and a lot more of them.

4. My advice while people smarter than us and those who chose to participate (thats a challenge) are working on the solutions you do this- Do not ever, EVER give a panhandler money. If you are near Adams St which you are if you are on the northbank send them east to Sulzbacher or west to the salvation army, its easy. These institutions will give them what they need (not what they want- which is usually malt liquor). How can I say that? Because I have to clean it up. Because I'm down here everyday and I am involved.

:cry: This is my last post on Urban Planet. Good luck to those heading to college. Come back to Jax. Go Noles.

4. My advice while people smarter than us and those who chose to participate (thats a challenge) are working on the solutions you do this- Do not ever, EVER give a panhandler money.  If you are near Adams St which you are if you are on the northbank send them east to Sulzbacher or west to the salvation army, its easy. These institutions will give them what they need (not what they want- which is usually malt liquor).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's basically the best advice anyone can ever give on that topic. NEVER give panhandlers money.

This was a HUGE problem where I went to college in Rhode Island. There were dozens of social service organizations downtown, but vagrants still hung out on the comercial strip next to campus - over a mile away. They did this because kind hearted students gave them money *all the time* so they could always buy some fast food, cigarettes, or beer (and promptly throw the wrappers on the ground). Meanwhile, there were useful social services that could have offered them free healthy food, substance abuse counciling, and maybe even a job. But all these ignorant people think they are doing a good deed when they give away spare change.

Anyway, TUC, it sounds like you are very upset because Riverside gator insulted your friend. But, I think it's fair to be critical of her letter. It doesn't matter how great a person she is ... just because the homeless need help, doesn't justify putting a shelter in a residential area. That kind of thinking is what killed the streetcar suburbs in the first place. However, I'm sure the TU probably edited her letter, and took out a lot of the details that would have clarified her statements in a more possitive light.

Though I can certainly understand your leaving the forum. You are actually involved in development and now city government. Many of us don't even live in Jax at the moment, and are sort of development "fans" from afar.

1. Wanda Lanier is another bright public servant working for someone besides herself, which somehow makes her a target? She may be a do-gooder (can't imagine how that could be a negative) but she is certainly not a simpleton. If you take the time to read her LETTER you would see that each line is a fact. One could infer that she supports the homeless use of the job corps building but that is not stated nor do I think that she does. Shes helping to work on a solution not poking fingers in chests. And the poking will only get a galvanized opposition where I think economics and the planning dept with the historic pres people have an air tight case. Its a jump to think that this letter is against Springfield. Just like when I illustrated the actual hurdles of the center, folks thought I supported it. Settle down. She was highlighting the fight. As a bright person might do, she has a solution not just an attack.

I don't think its a jump to relate this letter to the Springfield situation, since its directly mentions this:

Meanwhile, a reputable service provider fights with Springfield residents to locate a facility that will provide treatment and housing to homeless people who desperately need such help.

These events do not point to a first-class city, one that boasted of hosting the Super Bowl only five months ago. There are many issues that our city leaders are struggling to address.

What does residents fighting to keep a homeless shelter out of their neighborhood have to do with this being a first-class city or not?

2. The occupancy on Dennis St is reverse that. Its more like 20% vacany and many pieces are under contract due to the Forrest St exit in the Big I. Further, all of your map that is undeveloped is under some number of feet of ash and is not developable unless the polluter (coj) cleans it up and they will do that when the feds say they have to and only where they say they have to and presumeably at a cost where it won't be to develop homes for the homeless.
There's plenty of other areas that would be suitable. Nobody is saying that helping the homeless is an unworthy cause, we just really need to think about where to place these establishments. Imo, under no circumstances should they be in residential neighborhoods.

:cry: This is my last post on Urban Planet. Good luck to those heading to college. Come back to Jax. Go Noles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to see you go. It was fun while it lasted, good luck to the future and keep up the good work. :)

Good news concerning Main Street:

More on area streetscape improvements: Phase Two of the Main Street improvement project should get started before the end of the summer. Blocks between 4th and 12th streets will be resurfaced and landscaped. Utility upgrades are also expected. You

Urban Jacksonville BLOG

Craig Van Horn, developer of the 8th & Pearl project is now buying an apartment building at 122 8th St. You can see a picture at the link above. This guy has a great blog.

The SPAR website is saying that Walgreens is planning a store at 8th & Perry, which is between the 8th & Pearl project and Shands.

Archived